• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any CO Residents interest in attacking Denver OC ban?

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Well, I posted a contribution solicitation thread in regards to challenging Denver's OC ban, as well as also attacking the denial of non-resident license applications and the non-recognition of non-resident licenses.

I've been doing a further reading on the subject, and it seems that beyond my particular situation, there may be concerns and considerations in terms of Colorado residents and an open carry ban. First, OC is lawful at 18 in CO, whereas you need to be 21 to get a permanent carry license, which disallows Denver to any carry for 18 to 21 year olds, and I know there's some Coloradans who refuse to get CHL's.

The question to all of you is: Is anyone here interested in challenging Denver's OC ban? Is anyone willing to contribute to said challenge?

Anubis

imported post

Looks like not a lot of interest. I don't live in Denver; probably for the plaintiff to have standing, he would be required to be a resident of the City and County of Denver.

ecgoin

imported post

I think Denver is the focus. As the capitol of the stste, they should be a leader, and a no open carry policy is not the way to lead. Denver needs to get rid of archaic laws.

I'm in

Gunslinger

imported post

Any Colorado resident would have standing. Personally, having a CCW, it's not much of an issue, although I'd like to see it overturned. That being said, the CO SC composition hasn't changed since they grandfathered the ordinance to my belief, so I doubt a different outcome would happen. The justice that recused himself would have to do so again.

Anubis

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
The justice that recused himself would have to do so again.
Maybe not. The recusal occurred because that a certain attorney argued the CO vs Denver case (for CO)in a lower court. When thatcase came to the state supreme court and that same attorney was then a justice on the supreme court, she had to recuse herself. A differentcase would not require another recusal.

Johnyt101

imported post

I believe an open carry challenge in federal court would also be very plausable. Scalia specifically mentions open carry as being protected in the Heller decision. Denver would be a perfect case to get the right to carry incorporated.

Gunslinger

imported post

Anubis wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
The justice that recused himself would have to do so again.
Maybe not. The recusal occurred because that a certain attorney argued the CO vs Denver case (for CO)in a lower court. When thatcase came to the state supreme court and that same attorney was then a justice on the supreme court, she had to recuse herself. A differentcase would not require another recusal.
I believe she had been Attorney General at the time and recused herself because of it and her being against the ban being grandfathered. I think she would do so again for the same reason.