• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Your thoughts?

NWGirl

imported post

I'm still pretty new to handguns so I'm not sure what all I should be looking at. I was hoping that by posting here maybe some of you with more knowledge would give me some ideas for guns that would fit my medium/small woman hands.

For comparison purposes I have the EMP 9 mm and it fits me about perfectly. I also have a Sig 229 in 9mm and it's a little on the large size (but I don't care because I love shooting it! :p )

I've shot my DH's Glock 21 (.45) but the thing is HUGE for me making not only the grip difficult but the trigger is awful!! I suspect that the fit of the gun has something to do with how much I detest that trigger so I'm hopful if I choose a Glock of my own with a proper fit it could be overcome. That and I dry fired one that had a trigger job and that was much better. ;)

Oh, and DH just bought 911boss's Kimber and I got to shoot it last night. OH MY WORD!!! I love that gun! My poor husband looked very frightened after I finished my first magazine. He immediately reminded me that it was his gun. Darn it.

So now here I am. Coveting his gun, wanting a .45 of my own but not sure what to get. Originally I wanted something I could take to the river, fishing, camping, etc and not worry about it so much if I fall in or something (especially if he isn't with me and I'm alone with the kids). But I have to admit, I've developed something of a 1911 fetish.

The biggest thing is I want something that will fit my hands and I just don't know enough about what's out there to know what has slim grips. Or can at least be modified to fit me better.

I know that's a very large spectrum to work with but I figure if I at least have some choices to look at I can narrow it down as I research. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Darth AkSarBen

imported post

Well, I had a Bersa Mini FireStorm .45 ACP, and it shot very well, but my wife had a bit of a time getting a proper grip on it. It would be the same size as the Sig P239. In fact any holster that fit the Sig, would fit the Bersa.

I traded it and my other Bersa for the Taurus 24/7 Pro in a Stainless Steel slide model. Shoots very accurately. My wife, who has smallish hands could grip it well, and her first shot hit the black. Not bad.

It feed everything I've given it, and even no hiccup in rapid fire, one handed.

Darth AkSarBen

imported post

Also, something else to consider is that the first shot is Single Action like the 1911 Colts, and all subsequent shots are also single action, unless you encounter a stubborn primer and you can re-cock the striker by using the trigger in Double Action mode to strike the primer again. No fiddling with the slide, simply re-pull the trigger. I know, you squeeze the trigger, but just for the sake of illustration I say pull. *S*

This makes for a very easy and consistent shot to shot, first shot to all shots. Mine holds 12 rounds +1.

Below is a 3 shot group from the pistol using Remington GoldenSaber 185gr +P ammo. Shoots quite accurately with this round. 2 roundsabove thegroup aremushroomed .45 Remington GS rounds.

Lykosis

imported post

Well, NWgirl, what is your price range? There are quite a few 'slim' 1911s out there for the right price, but that price tends to be over $700.00 for a base line. I'll come out and say right now that I am a huge Para Ordnance fan, so I would steer you in that direction. Most high end 1911s, like Wilson, Kimber, Para, and others, have match grade components. However, like all things, this only matters given your skill level.

I suggest reading this thread on the forum:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum5/15201.html

It concerns entry level 1911s, which won't break the bank. Almost all 1911s are similar in construction, albeit with different barrel lengths and certain concealment sized one being different. I would suggest getting the brand that you like and can afford. Then do some searches, whether online or at the LGS (local gun shop) for some slim grips. This would be the only thing to change the grip size, which is a concern of yours, if you get a standard 5" barrel sized 1911. .45ACP is a large round, and there is only so much the frame of the gun can be reduced before becoming structurally unsound.

Evil Ernie

imported post

"Once you go 1911, you never go back!" LMAO

I shot my first 1911 in the Army, and fell in love with it. It was old, beat up, worn out, loose, noisy when shook, but deadeye accurate and never failed. I almost cried the day I saw it thrown in a pile with 50 or so other 1911's, headed for the smelter.....Thanks Bill.

