• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I Joined The Police Department, And I Didn't Know It!

nitrovic

imported post

longwatch wrote:
For some reason the quote from the movie Righteous Kill comes to mind.  "Most people respect the badge, everyone respects the gun"  It happens but I don't like being mistaken for a LEO, only because I want to promote civilian open carry.

Very true.

slowzx320

imported post

I had one person ask me if i was a cop, it was a little kid inside of wendys.
I was in line waiting to order my food, He yelled out loud "HE HAS A GUN" in my mind i was like oh shit!!!!! then he asked me if i was a cop and i politely said no. I just looked to the floor until i ordered my food. But honestly no one seem to care.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

slowzx320 wrote:
I was in line waiting to order my food, He yelled out loud "HE HAS A GUN" in my mind i was like oh @#$%!!!!! then he asked me if i was a cop and i politely said no. I just looked to the floor until i ordered my food. But honestly no one seem to care.
Would have been nice to take the time to tell him that good guys so that too.

Please don't hide your eyes by looking at the floor. IMO it conveys that you have something to hide. Hold your head up and maintain tactical awareness - look confident, that expresses a positive attitude.

Yata hey

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

A couple of weeks ago a kid at church asked me if I was the Sheriff...:?
I wasn't even carrying a gun! No badge.. No nothing! And where I go to church, the 'normal' attire is boots, jeans, button/snap down, and a cowboy hat! (it's a "Cowboy Church") That one threw me a little bit....

*edit* punctuation error...

protector84

imported post

A lot of it may have to do with how you carry yourself. Since I started carrying a gun, I could tell that I carried myself a bit differently. Even if I am carrying concealed or not at all, I still have a certain walk and stance that I may not notice myself but others pick up on. Your situational awareness is going to be much higher than the average Joe, your posture will also be better because if you are used to open carry, you want to stand tall instead of looking like you are out of it, and additionally you will be more direct with people but in a polite way. These are all good things in my opinion but since most people don't have these habits, they will see it in you. As the saying goes, an armed society is a polite society. If my disposition (whether OC, CC, or not carrying) causes people to behave better then that is a good thing.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

protector84 wrote:
A lot of it may have to do with how you carry yourself. Since I started carrying a gun, I could tell that I carried myself a bit differently. Even if I am carrying concealed or not at all, I still have a certain walk and stance that I may not notice myself but others pick up on. Your situational awareness is going to be much higher than the average Joe, your posture will also be better because if you are used to open carry, you want to stand tall instead of looking like you are out of it, and additionally you will be more direct with people but in a polite way. These are all good things in my opinion but since most people don't have these habits, they will see it in you. As the saying goes, an armed society is a polite society. If my disposition (whether OC, CC, or not carrying) causes people to behave better then that is a good thing.
Body language is a very effective communicator - you are very much to the point. Add in all the nuances of speech i.e tone of voice, facial expression, manner of dress and we project an image and deliver a message. At the least, this offers a confident (or not) counter point and in some is developed to the art of command presence.

That "live image" may be natural but I suspect more than a small amount is a learned and deliberate act, especially to OCers. We tend to look people in the eye, respond directly but politely and pratice tactical awareness to a degree unknown to others. Once the mind and body are trained to this end it becomes automatic and does not easily turn off in church or anywhere else.

How others perceive you, goes beyond the mere presence of a handgun. It encompasses your entire persona. All the more reason to consider your "image" each and every time you chose to carry.

Yata hey

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
protector84 wrote:
Body language is a very effective communicator - you are very much to the point. Add in all the nuances of speech i.e tone of voice, facial expression, manner of dress and we project an image and deliver a message. At the least, this offers a confident (or not) counter point and in some is developed to the art of command presence.

That "live image" may be natural but I suspect more than a small amount is a learned and deliberate act, especially to OCers. We tend to look people in the eye, respond directly but politely and pratice tactical awareness to a degree unknown to others. Once the mind and body are trained to this end it becomes automatic and does not easily turn off in church or anywhere else.

How others perceive you, goes beyond the mere presence of a handgun. It encompasses your entire persona. All the more reason to consider your "image" each and every time you chose to carry.

Yata hey

Very well put, both of you!
Yes, I was taught from a young age to "Stand up straight" etc etc etc... As I got older, I realized that 'standing square' and exuding self confidence while remaining humble and polite was the fastest way to earn the instant respect of others.
Although I am not, and never have been Military, I have been through a good bit of the same training and believe in the same core principals instilled by the military. I am often mistaken as (former) military, and although I quickly correct so as not to cause confusion, I always take that as a compliment! I do believe that that was the first time that I had been mistaken as the Sheriff however!

