• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Little help on transporting law with CPL?

Tucker6900

imported post

Leader wrote:
"Also, as for not needing to tell an officer about your weapon, he already knows you own one and may be carrying if you hold a cpl. Remember that piece of metal on your back bumper, the one that is linked to your name and history? I admit I do not know for certain if you are legally obligated to inform the LEO (I took it for granted when I was trained by a local police sergeant and he told me that was law) but I would certainly not want to make an officer think I may be hiding my weapon in my lap when he is coming up to my car."

Jeff... The OP is driving someone elses truck, the license plate won't tell the officer anything about him.

Your license plate does not hold your CPL information (In Michigan at least). Your DL does. I asked this specific question at the SOS a week ago while registering a new vehicle. The interaction went like this:

Me: "Does my CPL status show up on all new registrations automatically?"

SOS: "Your CPL status is not linked in your registration or license plate. Its only your DL that holds that information."

Me: "Are you sure? Because my CPL instructor informed me that the opposite was true?"

SOS(with a smile): "Well I would ask for you money back. Look. (she spins the screen around so I can see). No CPL information. Now, if I type in your DL number, yep, there it is!"

She went on to say that having it linked to your registration/plate number would only do the officers any good if you were in your car. Thats why itson your DL.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Tucker6900 wrote:
Your license plate does not hold your CPL information (In Michigan at least). Your DL does. I asked this specific question at the SOS a week ago while registering a new vehicle. The interaction went like this:

Me: "Does my CPL status show up on all new registrations automatically?"

SOS: "Your CPL status is not linked in your registration or license plate. Its only your DL that holds that information."

Me: "Are you sure? Because my CPL instructor informed me that the opposite was true?"

SOS(with a smile): "Well I would ask for you money back. Look. (she spins the screen around so I can see). No CPL information. Now, if I type in your DL number, yep, there it is!"

She went on to say that having it linked to your registration/plate number would only do the officers any good if you were in your car. Thats why itson your DL.
That IS GOOD info to know and it makes sense WOW.

Tucker6900

imported post

Venator wrote:
That IS GOOD info to know and it makes sense WOW.
And I believe that is the reason why we have to inform of carrying during a stop. The officers doesnt know otherwise unless he runs your DL.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

But, when they run the license plate on the in-car computer they CAN get the info on the registered owner which they can then access; so, in a round-about sort of way, it is accessible but not as readily as just running the plate through. Also, many PO's don't have computers in their cars yet so they just call in that they are stopping a certain vehicle with plate #. Then, when they return to the car, with license in hand, dispatch gives them the information. Whether dispatch runs the DL of the owner is probably a policy issue, but I'm guessing not unless the officer specifically asked.

snake021

imported post

DrTodd wrote:
But, when they run the license plate on the in-car computer they CAN get the info on the registered owner which they can then access; so, in a round-about sort of way, it is accessible but not as readily as just running the plate through. Also, many PO's don't have computers in their cars yet so they just call in that they are stopping a certain vehicle with plate #. Then, when they return to the car, with license in hand, dispatch gives them the information. Whether dispatch runs the DL of the owner is probably a policy issue, but I'm guessing not unless the officer specifically asked.

Speaking of computers and plates, have you all seen/heard about these?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/01/AR2008080103570_pf.html

Cincinnati OH has a couple.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Tucker6900 wrote:
If all the tags are kept on file, this also shows police were a particular vehicle was at the time of the recording. Used to place a vehicle near a scene of a crime, could also be part of an alibi "I was at the home depot at that time" and they might have you on record for being there...or at least your car. Definitely something to be concerned about, but it looks like it's here to stay.

Bronson

imported post

DrTodd wrote:
But, when they run the license plate on the in-car computer they CAN get the info on the registered owner which they can then access
That is as it was explained to me by an officer. They can access the info but it does NOT come through on a standard traffic stop tier one check of the LEIN system. They have to request a higher level check for that information and unless they have some type of reasonable suspicion there is no reason to do so.

Bronson