Thread: Any CO Residents interest in attacking Denver OC ban?

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar

Post imported post

Well, I posted a contribution solicitation thread in regards to challenging Denver's OC ban, as well as also attacking the denial of non-resident license applications and the non-recognition of non-resident licenses.

I've been doing a further reading on the subject, and it seems that beyond my particular situation, there may be concerns and considerations in terms of Colorado residents and an open carry ban. First, OC is lawful at 18 in CO, whereas you need to be 21 to get a permanent carry license, which disallows Denver to any carry for 18 to 21 year olds, and I know there's some Coloradans who refuse to get CHL's.

The question to all of you is: Is anyone here interested in challenging Denver's OC ban? Is anyone willing to contribute to said challenge?

Post imported post

Looks like not a lot of interest. I don't live in Denver; probably for the plaintiff to have standing, he would be required to be a resident of the City and County of Denver.

Post imported post

How do we go about challenging Denver's OC ban?

Post imported post

I'd be up for it, but I don't live in denver.

Post imported post

I think Denver is the focus. As the capitol of the stste, they should be a leader, and a no open carry policy is not the way to lead. Denver needs to get rid of archaic laws.

I'm in

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I live in Virginia and come to Denver alot and would like a Coplorado Non-resident permit too
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

Any Colorado resident would have standing. Personally, having a CCW, it's not much of an issue, although I'd like to see it overturned. That being said, the CO SC composition hasn't changed since they grandfathered the ordinance to my belief, so I doubt a different outcome would happen. The justice that recused himself would have to do so again.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Post imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
    The justice that recused himself would have to do so again.
    Maybe not. The recusal occurred because that a certain attorney argued the CO vs Denver case (for CO)in a lower court. When thatcase came to the state supreme court and that same attorney was then a justice on the supreme court, she had to recuse herself. A differentcase would not require another recusal.

Post imported post

I believe an open carry challenge in federal court would also be very plausable. Scalia specifically mentions open carry as being protected in the Heller decision. Denver would be a perfect case to get the right to carry incorporated.

Post imported post

What if the plaintiff was denied a CCW and the only way to ensure his RKBA is to allow open carry?

Post imported post

Anubis wrote:
    Gunslinger wrote:
    The justice that recused himself would have to do so again.
    Maybe not. The recusal occurred because that a certain attorney argued the CO vs Denver case (for CO)in a lower court. When thatcase came to the state supreme court and that same attorney was then a justice on the supreme court, she had to recuse herself. A differentcase would not require another recusal.
    I believe she had been Attorney General at the time and recused herself because of it and her being against the ban being grandfathered. I think she would do so again for the same reason.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V