• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Handgun carry through Canada

Huck

imported post

I've noticed that intercoastal ferry only goes as far as Skagway or Haines and that to get to the main part of Alaska you have to drive through part of Canada. Is there a problem with transporting handguns through that part of Canada if you're destination is Alaska? :question:

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

if the barrel is less then 4.5" then it is a "prohibited" handgun. If it is longer then that then it is a "restricted" handgun. if it is the later you can get the special paperwork pay a fee and take it with you. Canada is a pain in the whoohoo.

jackb

imported post

One of the ferries stops at Whittier (quick drive from Anchorage) but not during the winter months and not as often as the ones to Haines and other stops on the interior passage

Huck

imported post

Thanks folks! I would'nt be able to transport my pistols since 2 have 4" barrels and 1 has a 2 1/2" barrel. :(

I didnt know about the ferry to Whittier, I'll lookand see where it starts.Thanks. :)

like_the_roman

imported post

When my friend went up to Alaska to work in the 1980s he had to mail his pistols from Bellingham to Anchorage. He took his long guns with him across the border though. I don't know if you can still do that.

Armed

imported post

Thanks for posting the question Huck - I was just about to ask the same.

Can anyone elaborate about the transportation of long guns through Canada?

AKRed

imported post

I did not look at the Canadian site lately. I do remember from when I went thru there about 4 years ago, rifles and shotguns were OK as long as not auto or semi-auto. There is a fee that was confusing. It was one price for all guns not each. It was less than $50 US back then, but the dollar is weaker now. Check the website for latest. Oleoresin Capsicum(OC Spray) is not permitted either unless it says "bear spray" or something designating it not primarily for humans.

AKRed

imported post

Yes you may, as long as they're not loaded. It was ironic and funny when I took the AMHS for the first time no one even asked about firearms. About halfway on the journey we stopped and I noticed a sign with prohibitted articles. Fingernail clippers, screwdrivers, etc were on the list.

Check the AMHS site for latest rules.