I now try to help to instill that same level of self confidence in others whos lives I have an affect on.
The biggest thing is to know the line between self confidence and 'cockyness'. Unfortunately, many take their self confidence over that line....

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I too have been mistaken, and sometimes I have corrected people, but sometimes they just don't really want to hear you tell them no. It gives them piece of mind thinking that I am LE. To many if you are not LE you must be a criminal.

There is nothing we can do unfortunately other than maybe have a flyer ready to hand them and try to explain the beauty of feeling secure.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Theseus wrote:
I too have been mistaken, and sometimes I have corrected people, but sometimes they just don't really want to hear you tell them no. It gives them piece of mind thinking that I am LE. To many if you are not LE you must be a criminal.

There is nothing we can do unfortunately other than maybe have a flyer ready to hand them and try to explain the beauty of feeling secure.
Actually, we are doing something about it, everyday, every time somebody else sees us and nothing bad happens. That is a lot more than nothing. :) We just don't always have the opportunity to talk with all of them one on one.

Yata hey

shakul

imported post

I love 5.11 Tac pants... especially the new ones that came out w. Fleece... OMG are they so comfy... anyways I usually wear long sleeve timberland shirts and for the most part I CC *I like having a jacket in case it rains* but during the summer I OC a lot... For the most part I take the bus and I walk since I don't have a car, so people like to come up to me "Excuse me officer, could you help me..." I usually answer cause I'm nice but I always have to tell them "Oh I'm not a cop" most of them just look at me like I'm not telling them the truth, others just don't really mind.

2a4all

imported post

shakul wrote:
I love 5.11 Tac pants... especially the new ones that came out w. Fleece... OMG are they so comfy... anyways I usually wear long sleeve timberland shirts and for the most part I CC *I like having a jacket in case it rains* but during the summer I OC a lot... For the most part I take the bus and I walk since I don't have a car, so people like to come up to me "Excuse me officer, could you help me..." I usually answer cause I'm nice but I always have to tell them "Oh I'm not a cop" most of them just look at me like I'm not telling them the truth, others just don't really mind.
Wow! You mean that they just let you on a public conveyance while OCing, and nobody complains? The bus drivers don't kick you off or call the cops? Is some of that walking you do because the bus driver saw you coming and just drove off?

Who runs your local transit system? The folks here who run the Hampton Roads Transit (HRT) system need to talk with them. The Norfolk, VA PD certainly needs to talk with them.

See, Danbus? There really is a rational world beyond the bounds of Norfolk!

shakul

imported post

All you need here to carry on a bus is a CPL (Concealed Pistol License) since any other form of carrying in a vehicle is against the law unless the firearm is in a stored container and without ammo.

Superlite27

imported post

I have never had a problem open carrying over the summer months. The occasional "Are you a cop?" question was few and far between.

Since the weather here is getting cooler, I began growing a beard about a month ago.

HUGE change in the people I encounter.

Two weeks ago I encountered a situation I still haven't mentally processed:

In the local Wal-Mart I have been frequently shopping in WHILE OPEN CARRYING for the past year, I noticed several male employees gather together at the cash register of the line I was in. They were purposefully discussing something, and repetitively glancing at me while not making eye contact. (Situational awareness is always a good thing). If one is a good "situational awareness" practitioner, there's judgement involved that includes an evaluation of the reality of "what is going on here?". Situational awareness doesn't just stop at where people are, it's holistic.

I think to myself "Here it comes".

I was right. When it came time for me to make my purchase, the store manager himself conveniently stepped in to relieve the cashier for her break. (I still can count five or six large male employees "lingering" nearby. Funny, there were never any "lingerers" when I have checked out the BILLION other times I've checked out at this store.)

As I check out, the manager casually askes, "Pardon me, sir. Are you a police officer?". Of course, I respond with, "No. I'm merely a legally armed citizen." To which he replied, "Well, it's against Wal-Mart policy to carry that in here.", pointing at the 1911 on my hip.

So I looked him in the eye and stated matter-of-factly, "You better double check with your superiors because I know for a fact that it is perfectly fine."

He then finished ringing me up, and remained polite. (As did I. No sense in getting grumpy and obnoxious.) I do try to put forward a good example as a gun carrier. Hopefully, everyone witnessing this now has the opinion that people who carry are calm AND knowledgeable.

Except for the beard. I'm convinced I would continue to have no problems if it wasn't for the beard. It kills all automatic assumptions that you are a cop.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Superlite27 wrote:
I have never had a problem open carrying over the summer months. The occasional "Are you a cop?" question was few and far between.

Since the weather here is getting cooler, I began growing a beard about a month ago.

