• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan Constirution 1835 to present gun rights

LaVere

imported post

Michigan became a state Jun26 1837
A constitution was being drafted before that around 1835
A new Constitution convention was updated/created 1963

Michigan Bill of Rights

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/hal_mhc_sa_1835_MI_Constitution_51420_7.pdf

ARTICLE I
BILL OF RIGHTS
Right to bear arms.
13. Every person has a right to bear arms for the defence of himself and the state.

While I'm not a scholar let the scholar here search maybe better than me.
for our gun ( arms right ).

The best I can tell this State of Michigan was formed with absolute gun rights. And was ratified several times the last being 1963 to maintain and protect that absolute
right. I could find NO amendment to change those rights ( Can you? ).

My Great grand parents came to Michigan about 1850 ( It is hard to pin point the exact date.) and settled in Central Michigan. They farmed and lived with the ( Native Americans, Indians at they referred to them) at that time. Their descendants have lived here in Michigan for over 158 years. That now includes me, my children, and their children.

Help me research this topic

Gordon

2836636710_88fc5a535d.jpg

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

[font=TimesNewRoman,Bold][font=TimesNewRoman,Bold]

[align=left]No exclusive privileges. [/align]
[/font]

[align=left]3. No man or set of men are entitled to exclusive or separate privileges.[/align]

[align=left]Right to bear arms. [/align]
[/font]

[align=left]13. Every person has a right to bear arms for the defence of himself and the state. [/align][font=TimesNewRoman,Bold]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]on a side note:[/align]

[align=left]Lotteries. [/align]

[align=left]6. No lottery shall be authorized by this State nor shall the sale of lottery tickets be allowed.
[font=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
[/align]
[align=left]Acts void. [/align]
[/font]

[align=left]21. All acts of the legislature contrary to this or any other article of this Constitution, shall be void. [/align]
[/font]

jmlefler

imported post

Well, it appears that the gun rights of Michigan citizens may be curtailed during any event triggering the "Emergency Powers" of any local or State official.

I believe the good folks of North Carolina were concerned about the same issue; the most recent hurricane prompted the Governor the proclaim a "State of Emergency" which did not allow N. Carolinians to carry anywhere but their own property.

They rightly suggested that that would be the most appropriate time to be in full self-protective mode.