• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Little help on transporting law with CPL?

snake021

imported post

I'm an OH regional truckdriver, with permit,and I was up in MI today. Sometimes Iconfuse each states laws that I drive thru, so I wanted to put a little cheat sheet together for myself.

I've read thru most of the posts and links to MI laws, but I must be overlooking thetwo I need. Since I'm in the truck for long periods of time, I don't always keep the gun/holster on me. Where is it legal for me to put the loaded,holstered, gun when not wearing it? And is one in the chamber allowed?

Thanks in advance!

Leader

imported post

From one pro driver to another......

You may transport your handgun loaded (one in the chamber) anyplace in your truck with a permit from your home state in MI.

As with OH., you MUST inform an officer that you have a permit & are carrying if stopped.

Scooter123

imported post

Michigan and Ohio share full reciprocity with each other in regards to Concealed Carry. If you have an Ohio Concealed Carry Permit and are a Ohio resident, you are fully entitled to carry your weapon in the cab of your truck. Having a loaded weapon in a motor vehicle in Michigan is considered concealed carry no matter where in the vehicle it is kept. You also have to notify the officer of your permit, give that permit to the officer with your drivers license, and notify the officer of the weapons location as soon as he approaches your vehicle. Naturally, you also have to comply with that officers request in regards to your weapon at all times. Violation of any of these steps can leave you subject to arrest.

However, if you do NOT have an Ohio concealed carry permit, carrying a loaded firearm in the cab of your truck will subject you to the concealed weapons act. In Michigan you can carry openly only when on foot. In oder to transport a firearm within a motor vehicle without a concealed carry permit in Michigan, it MUST be unloaded and in a locked container that is not readily available to the vehicles occupant(s). In your truck, that means a locked portable gun safe and you must remember to keep if completely unloaded. Whether a locked glove compartment would be considered a "gun safe" is a very gray area and I expect that most troopers would consider the weapon concealed even if it were unloaded.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Scooter123 wrote:
Michigan and Ohio share full reciprocity with each other in regards to Concealed Carry. If you have an Ohio Concealed Carry Permit and are a Ohio resident, you are fully entitled to carry your weapon in the cab of your truck.
Agreed, if he is a independent owner/operator. Most, if not all, trucking companies prohibit possession of firearms of any kind.

Scooter123 wrote:
Having a loaded weapon in a motor vehicle in Michigan is considered concealed carry no matter where in the vehicle it is kept.

Not true. Even with a permit/licensethedriver may choose to be under lawful transport, for whatever reason. As long as the handgun is unloaded, in-cased and separate from ammo and is not accessible to driver or passengers, it is not concealed. Also, if stopped, the driver does not have to disclose possession of the handgun-only if asked by the LEO if there are any weapons in the vehicle, for example.

ETA: Oops, I missed the loaded part...sorry. I agree with Scooter on this.

Scooter123 wrote:
In Michigan you can carry openly only when on foot.
OC on foot only if you do not have apermit/license from your residential state that is recognized by Michigan (restrictions do apply). If you havesaid permit/license you may OC on foot and in your vehicle.
Scooter123 wrote:
In oder to transport a firearm within a motor vehicle without a concealed carry permit in Michigan, it MUST be unloaded and in a locked container that is not readily available to the vehicles occupant(s).

No. Where are you getting "locked" from??? Please cite. Also, this only applies toresidentsof Michigan whose pistol is registered (Safety Inspected) to them. If you are a non-resident of Michigan, you may not possess/carry/use a handgun in this state unless you are traveling through (under lawful transport).

Edit: Spelling

Scooter123 wrote:

In your truck, that means a locked portable gun safe and you must remember to keep if completely unloaded. Whether a locked glove compartment would be considered a "gun safe" is a very gray area and I expect that most troopers would consider the weapon concealed even if it were unloaded.

The OP indicated he has a permit/license, therefore, in Michigan, he is not required to place the pistol in a locked compartment...it is highly advisable though.

Again, even in lawful transport mode, the driver is not required to place the unloaded pistol, in-cased, separate from ammo in a locked container...it does not have to be locked. And, it'srequired that the pistolnot be accessible to driver and passengers.

snake021

imported post

Thanks for all the replies.

I found all the 'duty to inform' and such, just didn't see anything as to where the weapon has to be, as in OH.

