• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Roadblocks and "Routine License Checks"

jameshasguns

imported post

I'm curious to know how many of you have ever been asked "Do you have any firearms in your vehicle?" at a roadblock/license check. In my area of south Mississippi, we have roadblocks all the time, usually around the time the clubs are closing down but at other times of the day as well. The officers here are polite when they ask for your driver's license while they are checking your safety inspection sticker on your windshield and for an expired tag. Then, it is not unusual for them to ask if you have had anything to drink. No matter what the answer toTHAT question is, it is almost always followed by "do you have any DRUGS orFIREARMS in your vehicle?' Just about every time I've been asked these questions, I've had at least one gun in my car or truck and told them so. I'm a licensed concealed carry permit holder in my state and have showed them my license when asked about guns and still was asked to pull over so they could check out my gun's serial numbers; presumably to tell if they had been stolen. After all the inconvenience was over, they would give my gun back to me and say "Have a good day", etc. Any comments?

Rattrapper

imported post

WHOA! An alcohol road block is supposed to be to get your car window down and How are you doing tonight? So that the officer can see anything in plain view and to detect the the possible use of Alcoholic beverages, Thus usable probable cause, to detain you for further examination. This where bad Case Law comes (from a cops view) Other than that you should be on your way. To be able return to place from which you came.

Rattrapper

imported post

Whoa! An Alcohol Road Block is supposed to be for getting your car window down and say, how are doing tonight? Thus allowing for further examination of speech and the odor of Alcoholic Beverages. This will then be used as PC to go further. This is more case law waiting to happen.

jameshasguns

imported post

Thanks for the reply. Anyone else out there ever been detained for having a legal gun in their vehicle? By the way, state law in Mississippi does not prohibit the carrying of a gun in your vehicle regardless of whether you have a CC permit or not.

Ed Y

imported post

I've been thru a few roadblocks in the general area where I live although never late at night cause I'm not generally out at that time. I've never been asked that question in MS or any other state, for that matter.

As far as I'm concerned it's none of their business unless they've got a search warrant.

PT111

imported post

I have no idea how many roadblocks or license check points or what ever you want to call them in my driving time but I have never been asked for anything other than license, registration and insurance information. Even those times I have been pulled for speeding :Xthey have never aasked for anything other than that. You fellows that get all this hassle must look dangerous or somehting.

JT

imported post

I've been through several roadblocks and have never been asked for anything but license, registration and proof of insurance.

jameshasguns

imported post

I don't know about looking dangerous or if that should even matter. On two occasions I had my wife and kids with me and one of those took place while going through Texas on vacation. We were pulled over on the interstate late at night because the officer didn't recognize the type of tag on our car.In one sentance he asked me for my license and did I have any weapons inmy car. My wife wason the passenger side and she answered "yes we havea gunin the glovebox." He came around to her side and with his hand on his gun, told her to hand it to him which she did. It was a stainless Ruger P-85 MK II in a nylon Uncle Mikes holster. He disappeared back to his car with it for about 20 minutes. At this time we still didn't know why we had been pulled over. I wasn't speeding and had three sleeping kids in the back. At least they HAD been sleeping. Finally the officer returned back to the passenger side of the car, handed my gun back to my wife and told us he had never seen a tag like ours and he was sorry for the delay. We were in a fine old car with an antique tag on it.

imported post

Motorcycling down MS 48 near Bude, a state trooper was running a daytime roadblock. When it was my turn in line, he asked for driver's license and proof of insurance, but not anything about weapons. However, I was openly wearing my Smith .357 in plain view of him. When I stepped off the bike to retrieve the requested documents, he didn't say a word about the pistol.