Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Joined The Police Department, And I Didn't Know It!

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Oh, wait, I am not a police officer.

But, damn, everyone in Wally-World sure thought so...

I had 3 people make the assumption that I was an officer, due to the XD Tactical I had strapped to my waist. (It is obnoxiously large; not much mistaking it for a cellphone.)

This, in spite of blue jeans, a simple pullover t-shirt, and plain white New Balance shoes.

Should have seen the surprise when I replied that I wasn't an officer.

Post imported post

You should have seen me the day I went out in khakis and a nice shirt after a haircut. With my XD45 in a dark leather holster I couldn't convince one young guy that I wasn't a detective. For some reason he just wouldn't believe me.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

FogRider wrote:
    You should have seen me the day I went out in khakis and a nice shirt after a haircut. With my XD45 in a dark leather holster I couldn't convince one young guy that I wasn't a detective. For some reason he just wouldn't believe me.
    Hehehe.

Probably thought you were gonna' bust him for that pot he had just smoked...

(All paranoid and such. )

Post imported post

Phoenixphire wrote:
    Hehehe.

Probably thought you were gonna' bust him for that pot he had just smoked...

(All paranoid and such. )
    It was near Denver.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Be careful...

Nancy Pelosi may be nearby.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

The paranoids are after me! The paranoids are after me!

Besides, I think it was the white sneaks.

Post imported post

Pretty funny stuff. I've had that happen to me. Several high-school age kids were all looking at my gun and commenting to each other about it. In the background, I heard them refer to me as "officer" such as in the phrase "the officer's gun." Then when I had to get by or they had to get by me, they said something like "excuse me, officer." Kind of funny.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I always correct people.

One of the main reasons I open carry is to remove that idea that only an police officer can carry a gun. When people ask, or refer to me as an officer, my reply usually is something like "Nope, just trying to be a responsible citizen."

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

For some reason the quote from the movie Righteous Kill comes to mind. "Most people respect the badge, everyone respects the gun" It happens but I don't like being mistaken for a LEO, only because I want to promote civilian open carry.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Following the GA commitee meeting today, Skidmark and I spent some time looking for answers to some of the minor problems that occurred. Visited the archive library, print shop and others.

Then stopped for a late lunch. After serving us our meals, our waitress leaned over, cupped her hand around my ear and whispered, "I know what you are. You're a bounty hunter."

I didn't want to disappoint her nor lie, so between bites of my burger I replied , "You might be right" and just kept on eating.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

I've been called 'officer', 'detective', and asked how long I've been a cop, etcetera. The most amusing encounter was ata Stop & Shop;a scummy-looking character saw me putting my purchases in a bag, noticed my sidearm, gave me a very wary look and asked if I were a bail agent.

It was only later that I wondered if that guy had a reason to be concerned...

Post imported post

With the way I dress, the only way people ever mistake me for being a cop is if they are very young children from Kali, or if they are from Mexico. When you dress in beat up blue collar working gear and use a camo holster, you are not very cop-ish.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Don't want to be mistaken for a cop? Don't shave for a week. Works for me.

Post imported post

A week? Pfft. I have more scrub than an under-cover cop in two DAYS, tops!
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

Come on guys - I can hear my whiskers growing!

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Post imported post

Penny Arcade for the

Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

My X wife called me & said a pipe burst at my daughters apt & her friend was there but couldn't fine my daughter to get her home & her friend didn't know how to turn off the water,

I went to her apt & just walked in checked it out & left. Didn't tell her friend who I was.

My daughter stopped by that evening laughing because her friend told her some cop scared her to death when hebarged in, turned off the water & left without saying a word.

( I was in jean shorts, tucked in t-shirt & PCong an xd45 in blackhawk holster)

Regular Member trevorthebusdriver's Avatar

Post imported post

People think I'm a cop, too.

Could be my black t-shirt with the big OCDO on the back.:celebrate

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Yeah I think the shorts and flip flops (for a couple more weeks hopefully) make people come up with another identity for me other than cop.

Post imported post

I've never been mistaken for a LEO. I have been mistaken for a bank-robber before, that wasn't much fun at all. The LEO was nice once he realized I didn't do it.

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    For some reason the quote from the movie Righteous Kill comes to mind.* "Most people respect the badge, everyone respects the gun"* It happens but I don't like being mistaken for a LEO, only because I want to promote civilian open carry.
    Very true.

Post imported post

next time reply like this

Are you a cop?

No butI did stay at a Holiday inn Expess last nite.

Post imported post

I had one person ask me if i was a cop, it was a little kid inside of wendys.
    I was in line waiting to order my food, He yelled out loud "HE HAS A GUN" in my mind i was like oh ****!!!!! then he asked me if i was a cop and i politely said no. I just looked to the floor until i ordered my food. But honestly no one seem to care.

Post imported post

slowzx320 wrote:
    I had one person ask me if i was a cop, it was a little kid inside of wendys.
    I was in line waiting to order my food, He yelled out loud "HE HAS A GUN" in my mind i was like oh @#$%!!!!! then he asked me if i was a cop and i politely said no. I just looked to the floor until i ordered my food. But honestly no one seem to care.
    Would have been nice to take the time to tell him that good guys so that too.

Please don't hide your eyes by looking at the floor. IMO it conveys that you have something to hide. Hold your head up and maintain tactical awareness - look confident, that expresses a positive attitude.

Yata hey

Post imported post

A couple of weeks ago a kid at church asked me if I was the Sheriff...:?
    I wasn't even carrying a gun! No badge.. No nothing! And where I go to church, the 'normal' attire is boots, jeans, button/snap down, and a cowboy hat! (it's a "Cowboy Church") That one threw me a little bit....

*edit* punctuation error...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast