• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First (and second) open carry experience

isaiah

imported post

I've been carrying around the house lately since I got my new gun but have been hesitant to carry outside because the holster I've been using (11 Gear) is less than great. It might just be my belt, but when I draw the whole unit comes up with the gun and I have to hold the holster with my left hand to get the gun out. The retention screw is even out so far that it's almost falling out. If it's not better with the MS (if it ever makes it here) I'll have to find a new belt.

Anyway. So, I've taken it out with me a couple times. I figure having a gun that doesn't draw well is better than not having one.
The first time was at the Texas Inn here in Lynchburg, VA. For those unfamiliar, it's a small burger place open 24 hours in downtown Lynchburg. My roommates and I went at around 1 AM to satiate some late-night hunger. The whole trip was thankfully uneventful and I wasn't sensing any stares. It started getting packed just before we were ready to leave and my friends said a few guys at the door were giving the piece some looks. But all went well.

The second time was tonight. I was visiting some friends for a movie at their apartment. I wasn't carrying at this point. As I was leaving the apartment I noticed tire marks where my car was parked an hour and a half earlier.
Long story short, I made it back to my house and strapped on my gun. A friend gave me a ride to get my car back and, on the way, we stopped at the Sheetz next to Liberty University here in Lynchburg so I could get some cash out of the ATM there. As my withdrawal was being processed I thought I heard someone say, "Are you a sheriff?"
I ignored it and sure enough heard one of those 'excuse me' whistles.

The conversation went roughly like this:
(at this point, at about 12:30 AM, not only am I still fuming that I got towed but am also pretty tired and still am as I write this)

Guy: "Hey, are you a sheriff?"
Me: "No."
Guy: "Do you have a license for that?"
Me: "No, it's perfectly legal to openly carry a gun."

More was said here but it was happening so fast and all I was thinking about was getting my car back.

Guy: "Know the laws man, don't show off."
Me: "I'm not and I know the laws, that's why I'm carrying."

By this time I was halfway out the door and as I was looking back just about everyone at the checkout line was looking at me.
My friend said he's a fellow Liberty student and that he'd played pool with him before so I'm going to try and see if I can't find him and have a chat with him about OC here in the US (he had what sounded like a Russian accent). If I do find him, I'll definitely recommend he check out OCDO to get him up to speed.

Meanwhile, I go to bed $210 poorer. :(

AnaxImperator

imported post

I wouldn't necessarily bring up OC'ing immediately if meeting such a person again. If through the course of normal conversation OC'ing was mentioned, fine. But seeking out someone primarily to lecture or informthem on firearms legalities won't make them any more open to or agreeable about OC, CC, or firearms ownership in general.... especially if he's European or whatever. Many Europeans have quite a different view on the fact that American citizens are allowed to generally own whatever firearm they want, and many see us as gun-toting, trigger-happyhicks or thugs.

Also, you should check out Liberty's campus regulations on firearms. Even if you weren't directly on school grounds, being very close to it while OC'ing may attract the attention of someone who is fearful that youeither were previously, or are heading ontocampus, and they'll call the authorities. A MWAG call at a college will be taken very seriously, even if you're not actually on school grounds. LEOs & campus security will act as if you're an immediate threat, so don't be very surprised if upon arrival, they use very stern commands and tactics.

I myself try to stay well away from all schools while OC'ing, as people who see someone OC'ing nearby will immediately assume the worst and relay much to the dispatchers.

And make sure you get a quality holster before OC'ing again, if at all possible. Having one that's defective/shoddywill likely only endanger you more than if you were unarmed. Not being able to execute aquick & efficient draw when fractions of a second count, or having a sidearm that's easily accessible to the wrong hands.... well, that's really bad.

But anyways, welcome to OC'ing. You'll get used to ignorant ijits trying to dictate law & opinion about OC, and when someone makes a positive comment it's a pretty good feeling.

MetalChris

imported post

isaiah wrote:
...have a chat with him about OC here in the US (he had what sounded like a Russian accent). If I do find him, I'll definitely recommend he check out OCDO to get him up to speed.
How old was this guy? If he's in the 20-30 age bracket, he's probably a scumbag, and probably has a felony conviction on his record.

isaiah

imported post

MetalChris wrote:
isaiah wrote:
...have a chat with him about OC here in the US (he had what sounded like a Russian accent). If I do find him, I'll definitely recommend he check out OCDO to get him up to speed.
How old was this guy?  If he's in the 20-30 age bracket, he's probably a scumbag, and probably has a felony conviction on his record.

Ha. He's either a Freshman or Sophomore in college so that's probably not the case. I'm sure he's a good guy, just uninformed to the freedoms we enjoy here in America.

isaiah

imported post

I won't actually hunt the guy down. If I happen to see him around campus I'll just reach out and ask him if he wants to meet up for a drink somewhere and talk. Just so at least he doesn't picture me as an outlaw. I'm not one to be crass.

