• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does Anybody honor "NO WEAPON" signs?

RayBurton72

imported post

I am simply dumbfounded by your continued inability to either understand the law, or accept that you simply are not as knowledgeable as you would like to be.

It is kind of like what Reagan said about liberals - it's not that they don't know anything, it is that so much of what they know simply ain't so.

It is not incorrect analysis to say that carrying a concealed weapon where it is posted as "No Weapons" is a misdemeanor - it is a fact, as I explained.

If you cannot accept that the opening section of an article of law, which explains the penalties for violating any of the following sections applies to the following sections, then I cannot help you.

For everyone else who has been misled by your previous postings, let me further refute them: The reason the law (NC GS 14-415.11) says "not authorized," is because the carrying of a concealed weapon is illegal (NCGS 14-269] with a few exceptions. One of them being that persons who obtain an NC Concealed carry permit are "authorized" to carry a concealed firearm under certain conditions. Hence, the "not authorized" language.

For a plain language version, one can simply peruse the North Carolina Firearms Laws pamphlet available from the NC Attorney General's Office (Rev'd December 2007)

Any individual who violates any other standards for
the carrying of a concealed handgun with a permit is guilty of a Class 2 Misdemeanor. (North Carolina Firearms Laws pg 16)

Although a person may have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, permittees are not authorized to carry the permitted weapon anywhere they desire. The weapon may not be carried in the following areas: . . .

7. any premises, except state owned rest areas or stops along the highways, where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice, or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-415.11(c)North Carolina Firearms Laws pp 16-17

As for open carry where posted "No weapons"
If you were to go into a mall that is posted "No weapons" and police are called, it is possible (likelihood changes based on where the mall is) to be charged with disturbing the peace by failing to abide by the mall's rules in a manner that disturbs the peace.
If you don't think this can happen, ask the teeny boppers and gang-wannabees who have been charged for using profanity, blaring music or simply "harrasing" other patrons.
PLEASE NOTE: The disturbing the peace charge does not stem from the activity itself, it stems from doing the activity in violation of posted bans on such activity.

At a minimum, since we usually agree that most LEO's don't understand the intricacies of firearms laws, you are VERY likely to be arrested. Rightly or wrongly, it could be a very bad day for you.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I've made my points terribly clear. I will be acquiring the analysis and opinion of a professional to verify my knowledge to provide to those here who are not too stubborn to hear it. Obviously this will take time, so please stand by on this issue. In the mean time, please do not stop exercising your rights where ever you legally can, and NEVER be caught unarmed.

Godscreation

imported post

Dreqo, no need to seek professional help, you are right, the question is not "what does it mean?" the question is, "what does it say?" It says you can't carry on property where signs are posted. If a person wants to have no guns on there property, they can do so, it's their property. This statute is simply clarifying that if someone has posted a sign on their property that says "no guns" than you must honor their rules. If someone posted a sign that said you must carry a firearm while in this store, the aniti's would have to follow that rule as well.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Godscreation wrote:
This statute is simply clarifying that if someone has posted a sign on their property that says "no guns" than you must honor their rules.

This is the problem with the way you guys are thinking. Their rules are not law, therefore they are not enforceable by law enforcement! There ARE laws regarding trespass, and if a property owner tells you to leave after breaking his rules, you legally must leave. Then, and ONLY THEN does it become a LEGAL issue.

The reason the law (NC GS 14-415.11) says "not authorized," is because the carrying of a concealed weapon is illegal (NCGS 14-269] with a few exceptions. One of them being that persons who obtain an NC Concealed carry permit are "authorized" to carry a concealed firearm under certain conditions. Hence, the "not authorized" language.

Ray, stop the personal attacks, they are childish. I'm looking at what you just said above, and I do see what you are saying. This is the main reason why I'm going to get a third opinion, because I've had LEO and lawyers alike tell me in the past that the interpretation that I have provided thus far was correct. This still leaves the fact that open carry is unrelated and therefore legal.

My opinions and analyses of these laws were not formed by myself in one night. I constantly re-read these laws and have continually had conversations regarding said laws with many different people in order to understand the laws as well as I possibly can. A lot of those people have been professionals in the legal field. This debate we're having now is just more analysis, which should serve to be very beneficial if we can remain civil.

concealnc.com

imported post

You can not carry in places where the owners have post a sign, down load the law and read for yourself. I will not go to these places, I can only hope you won't either!

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

concealnc.com wrote:
You can not carry in places where the owners have post a sign, down load the law and read for yourself. I will not go to these places, I can only hope you won't either!
K can we maybe only make helpful posts, yeah? Carrying concealed past signs is being debated, carrying OPENLY isn't, however. Did you notice that you're on a website called OPENCARRY.ORG, Mr. concealnc.com?

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DreQo wrote:
concealnc.com wrote:
K can we maybe only make helpful posts, yeah? Carrying concealed past signs is being debated, carrying OPENLY isn't, however. Did you notice that you're on a website called OPENCARRY.ORG, Mr. concealnc.com?

Look DreQo, Let's get down to specifics here.

If a store post a sign that says "NO CONCEALED WEAPONS ALLOWED", that's going to be hard to enforce unless they put up metal detectors and or security guards at the entrances to frisk everyone that comes in. The only way they are going to know if you are CCing would be if you flash your weapon or your printing really badly. Otherwise they won't know if you are CC in the store or not.

If the store post signs saying "NO OPEN CARRY OF FIREARMS", that still leaves you with the option to CC into the store. This one would be easy to enforce without denying you to carry your firearm into the store CC.

If the Store post a sign that says "NO WEAPONS ALLOWED" or "NO FIREARMS ALLOWED", that would pretty much cover both CCAND OC. The OC'ers are going to be easy to spot while the CC'ers won't.

The NO WEAPONS/FIREARMS signs ARE enforceable, in a round about way maybe, but still enforceable.

RayBurton72

imported post

The problem DreQo is not your interpretation:

The problem is that you consistently refuse to discuss your interpretations as though you might be incorrect and immediately attack anyone who disagrees as being wrong.

You don't seem to accept that you are arguing opinions or understandings - you claim to know THE FACTS, to the point of using all caps, bold face type and resorting to the online equivalent of banging your fist on the table.

I have no problem discussing different understandings of the law, but as you have proven with this thread (and others), you simply cannot accept overwhelming evidence to the contrary of your understanding.

And your expounding on the law incorrectly, as I have said before, is going to get someone in a LOT of trouble, which does a disservice to the 2A community as a whole.

buzzsaw

imported post

Gentlemen, as a North Carolinian who has a strong interest in this but no legal training I will avoid jumping into the middle of this. I took the course when the law passed but due to employment on a Military facility where I could not carry under any circumstances I never followed up and obtained the cc. I have on the other hand taken notice of the signs around my community where merchants have posted against cc. Since the passage of the "Shall issue" law I have studiously avoided shopping anywhere that the signs are posted. Including the MALL. My money is spent with merchants who appreciate my business and don't try to infringe on my rights. In over eight years I have suffered no deprivation due to my shopping choices and my wife and children have not gone without anything. Those merchants are regretably still in business but not with my $$$$.