• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

[Blog]Obama Again Distorts His Own 2A Record

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

http://www.alphecca.com/?p=925

Obama Again Distorts His Own 2A Record
This time in Pennsylvania:
And campaigning Friday near Scranton, the Democrat was asked whether — as some foes keep insisting — he would take guns away if elected president. The Times’ Noam Levey was on the scene at a factory in Duryea, and he reported that Obama fiercely denied any such intention, and then explained his position:
“Here’s what I believe: that the 2nd Amendment is an individual right and it means something; that people have a right to bear arms.”
But Obama had some choice words for the National Rifle Assn., which plans to unleash a major ad campaign opposing him this fall:
“Their general attitude is . . . if you even breathe the word gun control or gun safety, then you must want to take away everybody’s guns. Well, that’s just not true.
This from the guy who is on record:
FactCheck: Yes, Obama endorsed Illinois handgun ban
Obama was being misleading when he denied that his handwriting had been on a document endorsing a state ban on the sale and possession of handguns in Illinois. Obama responded, “No, my writing wasn’t on that particular questionnaire. As I said, I have never favored an all-out ban on handguns.”
Actually, Obama’s writing was on the 1996 document, which was filed when Obama was running for the Illinois state Senate. A Chicago nonprofit, Independent Voters of Illinois, had this question, and Obama took hard line:
35. Do you support state legislation to:
a. ban the manufacture, sale and possession of handguns? Yes.
b. ban assault weapons? Yes.
c. mandatory waiting periods and background checks? Yes.
Obama’s campaign said, “Sen. Obama didn’t fill out these state Senate questionnaires–a staffer did–and there are several answers that didn’t reflect his views then or now. He may have jotted some notes on the front page of the questionnaire, but some answers didn’t reflect his views.”
He was caught in a lie by FactCheck.org
But wait! There’s more:
Ban semi-automatics, and more possession restrictions
Principles that Obama supports on gun issues:
*Ban the sale or transfer of all forms of semi-automatic weapons.
* Increase state restrictions on the purchase and possession of firearms.
* Require manufacturers to provide child-safety locks with firearms.
Source: 1998 IL State Legislative National Political Awareness Test Jul 2, 1998
Barack Obama: Change we don’t want!

longwatch

imported post

My comment is that obviously Obama is thinking about gun bans and gun control because he's counted the votes.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/09/05/obama-im-not-going-to-take-your-guns-away/

