• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to Indiana, important question.

45orbust

imported post

Hey all, i'll be moving to Indiana (particuarly Hammond) from Birmingham , AL and had a quick question about the checks for getting a LTCH.
Last year A ex girlfriend slapped me with a R/O (in FL), and due to the Lautenberg amendment I could not carry any firearms etc. Keep in mind I was NEVER charged or arrested for any crime (misdemeanor or otherwise). I was told that they do not use a NICS check (like when purchasing a firearm) for getting your LTCH or CCW (in FL). My question is , the R/O expires november 5th and after that date it will be null and void but I want to make sure my LTCH check will pass. Any idea how this works? Once again the R/o will be expired after I apply and I have NEVER been convicted of ANY crime, let alone arrested. My prints always check out good as I have to pass FAA backround checks for working for southwest. Any info on this would be a big help

Steve

45orbust

imported post

also....

is there any particular lenght of time you have to live in IN to apply for a LTCH?....
by the time I apply i would have had a IN drivers license for 1 month

Prometheus

imported post

I live in south Hammond...

Takes about 3 weeks to get an appointment for your check and prints. Once you show up (don't be late at hammond) takes 5 minutes and then it's off in the mail and you'll get it in 2-6 weeks after that.

I can't answer you on the r/o issue. I'd think that once it's expired you are good.

As to the city of hammond... Move someone else. Highland (borders south hammond) would be a much better choice. This city sucks. Seriously, it really sucks. Property taxes have skyrocketted, crazy corruption if you try and build onto your house, general area is going down hill in my neighborhood due to out of control foreclosures and people simply abandoning their homes because they are so upside down.

I wish I never bought a home in this town. What only a couple hundred yards would have done...

Welcome to Indiana BTW ;)

Prometheus

imported post

Forgot residency requirements. In hammond IIRC they require a IN drivers license with current addy. Some cities I've heard will do it with just proof of residency. considering it takes 3 weeks to get an appointment with hammond PD cahnces are you'll have any length of time requirements covered by then anyway.

45orbust

imported post

We are looking (around Hessville mainly) being down here we have to have her ( my fiance's) family go and scope things out, so far some neighborhoods look decent, others not so .... Shes originally from Portage and thats where her family is so were looking around there as well. Can't go too far for me at least as I'll be commuting to Midway to work, and my car eats gas when its too cold to ride the bike, I'm from FL over 20 years so i'm sure i'll be in for a rude awakening come winter.

Any particular info about the neighborhood between Indy Blvd and Calumet (south of 169th, North of 80/94)? It doesnt look too bad from what theyre seeing compared to a few of the other areas there, these houses look pretty kept up.

Prometheus

imported post

My words in red
45orbust wrote:
We are looking (around Hessville mainly) being down here we have to have her ( my fiance's) family go and scope things out, so far some neighborhoods look decent, others not so .... Shes originally from Portage and thats where her family is so were looking around there as well. Can't go too far for me at least as I'll be commuting to Midway to work, and my car eats gas when its too cold to ride the bike, I'm from FL over 20 years so i'm sure i'll be in for a rude awakening come winter.
I grew up in Florida and spent about 22 years in Florida as well. Portage is nice, if it wasn't for having to take call at the hospital I'd be living out that way as well. I drive basically the same drive you'll be making to midway, I80 to 294 to cicero and north to midway. About 28 miles one way from where you pick up I80 at Indy blvd.

Any particular info about the neighborhood between Indy Blvd and Calumet (south of 169th, North of 80/94)? It doesnt look too bad from what theyre seeing compared to a few of the other areas there, these houses look pretty kept up.
Thats EXACTLY where I live, lol. Lots of nice areas, but quite a few blocks are going down hill. The difference from one block to the next can be huge. Highland starts just south of the interstate, as does munster which is closer to the ILL state line.

The money you'd save in property taxes (not to mention a bigger house) would definately make up for the gas money even at 8 bucks a gallon, lol. Down side is time, but the drive on 80/94 and 294 is great since they widened it. Down side is I80/94 at I65 (going twoards portage) is still under constrution and that is all jacked up. be another 18 months before it's fixed probably.

Give me a tighter street grid and I can try and give a better idea.

Coming from Florida, you'll find that unlike there, neighborhoods can change from uptopia to mad max in just a few blocks. It's somehwat sureal. The closer to chicago the more it's like that. The further from chicago, the better in all respects.

emclean

imported post

you might want to look again at portage, (or just about anything in porter county) being between Gary and Chicago, the neaborhoods are not likly to be inproving over time. Lake county seams to have as much of a coruption problems as chicago.

Prometheusjust wonderin what you do at your hospital? i am a biomed in East Chicago.

benron

imported post

you should also try merrillville,its not far from hammond,and the local PD excepts applications for handgun permits on certain days(i forget which days and times),its a pretty nice town.:D