• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

You can carry.. but can you shoot?

LEO 229

imported post

The wife's target

HK P30

5 Rounds from 7 yards

LEO's target

Glock 26

50 Rounds from 7 yards

LEO 229

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
I keep putting 50 rounds through tiny targets and then wondering why they always look like such close groupings. :uhoh:
Not sure how tiny you think these are.

These are 12 x 12 so there is plenty or room for error.

I have seen full body targets from the same distance look like they were hit with a shot gun. :lol:

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
I keep putting 50 rounds through tiny targets and then wondering why they always look like such close groupings. :uhoh:

I have seen full body targets from the same distance look like they were hit with a shot gun. :lol:

Yea I've seen some real winners at the range too. I was just commenting on the fact that 50 rounds through a single target, even a 12x12, is useless. A mag or two usually gives a better idea of actual grouping size.

LEO 229

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:

Yea I've seen some real winners at the range too. I was just commenting on the fact that 50 rounds through a single target, even a 12x12, is useless. A mag or two usually gives a better idea of actual grouping size.
Oh, I agree with you... and I did see the grouping on the first two mags. After you can see that your grouping is tight you do not discard the target do you?

There is a bullseye you can still shoot out and that is what I did. The challenge is to continue and not shoot a stray. This adds a little pressure and that is good for training.

The wife and I shoot no more than 50 rounds per target andwe replace them.

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

That's pretty darn consistent shootin' there LEO 229. Your new avatar cracks me up.Is heincognito or the bag man? Just kidding. Fun post.

FogRider

imported post

270Win.jpg

Ruger M77 .270 @200yd. Ignore the guy low and left, that's a stray from a different gun.

Hey, you never specified pistol. Implied, yes, but since I don't have a pistol target handy I'm gonna bend the rules a bit.

LEO 229

imported post

rodbender wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
I found these...

http://members.cox.net/sailorcurt/silhouet.pdf

I will be printing them out and giving it a try..
So, which silhouette do you shoot at? The gray or the black or both?
You shoot at the one that would be "behind" the other. The gray is the innocent person being used as a shield.

It is a hostage shoot... you do NOT want to hit the one in front.

So you shoot the black only.... Unless you do not care. :shock:

LEO 229

imported post

FogRider wrote:
Ruger M77 .270 @200yd. Ignore the guy low and left, that's a stray from a different gun.

Hey, you never specified pistol. Implied, yes, but since I don't have a pistol target handy I'm gonna bend the rules a bit.
You using a scope? That's cheat'n

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
LEO's target

Glock 26

50 Rounds from 7 yards

Nice shooting, LEO. Now I'd really be impressed if you shot thatgroup with your MP5. :D

Here's my bragging target: AR-15 10 shots at 100 yards withopen sights.

72402001-1.jpg

cREbralFIX

imported post

What does target shooting have to do with combat shooting? Either way...looks fun. What size target is that?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

rodbender wrote:
So, which silhouette do you shoot at? The gray or the black or both?
At http://blog.vcdl.org/index.php?/archives/236-September-E-postal-Match.html are the rules for shooting these targets, and getting bragging rights.

On 8-1/2x11 paper, at 7 yds, tack up all 4 targets, shoot 5 rounds at each. Each round in or touching the black is 5 pts, each round in or touching the gray is -5 points, outside the silhouettes counts 0.

nova

imported post

Top target was 50rds with a rented Kimber Custom II that had not been cleaned in God knows how long.

DSCN0366.jpg

Bottom target was my Hi-power after doing somework on the feedramp to confirm reliability...not exactly taking my time shooting, just popping off rounds quickly to make sure it wouldn't doublefeed or FTE.

DSCN0429-1.jpg

Both targets were around 10yds.