Myboss allows CPL holders to carry in the truck, company or O/O, he just doesn't want our customers to know. I agree that most companies do not permit weapons, but I know that most drivers think there is a federal law against it.

taxwhat

imported post

snake021 wrote:

I found all the 'duty to inform' and such, just didn't see anything as to where the weapon has to be, as in OH.

Myboss allows CPL holders to carry in the truck, company or O/O, he just doesn't want our customers to know. I agree that most companies do not permit weapons, but I know that most drivers think there is a federal law against it.
At the next weight station check with Ohio authorities and please let us know thanks

Leader

imported post

taxwhat wrote:
snake021 wrote:

At the next weight station check with Ohio authorities and please let us know thanks
Check for what?? Let us know what ????

taxwhat

imported post

Leader wrote:
taxwhat wrote:
snake021 wrote:

HIS question maybe Ohio related as a COMERCAL CARRER USDOT
as do not know if has-mat hauler note they shall not carry fusee fire must have other light generating device

Leader

imported post

taxwhat wrote:
Leader wrote:
taxwhat wrote:
snake021 wrote:

as do not know if has-mat hauler note they shall not carry fusee fire must have other light generating device
As already stated, the DOT has NO regulations pertaining to carrying firearms in a truck.

taxwhat

imported post

Leader wrote:
taxwhat wrote:
Leader wrote:
taxwhat wrote:
snake021 wrote:

As already stated, the DOT has NO regulations pertaining to carrying firearms in a truck.
Ok sorry this is rude . delivering to nuclear plant ,us military base ?

Rob Washeleski

imported post

This thread has de-railed. The OP has an Ohio CPL/CHL/CCW/whatever, and as such has the full CPL rights/responsibilities as an MI CPL holder while in MI.

Loaded in cab = carrying (in reach, out off reach, one in the chamber or not)
Unloaded and secured out of driver reach = not carrying

-Rob

snake021

imported post

taxwhat wrote:
snake021 wrote:

I have posted other threads regarding my "encounters" with the OH authorities. They were non-eventful.

The other questions you bring up, "has-mat hauler/ nuclear plant/us military base" are private businesses/organizations. In OH, if they are posted with signs, you may not enter with your weapon.

As others have stated, there is NO FEDERAL LAW against weapons in a commercial vehicle. I think you must be one of those misinformed drivers I was talking about.:p

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

Rob Washeleski wrote:
This thread has de-railed. The OP has an Ohio CPL/CHL/CCW/whatever, and as such has the full CPL rights/responsibilities as an MI CPL holder while in MI.

Loaded in cab = carrying (in reach, out off reach, one in the chamber or not)
Unloaded and secured out of driver reach = not carrying

-Rob

Thank you Rob, I think most of the repliers missed something. As a CPL holder, whenever Istop at a traffic light inthe ghetto, I have my hand inside my middle console with 13 rounds ready to fly. And yes, the first is already in the pipe. Carry as you please, anywhere inside your vehicle, Snake.

Also, as for not needing to tell an officer about your weapon, he already knows you own one and may be carrying if you hold a cpl. Remember that piece of metal on your back bumper, the one that is linked to your name and history? I admit I do not know for certain if you are legally obligated to inform the LEO (I took it for granted when I was trained by a local police sergeant and he told me that was law) but I would certainly not want to make an officer think I may be hiding my weapon in my lap when he is coming up to my car.

67390FE

imported post

[align=left]Jeff, Yes there is a requirement to disclose if you are in a vehicle and the weapon is accessable. That makes it concealed in MI.[/align]

[align=left]28.425f Concealed pistol license; possession; disclosure; violation; penalty; seizure; forfeiture.[/align]

[align=left]
...[/align]

[align=left](3) An individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol and who is stopped by a peace officer shall immediately disclose to the peace officer that he or she is carrying a pistol concealed upon his or her person or in his or her vehicle.[/align]

Leader

imported post

"Also, as for not needing to tell an officer about your weapon, he already knows you own one and may be carrying if you hold a cpl. Remember that piece of metal on your back bumper, the one that is linked to your name and history? I admit I do not know for certain if you are legally obligated to inform the LEO (I took it for granted when I was trained by a local police sergeant and he told me that was law) but I would certainly not want to make an officer think I may be hiding my weapon in my lap when he is coming up to my car."

Jeff... The OP is driving someone elses truck, the license plate won't tell the officer anything about him.