HUGE change in the people I encounter.

Two weeks ago I encountered a situation I still haven't mentally processed:

In the local Wal-Mart I have been frequently shopping in WHILE OPEN CARRYING for the past year, I noticed several male employees gather together at the cash register of the line I was in. They were purposefully discussing something, and repetitively glancing at me while not making eye contact. (Situational awareness is always a good thing). If one is a good "situational awareness" practitioner, there's judgement involved that includes an evaluation of the reality of "what is going on here?". Situational awareness doesn't just stop at where people are, it's holistic.

I think to myself "Here it comes".

I was right. When it came time for me to make my purchase, the store manager himself conveniently stepped in to relieve the cashier for her break. (I still can count five or six large male employees "lingering" nearby. Funny, there were never any "lingerers" when I have checked out the BILLION other times I've checked out at this store.)

As I check out, the manager casually askes, "Pardon me, sir. Are you a police officer?". Of course, I respond with, "No. I'm merely a legally armed citizen." To which he replied, "Well, it's against Wal-Mart policy to carry that in here.", pointing at the 1911 on my hip.

So I looked him in the eye and stated matter-of-factly, "You better double check with your superiors because I know for a fact that it is perfectly fine."

He then finished ringing me up, and remained polite. (As did I. No sense in getting grumpy and obnoxious.) I do try to put forward a good example as a gun carrier. Hopefully, everyone witnessing this now has the opinion that people who carry are calm AND knowledgeable.

Except for the beard. I'm convinced I would continue to have no problems if it wasn't for the beard. It kills all automatic assumptions that you are a cop.
You stopped your story before the end.

What happened after that? Any follow up conversation? What was said?
Hard to think that he just remained silent and did not talk more with you.

Yata hey

tracylaud83

imported post

I just had an experience when entering wally-world. 4 young men (about 20 years old) sitting outside, I was wearing dress pants, new polo shirt, boots, fresh hair-cut, sunglasses, and blue-tooth. (CCW in smartcarry holster)

1 man stated "Excuse me sir, Pig?

I stopped, looked at him and gave him the nicest blank stare I could, and kept telling him that I didn't hear him, could he please repeat that, then I kept asking him if he was OK. Before I walked away, I even asked him if he had taken his med's today, and that he was always welcome to come down to my office and talk. I never answered yes or no.

His three friends were laughing so hard, one almost fell off the bench, and the one who had spoken was just staring at me with the dumbest look I've seen in many years.

I guess all those years in the Marines, and working in the prison system, has made me the Smart-*&% I am today.

unreconstructed1

imported post

luckily, this is one area where I have no experience. with Jeans, boots, wifebeaters for summer/ mostly confederate flag T-shirts and various motorcycle themed clothing for winter; and the almost full beard to nearly chest length goatee I normally keep ( had to cut it for a respirator fit test recently, but have since started re growing it) not to mention the tattoos all over my arms, hands, chest and back, i really don't think that there are many folks who will mistake me for a LEO any time soon.

TheMrMitch

imported post

This is funny....I have an opposite problem...sorta. I AM a cop....corrections officer....I DO have a badge. Part time...something interesting to do....at 66 years age....AND a Van Dike.

I carry open all summer everywhere I go....badge is NOT visible. I have been asked if I am a cop....I say nope and keep on going.:what:

Tomahawk

imported post

I'm with Longwatch on this. I don' like being mistaken for a cop. I don't want people to think I've got the authority to help them with their problems and I don't think it does the police any good, either. Unfortunately, being clean-shaven and short-haired and conservatively dressed means it's inevitable that it happens once in a while.

One time I stopped at the Burger King near Ft. Belvoir on Rt. 1 and the guy gave me a police discount. I was wearing clean jeans and a T-shirt and had just come from the gym. There was a Fairfax Co. cruiser parked out front, and the guy at the counter had a foreign accent. When I told him I wasn't a cop, he pointed out the window at the cruiser and said, "Oh, but I thought..." I told him I didn't want the discount, but he said he had already rung it up and it was easier to just forget about it.

CDAT

imported post

slowzx320 wrote:
I was in line waiting to order my food, He yelled out loud "HE HAS A GUN" in my mind i was like oh @#$%!!!!! then he asked me if i was a cop and i politely said no. I just looked to the floor until i ordered my food. But honestly no one seem to care.
Had some thing along this (the kid part), my national guard unit was doing some training in UT and we stopped at a gas stop to get some food, a little kid came up to us and ask if we would sign his GI Joe. So I signed it asGI Joe as the kid was so glad to see us thought to try and keep the spirit alive in that kid.