September 5, 2008, 2:38 pm Obama: ‘I’m Not Going to Take Your Guns Away’ Christopher Cooper reports from Duryea, Pa., on the presidential race.
The Obama campaign talks a lot about new ideas and expanding the political map, but in the swing state of Pennsylvania, which the campaign has focused on almost exclusively since the Democratic convention, old-school issues still rise to the fore.
The latest example came Friday during a small political event at SCHOTT North America Inc., a glass factory in Duryea, Pa., where even a hand-picked crowd threw Barack Obama a curve ball.
A woman in the crowd told Obama she had “heard a rumor” that he might be planning some sort of gun ban upon being elected president. Obama trotted out his standard policy stance, that he had a deep respect for the “traditions of gun ownership” but favored measures in big cities to keep guns out of the hands of “gang bangers and drug dealers’’ in big cities “who already have them and are shooting people.”
“If you’ve got a gun in your house, I’m not taking it,’’ Obama said. But the Illinois senator could still see skeptics in the crowd, particularly on the faces of several men at the back of the room.
So he tried again. “Even if I want to take them away, I don’t have the votes in Congress,’’ he said. “This can’t be the reason not to vote for me. Can everyone hear me in the back? I see a couple of sportsmen back there. I’m not going to take away your guns.’’
http://ace.mu.nu/archives/272740.phpObama and Gun Confiscation —Gabriel Malor Friday Obama took some hits for this less-than-convincing answer to a question about gun bans. He said:
"If you've got a gun in your house, I'm not taking it," Obama said. But the Illinois senator could still see skeptics in the crowd, particularly on the faces of several men at the back of the room. So he tried again. "Even if I want to take them away, I don't have the votes in Congress," he said. "This can't be the reason not to vote for me. Can everyone hear me in the back? I see a couple of sportsmen back there. I’m not going to take away your guns."
The question was about gun bans. It's not clear from reports whether they were talking about gun regulation (for example, making it difficult to purchase a firearm) or gun confiscation or, more likely, didn't specify.
I, along with most others, thought he was talking about gun regulations. I had no real reason to believe that except that gun confiscation in this country is nearly unthinkable and when we talk about gun bans, we usually mean the kind of regulation that stops people from acquiring them, but not from keeping the ones they already have. Any presidential candidate to even flirt with the idea of confiscation would be quickly and unceremoniously booted off of the national stage.
But doubleplusundead makes the case that Obama really wants gun confiscation:
"If you've got a gun in your house, I'm not taking it," Obama said. But the Illinois senator could still see skeptics in the crowd, particularly on the faces of several men at the back of the room.​
Take note of that line I underlined. The gun is in your house, meaning you own it, Obama says nothing about going out and purchasing a new firearm. He's not really lying in that statement, he probably won't be sending the authorities to kick down your door and empty your gun cabinet. Which is all irrelevant, because that isn't what the lady asked. She asked if Obama was going to support gun bans. Let's look at the rest of the quote,
So he tried again. "Even if I want to take them away, I don't have the votes in Congress," he said. "This can't be the reason not to vote for me. Can everyone hear me in the back? I see a couple of sportsmen back there. I'm not going to take away your guns."​
Again, Obama didn't answer her question, he's answering a question about confiscation policy, she's asking about bans which would prevent purchase of certain (perhaps all?) firearms. This is a tricky rhetorical device to avoid answering her question. He won't answer her question, she won't say if he'll pursue bans.
Click over and read DPUD's whole thing, but then come back here and tell me what you think. Is the statement "even if I wanted to, I couldn't" really an admission that Obama wants to take away guns and not just ban their sale?
Does the distinction even matter? Are there some voters out there who would support gun bans, but not gun confiscation?
Posted by Gabriel Malor

longwatch

imported post

DonTreadOnMe wrote:
New Obama quote:

“Even if I want to take them away, I don’t have the votes in Congress,’’ Obama said guns. “This can’t be the reason not to vote for me."

Yes it can, and as I see it now he gets to pay for his previous anti-gun votes.

Slayer of Paper

imported post

Obama doesn't want to confiscate guns...he'll leave that to his vice president, who would be more than happy too!

He'll just prepare the way by increasing registration regulation, making it tougher to buy new guns, impossible to buy new guns that the government doesn't have in their database, and impossible to buy most semi-automatic guns. Then, once his 8 years are up (remember, he believes in hope), Biden will take over and using all that information gained by creating gun registration, he'll send the Army to take them all!

Fantasy? maybe. Possible? You betcha! If you don't believe that Joe Biden would love nothing more than to confiscate every privately-owned firearm in America (the world, actually), you're kidding yourself.

Dustin

imported post

Slayer of Paper wrote:
Obama doesn't want to confiscate guns...he'll leave that to his vice president, who would be more than happy too!

He'll just prepare the way by increasing registration regulation, making it tougher to buy new guns, impossible to buy new guns that the government doesn't have in their database, and impossible to buy most semi-automatic guns. Then, once his 8 years are up (remember, he believes in hope), Biden will take over and using all that information gained by creating gun registration, he'll send the Army to take them all!

Fantasy? maybe. Possible? You betcha! If you don't believe that Joe Biden would love nothing more than to confiscate every privately-owned firearm in America (the world, actually), you're kidding yourself.

What worries me is the ability for Obama to apoint Federal Judges who hate Guns if he's president.