• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does open carry escalate some situations?

Daddyo

imported post

Let me start by saying that I am fully in favor of open carry. This is all purely for the sake of discussion.

Situation #1- Some dingbat is trying to light a cigarette while talking on the cellphone and changing cd's and nails your car in the middle of the intersection. You get out to examine the damage, but because you have a gun on your hip, does the situation automatically escalate? What about when the police finally arrive?

Situation #2- This was brought up at work in a humorous light because everyone knows I carry openly when in the car. The local police were doing a big speeding crackdown, and a lady at work who travels the same route I do at approximately the same time said, joking, that if she got pulled over she would just tell them that she was trying to get away from some guy in a blue Honda because he has a gun. Now, she was joking of course, but what would happen if in trying to get out of a ticket someone told police that you were waving a gun at them?

GaOwlPoop

imported post

I do not know about situation #1 but in situation #2, if the police stopped you you would be in deep do-do, open carrying or not. I would think that you would be arrested on the spot and carted off to jail.

The follow up would be interesting. If you make the assumption that the investigation into the incident showed that the person made a false statement then the do-do would be on them BUT you would still be out all the time and trouble and the hassle of getting your weapon back, your car un-impounded and all that.

I think you would most likely have to go to court to get some of the money you were out as a result of someone making a false statement.

Statesman

imported post

I think in situation #1, it would be a non-issue, as long as you keep your cool. If anything, I believe it would ensure that the dingbat would not get angry and attack you out of road rage. The dingbat's perception of the incident may be different than yours (i.e. you hit him). On a side note, if they are changing their nails, I would be suspicious they were an alien. :lol:

Situation#2 seems to show malicious intent on the part of her, which could get her into trouble. I think indeed you would be at least be detained and questioned. Next, you would both be separated, surrounded by several cars with flashing lights, along with the inevitable rubberneckers
:cuss:.

It would be your word against hers, and she would likely be pressured by LEO into 1) making a statement against you, or 2) admitting she lied. I think the question would eventually be asked, if you actually pointed it at her. Speeding to get away from someone that is in "possession" of a gun legally is not a legitimate reason for speeding. Any LEO should know that, and try to determine if a threat was made against her.

If she told you this in passing as a joke, she should be aware that the tables could turn on her, and she would be in serious hot water, with possible jail time. The court system takes such false claims seriously in my understanding.

This is why it's best not to let anyone you know at work that you open carry, or even have a gun, IMHO. They may not like you personally, or for some political reason.

Statesman

imported post

I think in situation #1, it would be a non-issue, as long as you keep your cool. If anything, I believe it would ensure that the dingbat would not get angry and attack you out of road rage. The dingbat's perception of the incident may be different than yours (i.e. you hit him). On a side note, if they are changing their nails, I would be suspicious they were an alien. :lol:

Situation#2 seems to show malicious intent on the part of her, which could get her into trouble. I think indeed you would be at least be detained and questioned. Next, you would both be separated, surrounded by several cars with flashing lights, along with the inevitable rubberneckers

It would be your word against hers, and she would likely be pressured by LEO into 1) making a statement against you, or 2) admitting she lied. I think the question would eventually be asked, if you actually pointed it at her. Speeding to get away from someone that is in "possession" of a gun legally is not a legitimate reason for speeding. Any LEO should know that, and try to determine if a threat was made against her.

If she told you this in passing as a joke, she should be aware that the tables could turn on her, and she would be in serious hot water, with possible jail time. The court system takes such false claims seriously in my understanding.

This is why it's best not to let anyone you know at work that you open carry, or even have a gun, IMHO. They may not like you personally, or for some political reason.

Statesman

imported post

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Daddyo wrote:
Let me start by saying that I am fully in favor of open carry. This is all purely for the sake of discussion.

Situation #1- Some dingbat is trying to light a cigarette while talking on the cellphone and changing cd's and nails your car in the middle of the intersection. You get out to examine the damage, but because you have a gun on your hip, does the situation automatically escalate? What about when the police finally arrive?

Situation #2- This was brought up at work in a humorous light because everyone knows I carry openly when in the car. The local police were doing a big speeding crackdown, and a lady at work who travels the same route I do at approximately the same time said, joking, that if she got pulled over she would just tell them that she was trying to get away from some guy in a blue Honda because he has a gun. Now, she was joking of course, but what would happen if in trying to get out of a ticket someone told police that you were waving a gun at them?
#1 - Having a tool available is a passive condition. Not the slightest overt act is called for nor initiated by you - you are not an active physical threat. Therefore any "escalation" of the situation is a purely a false perception on the "dingbats" part.

If she saw a fire extinguisher on your front seat, would that be escalating the situation? Obviously you had thought of the possibility of having to deal with a bad encounter and brought a tool in case it was needed.

#2 - Anybody can lie about anything. You would find it very easy to show that she knew you OCd for a long time and there was never a problem. Of course she drives like a maniac all of the time - right ?:cool:

Don't sweat the small stuff. The right to self-defense is somehow more important then others false perceptions or the possibility that they may lie. I can handle that and so should you with a minimum of inconvenience.

Yata hey

Daddyo

imported post

I should probably clarify #2. The person at work would never do this, even in jest. Her son just signed on with the 82nd Airborne and see is a staunch 2nd Amendment proponent.

I was saying that what if the police pull over somebody, and to try to get out of the ticket they pick a car at random that was behind them and say they were running for their lives from this crazed man with a gun. Crazed man with a gun just happens to be you and you do just happen to be carrying. I think it would probably go down much as GaOwlPoop described. It would eventually be resolved, but you would definitely be sporting matching silver bracelets for a bit.

Statesman

imported post

Statesman

imported post

Statesman

imported post

Statesman

imported post

Statesman

imported post

Statesman

imported post

irfner

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thieves and other bad guys will usually size up an opportunity before they act. An openly carried firearm may deter a robbery or assault. Even when armedthemselves bad guys don't like to get shot. So they will just shop elsewhere sincethere is an abundance of sheeple available for the picking. A firearm carried CC only reacts after the assault has begun. To pull or show it sooner is brandishing. CC is great for stopping an assault but it does little in the way of prevention. Then of course not carrying at all leaves you completely at the mercy of the BG. Good luck on that. So you are left with the following three choices. OC for prevention. CC to stop a crime in progress.Don't carry and be a victim. Choose your own comfort level.

MetalChris

imported post

Statesman wrote:

What was that? I didn't quite get it. :lol::lol::lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Statesman wrote:
all snipped
I'm a little confused by your six duplicate posts in over an hour and a half. Double taps and server problems (errors) occur within the same minute or two.

Please, as a courtesy to the other posters, edit/delete the contents of the duplicate posts! It makes reviewing a thread very frustrating.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Phoenixphire wrote:
I think he must have refreshed the page, or something....

Each post is an exact duplicate.
There was a problem with the server - I reported it to John; however any repeated attempts to get past the error message should have shown a time span of only a couple of minutes not repeated posts over 1 1/2 hours (see time stamp on his posts).

I really don't want to think it was anything but an accident but come on, edit them out!

If you get an error message, click out to something else and check back on-site to see if it posted or not - all of mine did.

Yata hey

JBinMontana

imported post

I think Situation #1 is no and situation #2 well, if someone told a deputy or police officer that, it is their word against yours. But I would ask mr deputy or officer, has someone made a complaint against you for branishing your firearm because you open carry? And secondly I would ask if the complainty has a witness against me, because this in our state would be a felony.

To bad false reporting here is not.

I've never had anyone make a complaint against me for open carry.

I value my right to open carry as much as he does.