• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What your prefered Holster Material??

Best Material

• Leather

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kydex

• Nylon

• no Holster

• other??

• Total voters
G

imported post

...... And Why??

Personally I like Leather, its soft, flexible, durable and comfy to where.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Nylon... Doesn't absorb sweat nor transfer tanning agents, oilor dyes to clothes or body. 'Get it dirty... 'can wash it.

Mack 12ga.

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Nylon... Doesn't absorb sweat nor transfer tanning agents, oilor dyes to clothes or body. 'Get it dirty... 'can wash it.

And why can't you washleather ?? leather is very easy to clean and take care of, and very durable.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I prefer different materials for different situations.

Leather:

Pros:holds shape, fairly durable, flexible, looks great, provides tension, kind on gun finish for the most part

Cons: Requires up keep, it can be damaged, water can ruin it in the long run, it can wear on gun finish in some cases, it can be scratched

Nylon:

Pros: Flexible, extremely durable, water proof, versatile, very kind to gun finishes, nylon holsters often fit multiple firearms

Cons: Doesn't hold shape, doesn't provide tension, isn't as purdy as leather

Kydex (any rigid polymer):

Pros: Holds shape, provides tension, can accommodate non-traditional locking mechanisms (blackhawk, safariland, fobus), can look like leather, OR look cool naturally

Cons: Can easily damage gun finish, not flexible, bulkier, the more brittle material would theoretically break sooner than a flexible nylon, can be scratched

This is just what I can think of off the top of my head. I own holsters of allthree materials and use them all on a regular basis.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Mack 12ga. wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:

And why can't you washleather ?? leather is very easy to clean and take care of, and very durable.
lol I think the point is that you can't toss a leather holster in the laundry with your work jeans :D.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

It shrinks 'n gets stiff.Then need's oiling. Oil xfers to clothes. I have leather gunbelts for the western rig... but I OC the modern stuff daily. Besides... it's not practical in the desert.

Slayer of Paper

imported post

I had to choose "other", because my favorite holsters are a leather/kydex mix. Leather for the backing, and a kydex "pouch" for the gun itself. The Crossbreed Supertuck is a good example of one.

Mack 12ga.

imported post

FogRider wrote:
Leather. It has it's drawbacks, but I still love it.

Yep me to, got a nylon holster for my wheel gun ( Taurus model 66,357) and it works but I don't much care for it, will be looking for something in leather

But my Colt 1991-A1. compact45 is in a Galco avenger and I love it, also have a Miami classic shoulder rig for it and a inside the waistband holster all from Galco and I like them all and will be looking to maybe getting a quick slide as soon as I pick-up my new Para Ordnance P-14 45.

The only one I have that bothers me is my Yaqui slide only because it kinda leans out and not stay close to the body, it might be my belt not big enough for it, I don't know.

markand

imported post

Why? Kydex offers the following:
  1. Fastest draw possible
  2. Holster mouth remains open for easy, safer re-holstering
  3. Doesn't stretch or otherwise lose its shape
  4. Far less expensive than leather
  5. Wasn't treated, as leather is, with tanning chemicals or dyes that can attack the gun's finish
  6. Very long life. I've never had a Kydex holster "wear out". Leather holsters do wear out and even the best leather holsters need to be replaced every few years.
  7. Waterproof. Dirty? Hold it under running water and dry with a towel, although its NOT a good idea to run it through the dishwasher as the dry cycle could cause melting.
  8. Complex retention systems can be more easily incorporated into the holster
Granted, Kydex doesn't look as cool as leather (although some makers, like FIST, offer leather holsters with a Kydex liner).

modificationvt

imported post

I like kydex, for the reasons stated above, and because some makers allow for the same holster to be used on different platforms, so you can get one holster that workds as a hip, drop leg, shoulder, or any other type of holster you can think of.

cREbralFIX

imported post

In my opinion, it depends upon the application.

If I'm OC'ing, then I want a holster that looks good and goes with my outfit. This is a requirement from the XO/female financial & fashion director. A black holster with brown shoes and belt gets me yelled at :banghead:

For CCW and IWB, I definitely prefer kydex. Leather tends to squeak and I don't like walking around like I have squeaky shoes when I'm trying to be low profile.

nova

imported post

My favorite holster material is definately nylon. But only if that nylon holster is a Bianchi Accumold. However I did just order a leather Bianchi IWB holster to try out.

OldManMontgomery

imported post

I've been making holsters for about thirty years now. I make holsters from leather and see no reason to use anything else, absent some extreme conditions. I make holsters for open or concealed carry.

I could see nylon for constantly wet applications, like a water or beach patrol setting.

Leather is easy to work, will do marvelous things if handled (in the construction phase) properly, lasts longer if given even minimal care and is easier on the gun than anything else.

The hard plastic holsters do hold their shape, but tend to crack in cold or very hot weather. Plus, they are hard on finishes. The softer nylon type holsters tend to lose shape and retention qualities quickly.

Nor have I ever found a non-leather holster that didn't look it was bought at the bargain table.