• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I Joined The Police Department, And I Didn't Know It!

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Oh, wait, I am not a police officer.

But, damn, everyone in Wally-World sure thought so...

I had 3 people make the assumption that I was an officer, due to the XD Tactical I had strapped to my waist. (It is obnoxiously large; not much mistaking it for a cellphone.)

This, in spite of blue jeans, a simple pullover t-shirt, and plain white New Balance shoes.

Should have seen the surprise when I replied that I wasn't an officer. :D

FogRider

imported post

You should have seen me the day I went out in khakis and a nice shirt after a haircut. With my XD45 in a dark leather holster I couldn't convince one young guy that I wasn't a detective. For some reason he just wouldn't believe me.

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

FogRider wrote:
You should have seen me the day I went out in khakis and a nice shirt after a haircut. With my XD45 in a dark leather holster I couldn't convince one young guy that I wasn't a detective. For some reason he just wouldn't believe me.

Hehehe.

Probably thought you were gonna' bust him for that pot he had just smoked...

(All paranoid and such. :D )

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The paranoids are after me! The paranoids are after me! :uhoh:

Besides, I think it was the white sneaks. :lol:

protector84

imported post

Pretty funny stuff. I've had that happen to me. Several high-school age kids were all looking at my gun and commenting to each other about it. In the background, I heard them refer to me as "officer" such as in the phrase "the officer's gun." Then when I had to get by or they had to get by me, they said something like "excuse me, officer." Kind of funny.

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I always correct people.

One of the main reasons I open carry is to remove that idea that only an police officer can carry a gun. When people ask, or refer to me as an officer, my reply usually is something like "Nope, just trying to be a responsible citizen."

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

For some reason the quote from the movie Righteous Kill comes to mind. "Most people respect the badge, everyone respects the gun" It happens but I don't like being mistaken for a LEO, only because I want to promote civilian open carry.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Following the GA commitee meeting today, Skidmark and I spent some time looking for answers to some of the minor problems that occurred. Visited the archive library, print shop and others.

Then stopped for a late lunch. After serving us our meals, our waitress leaned over, cupped her hand around my ear and whispered, "I know what you are. You're a bounty hunter."

I didn't want to disappoint her nor lie, so between bites of my burger I replied , "You might be right" and just kept on eating.

Yata hey

MGoduto

imported post

I've been called 'officer', 'detective', and asked how long I've been a cop, etcetera. The most amusing encounter was ata Stop & Shop;a scummy-looking character saw me putting my purchases in a bag, noticed my sidearm, gave me a very wary look and asked if I were a bail agent.

It was only later that I wondered if that guy had a reason to be concerned...

Michigander

imported post

With the way I dress, the only way people ever mistake me for being a cop is if they are very young children from Kali, or if they are from Mexico. When you dress in beat up blue collar working gear and use a camo holster, you are not very cop-ish.

rottman43055

imported post

My X wife called me & said a pipe burst at my daughters apt & her friend was there but couldn't fine my daughter to get her home & her friend didn't know how to turn off the water,

I went to her apt & just walked in checked it out & left. Didn't tell her friend who I was.

My daughter stopped by that evening laughing because her friend told her some cop scared her to death when hebarged in, turned off the water & left without saying a word. :lol:

( I was in jean shorts, tucked in t-shirt & PCong an xd45 in blackhawk holster)

RaidersRule

imported post

I've never been mistaken for a LEO. I have been mistaken for a bank-robber before, that wasn't much fun at all. The LEO was nice once he realized I didn't do it. :)