Ironically named, Liberty doesn't allow even slingshots or airsoft guns on campus. Virginia has no law prohibiting firearms from campuses so I was legal being as close as I was. I understand what you're saying and it's good advice. However, I run many of my errands around the school so I might as well not carry at all, as much as I'd have to disarm. I've also read a few posts on here about people carrying within the same proximity of the school with no issues. So, fingers crossed I guess.

As for the holster, I ordered a Milt Sparks back in May so it should get here in November. It can't come soon enough.

I appreciate your feedback and thank you for the warm welcome. I'll be looking forward to the positive comments. Talking guns is right down my alley.

Statesman

imported post

Two things:

Guy: "Do you have a license for that?"
Guy: "Know the laws man, don't show off."
This guy just contradicted himself. If he knows the laws, then he knows no license is needed. He just thinks you're showing off your gun, and he wanted you to know he was offended by it. This brings me to my second point;

Unless the voice behind you indicates they are LEO, or you reasonably look in his direction to verify the fact, visually, or answer his question with a question:

"Are you law enforcement?"

you are probably under no obligation to even answer him, unless it's a property owner, or LEO. Since this was an ATM, I would have likely smiled and ignored him. Arguing with idiots in public just leads to confrontations.

In KY, if he puts his hands on me, then it's time to defend myself with reasonable force to remove his hands.

Then again, you could just hand him an OpenCarry.org brochure explaining things, and possibly gain a friend.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

"I'm sure he's a good guy, just uninformed to the freedoms we enjoy here in America." -- isaiah

Well, then he should FIRST start with learning about the history of his OWN country (Russia) re: guns and freedom...he's HERE now so he should lose the negative adversarial Soviet attitude.

-- John D.

AnaxImperator

imported post

isaiah wrote:
I won't actually hunt the guy down. If I happen to see him around campus I'll just reach out and ask him if he wants to meet up for a drink somewhere and talk. Just so at least he doesn't picture me as an outlaw. I'm not one to be crass.
I personally wouldn't worry too much aboutatotal strangerpictures me, especially one with fairly obvious preconceived notions on guns & gun laws. I've discovered that a majority of those kind of people will not reconsider their skewed opinions just by talking logic & lawto them, or even by shoving irrefutable proof that they're wrong in their faces. IMHO, you'll just be wasting breath & time on the guy.
Ironically named, Liberty doesn't allow even slingshots or airsoft guns on campus. Virginia has no law prohibiting firearms from campuses so I was legal being as close as I was. I understand what you're saying and it's good advice. However, I run many of my errands around the school so I might as well not carry at all, as much as I'd have to disarm. I've also read a few posts on here about people carrying within the same proximity of the school with no issues.
Be that as it may, even though Virginia & individual colleges may allow firearms on campus (in the case of colleges, more than likely concealed-only), a LOT of people aren't aware of those laws & rules. You & others who've OC'ed within close proximity of the school are pretty-much just lucky that a high-strung & paranoid observer wasn't in close proximity also. I'm not saying don't OC, butconsider CC'ing (or get a permit if you've not already) if you're going to be around the college, and potentially save yourself a huge headache.

And as Tricorn mentioned, you shouldpracticegood situational awareness.... I'm not harping on you, we all should. Too often I've noticed guys CC'ing, obviously printing, and are engrossed in their PDA/phone, conversation, or whatever... and if I notice, someone with bad intentions can & will notice as well. Oh yeah, and avoid outdoor ATMs, day or night. I hate outdoor ATMs regardless of hour, as I'm partially vulnerable while collecting my money, entering PINs, etc, even if I've got a watchful eye out for trouble.

If I'm alone &forced to use one, I never pull up and hop right out. I always drive around the blockor around the parkinglotat least once looking for suspicious vehicles (getaway cars with driver and/or running engine); and I find a place to park within eyesight, but not too close to the ATM. Once there, I sit for a few minutes and scope the nearby cuts (darkened doorways/corners/trees or bushes), as well as watching any pedestrians who may be lingering close or paying too much attention to the ATM & ATM patrons. If I'm OC'ing at the time, I'll shift my holster as far forward as possible before approaching the ATM. Once I'm at the ATM, I never directly face the machine if at all possible; actually, I'll turn around and wait while it's spitting out money. If there is someone watching, chances are very good they're not going to bother someone who's obviously aware of their surroundings (and openly armed).

isaiah

imported post

Tricorn wrote:
At night, OCing, at an ATM, and somebody comes up behind you. How close was he?

Sounds like you need to work on your Situational Awareness.

I'm always in condition yellow when carrying and any time i'm outside the house. The ATM was inside and he was one of many waiting in line to pay. He was also on my strong side the whole time, never behind me.