• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry at Hy-Vee in Lees Summit

Richieg150

imported post

Well today my wife and I went grocery shopping at Hy-vee.Like I have done dozens of times before I was open carrying while we were shopping.Everything went ok,I didnt seem to notice any actions from people out of the ordinary when seeing someone carrying open.We loadded our stuff up and proceeded to leave when a local LEO pulled up behind our vechile,lights on,he got out of his car,drew his weapeon,and told me to put both my hands out the window where he could see them.He approached my widow the asked if I has a weapon,and WHY I had a weapon.We chit chatted some..........he then asked me to get out and give him my weapon.........for his safety,I told him I didnt think I had to surrender it to him as I had done nothing wrong,and was not breaking the law.I eventually gave it to him,along withy my drivers license.He ran my license and the came back and gave my weapon back and told me I should have told him I have a CCW ,I told him that I didnt need a CCW to carry open,he told me he knew that but somebody in the store complained to the manager and felt threatened.The manager then called them,and here we are.Its amazing how stupid some people are................thinking only LEO's or bad guys carry weapons.

cmatthews40510

imported post

Growing pains... it's awful that something like that has to happen but its certainly not unexpected as this new"movement" continues to grow.

I had a similar incident while traveling through MO and now CC only as its too time consuming to figure out where you can carry openly.

captainamerica

imported post

LEO that draw their weapon on a law abiding open carry citizen in a compliant geographical area ought to have a suspension at best or lose their job at worse.

It's one thing to get the call of a person-with-a-handgun from a scared pants-wetting dufus but it's another for the LEO to draw down on them with no criminal activity reported or even suspected.

SOVEREIGN ARMS LLC

imported post

Agreed:

I had two Leo's hold me at gun point on my own property in Jefferson county MO while I was behind my business doing training drills and firing from concealment. " Some neighbors" that recently moved into the new subdivision across the highway called and complained, and I almost was shot for obeying the law on my own property.

Both of the responding deputies walked up my driveway un holstered( neighbors across the street witnessed them) and then approached me coming around a blind corner. I and this deputy were muzzle to muzzle and eye ball to eye ball for a bout two to three seconds and I lowered my firearm and raise my other hand. Then the deputy got very "brave" and began giving me commands and orders while his other partner held me at gunpoint on the ground. I immediately identified myself as the property owner/ a licensed concealed carry instructor on file with Jefferson County, and a Federal firearms dealer. His response was utterly amazing as he stated I was committing un lawful use of a firearm and that I was going to loose my FFL. After 15 minutes of him being on his cell phone with ?????? explaining the situation. He suddenly got real nice and shook my hand and told me he would "let me be about my business".

Gee thanks for not shooting me on my own property while I was doing nothing illegal. Needless to say Sheriff Boyer and I had a very nice discussion and Sheriff Boyer stated I was well within my rights to shoot safely on my own property.:celebrate

It all turned out well, but that could have ended terribly. What do these people think they can just do whatever they want with no repercussions:banghead:

captainamerica

imported post

Your story is scary. From all perspectives. I'd want someones hide if they stuck their nose in my business in that manner but most of the time these kind of cowardly pants wetters go unnamed. But the officers that did this should get some serious punishment. At the very least I'd be tempted to put something in the local papers so that all county citizens know about this stupidity and abuse of power; let alone exposing their superiors if no punishment was given.

SOVEREIGN ARMS LLC

imported post

It was scary and for about three days after that I found myself becoming increasingly angered with the blatant injustice of it. However Sheriff Boyer was very nice about it, he sent an LT. out to the shop to "confirm" everything was in order and that I was shooting in a safe direction etc. And the LT. said I was doing nothing wrong or illegal. They also said they would "red flag" my business in the event there was another call about in regards to shots being fired here in the future. I truly believe that if I had not lowered my firearm in another 1/2 a second this young deputy would have shot me.:what: His whole attitude was so off the charts in the things he said to me in the next 15 minutes or so I could not believe I was on my property where I have been shooting for over 16 years and because some neighbors that moved in from St. Louis County ( according to the Sheriff) to a new subdivision( about 1 1/2 years old) ACROSS the highway decided to call 911 for someone target shooting on their own property in a safe direction.:question: Thank God no one got shot. I can only hope behind the scenes, that this incident was used as a training aid for what officers should NOT do when they arrive on scene in an area where it IS legal to discharge your firearms in Jefferson Co. MO. I do like the posting the story in the Jefferson Co journal or paper idea. I'm not trying to start problems with the LEO's in Jeff co. I was hoping as a Federal Firearms dealer I would get a chance to Sell to them; NOT get SHOT by them:shock:

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I got asked to leave the Lees Summit Hy-Vee, told him I didnt see a sign and never been asked to leave a Hy-Vee, been stopped by managers but never booted.

Wal-Mart check
Hy-Vee check

Hen House will see

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ok got a call from the store manager at Hy-Vee and its a GO he said it is OK and the over night manager will be informed as well as the workers, I told him I could drop off some fliers for customers that would report a guy with a gun, and he said that would be great and he would like one any ways

This is the 291 and 2nd St store