Oh, and the M9 sucks. FLAME ON!!!!!!!!!!

jameshasguns

imported post

Taurus Model PT 1911's have some very high end features and are deadly accurate and reliable right out of the box. With a suggested retail around six hundred and their lifetime warranty, you can't go wrong. They offer several styles, finishes, barrel lengths, etc and they give you a one year free membership in the NRA.

eyesopened

imported post

I've got an EMP too and it's a great pistol for someone with small hands. 1911s are great for small handed folks as it is a very thin pistol. Take a look at an XD45 either in compact or full size version. They are very close to a 1911 in grip size. If you don't mind Glocks, I got a chance to shoot a Glock G36 (single stack .45) and it was very comfortable. I don't normally like the feel of Glock's because of the larger grip sizes, but the single stack of the G36 actually felt pretty good.

NWGirl

imported post

I'm kind of a researcher and I'm not in a big hurry to buy something. In fact, after DH's purchase of the Kimber I need to save up anyway. Since I'm saving up I'm willing to keep saving until I have enough for whatever I've chosen, even if it's expensive. (At least with both DH and I having this addiction I won't get in trouble for spending a lot! :D )

I just saw the G36 online yesterday and I am intrigued by it. I've preferred the grip of the XD over the grip of the Glocks but with it being a single stack and it's in their Slimline category it may actually fit me better. I'll have to see if I can find one local to play with.

Back on the 1911's topic, I picked up a Nighthawk at a local GS. Wow, thatis a beautiful gun! See, I already have expensive taste. :uhoh: I wasn't really paying attention to how it fits but it was sure pretty!

Nobody told me when I bought my first gun that this would be an addiction!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I had 2 discussions over the weekend with shooters with small man hands and medium women hands. Both parties chose an M&P 9mm and say that with the smallest backstrap insert they have never handled a more comfortable handgun.

There are several members here who have them and may chime in. I have handled but not shot them and am making no recommendation beyond passing on the comments of 2 satisfied owners who appear to have similar hand size as you.

67GT390FB

imported post

NWGirl wrote:
I'm kind of a researcher and I'm not in a big hurry to buy something. In fact, after DH's purchase of the Kimber I need to save up anyway. Since I'm saving up I'm willing to keep saving until I have enough for whatever I've chosen, even if it's expensive. (At least with both DH and I having this addiction I won't get in trouble for spending a lot! :D )

I just saw the G36 online yesterday and I am intrigued by it. I've preferred the grip of the XD over the grip of the Glocks but with it being a single stack and it's in their Slimline category it may actually fit me better. I'll have to see if I can find one local to play with.

Back on the 1911's topic, I picked up a Nighthawk at a local GS. Wow, thatis a beautiful gun! See, I already have expensive taste. :uhoh: I wasn't really paying attention to how it fits but it was sure pretty!

Nobody told me when I bought my first gun that this would be an addiction!
a female friend of mine loves her Colt Defender and shoots IDPA with it. She's 5'6" maybe 110 soaking wet and has really small hands. She figures if she can shoot competively with a short barreled light weight .45 then anything else she might carry will feel like a bb gun. She did not like my Officers Model, essentially same gun just steel instead of alloy frame, though because of the bump in the grip safety. Her Defender's grip safety does not have this bump so it fits her perfectly.

Eeyore

imported post

If concealment is important: Taurus PT145, Smith & Wesson M&P45c, or Kimber UltraCarry II

Mid-sized: M&P45 or "commander" sized 1911

If you want double action and light weight is not a priority: Baby Desert Eagle in .45

Metal_Monkey

imported post

A P series Ruger is a great gun for small and big hands alike. Hogue grips are a perfect mate for them also. The wifey(with tiny tiny hands)rather enjoys shooting my p90. The worst consisted of glocks, FNP-45, XD, and most double stacked or "plastic" guns. Felt like holding a brick to her.The single stacked .45 Ruger/Sig/H&K/and some 1911's is about the best you can get. OR you could always get a S&W 500 and show everyone what a real woman you are;)

ALSO I know I am gonna hear a lot on this one, but here goes; DON'T buy a Colt unless you really want to know what kind of gun NOT to buy. Beretta .......again I'd rather have a pointed stick to defend myself.

ODA 226

imported post

Since you already have an EMP, why not get a Springfield Micro Compact .45? They would look cute together! :lol: