• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

event at the Capitol

rodbender

imported post

I've discussed this before, but it is time to push it hard. I need everyone to post it on the forums they visit about guns. Let's get this thing noticed and get it moving. Anyone that wants to come can be there.

Some have said they want to long gun carry. Not a good idea. Let's keep it simple and let's not take any chances of anything going wrong. If you long gun carry it means you will have to handle them a lot and that means ahigher chance of a mishap.

We can meet up at the frontsteps starting at 7:00-7:30 AM. Have your signs or tee shirts or whatever. We don't want to block access or harass anyone. However, we do need to get our point across.

Talk to your legislators and find out who will and will not support it and have list on signs. Let's let everyone know who wants law abiding citizens to be defenseless victims.

SA-TX

Centurion
imported post

rodbender wrote:
I've discussed this before, but it is time to push it hard. I need everyone to post it on the forums they visit about guns. Let's get this thing noticed and get it moving. Anyone that wants to come can be there.

Some have said they want to long gun carry. Not a good idea. Let's keep it simple and let's not take any chances of anything going wrong. If you long gun carry it means you will have to handle them a lot and that means ahigher chance of a mishap.

We can meet up at the frontsteps starting at 7:00-7:30 AM. Have your signs or tee shirts or whatever. We don't want to block access or harass anyone. However, we do need to get our point across.

Talk to your legislators and find out who will and will not support it and have list on signs. Let's let everyone know who wants law abiding citizens to be defenseless victims.

I'm a supporter of all events in Austin. I think our legistators need to know how we feel. I do think that I should mention2 things:

1) Getting together with candidates BEFORE the election can be very powerful and a way to get access later. Why not crank up the machine NOW?

2) I'm not sure but I seem to remember the first day of the session being pro-forma (nothing much happens). Will anyone be paying attention? Are you sure we'll have the coverage we want? Would later be better?

Whatever is decided, I intend to participate. This session is TOO IMPORTANT to waste. We havevery pro-CHL governor who will sign legislation removing many of the restrictions we now labor under and maybe even OC, if we lay the right groundwork. Let's make hay while we can.

SA-TX

rodbender

imported post

I ahead of you. I'm going to see Glenn Hegar (State Senator)Wednesday and trying to get back in touch with Tim Kleinschmidt. He's running for State Rep. Talked with him a while back and lost his #. Extremelygun friendly.

rodbender

imported post

I just now got off the phone with Mike Guzman of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus. He says that it looks like their legislation is going to pass nd wants to tell everyone to please let anyone know in your communications with legislators or press or anyone that we are NOT part of his organization. He is afraid that people will get confused and raise a ruckus thereby torpedoing his legislation. Everyone please, when we get to the Capitol make sure you are well marked that you are with OCDO, Txcdl.org or whoever. Let's not take a chance on shooting him down to further our cause. We can do this guys.

M

mdgary

imported post

Use plastic toy guns painted black!just a thought

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Maybe it's not a good idea carrying a toy gun:

"In the latest incident, which occurred Aug. 31 in Inglewood, Calif., cops shot Eddie Felix Franco 47 times, killing him, after he appeared to reach for what turned out to be a toy gun in his waistband, The Los Angeles Times reported."

47 times...:shock:

Whatever you do, be sure not to reach for your toy gun...

-- John D.

rodbender

imported post

I think no guns at all is better.

One more thing that Mike Guzman wanted to ask us to do that I forgot to include in the above post.

He asked us that if anyone asks, that we want CC only on campus. Opencarry everywhere but college campuses.I know, but it was a favor he asked and I said I would mention it. I think it is important to his legislation about CC on campus so please does as he asks.

SA-TX

Centurion
imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
Maybe it's not a good idea carrying a toy gun:

"In the latest incident, which occurred Aug. 31 in Inglewood, Calif., cops shot Eddie Felix Franco 47 times, killing him, after he appeared to reach for what turned out to be a toy gun in his waistband, The Los Angeles Times reported."

47 times...:shock:

Whatever you do, be sure not to reach for your toy gun...

-- John D.

Um, yeah. Reaching for anything when cops have drawn on you is asking for death. Hands in the air and then down on the ground happens for a reason. The real question is 47 hits out of how many rounds fired. ;)

Has anyone tallied up the dead in schools (too many to mention), churches (yeah, I know they aren't actually prohibited any more unless they post 30.06 but you always see them on the list), hospitals (see previous), government buildings (like Kirkwood City Hall, Ft. Worth a few years ago), etc. over the years since CHL passed in TX? We need these numbers. We need to be able to tell our legislators "here's how many defensless victims paid the ultimate price. How many more will it take?" I'm confident we are talking about several hundred. Perhaps more than 1,000.

As for how we are "accessorized" when we go to Austin, I'll go along with whatever plan is developed. Myfirst choicewould beopenly carrying my circa 1895 S&W .38 safety hammerless (see Penal Code 46.01and the definition of "firearm" for whyit is NOT a firearm, thus not handgun,and should be completely legal) but a nice long-sleeve tucked in polo shirt (with an OCDO logo?) with my Kahr PM9 or Springfield XD SC .40 in SmartCarry might win out. All right, OK, if I have to disarm I'll even do that. :p

SA-TX

X

XtremeDuty.45

imported post

I am all for it. Providing that I can escape my job here at Ft. Sam I will be there empty holster and all. I am new to Texas but I know and feel the importance of this next session. It could be a total 180 for our movement and it could be a real positive one IF and ONLY IF we conduct ourselves and our gatherings in the right manner. I have confidence in all of us that we can be professional and respectful and still get our voices heard.

:idea:Here is a thought. Open carry an empty holster AND a long gun. However with the long guns..if its a bolt action the bolt is removed. If its a semi auto or pump tie it like they do at the gun shows so that the 'lethal' actions cannot operate properly.:question: My reason for disarming the long guns is only due our proximity to the capitol and we are sure to be watched carefully enough and we dont need the media writing about 'armed snipers at texas capitol':banghead:. PLease feel free to scrutinize and offer other suggestions. By getting everyones idea we are sure to come up with a great gathering.

Proud member of: VFW, American Legion, AMVETS, KofC, NRA and North American Hunting Club.

WE MUST FIGHT FOR OUR RIGHTS!!!

rodbender

imported post

I really want "no guns at all" at this rally. Not even toy guns. I want no excuse for the media or the police to do or say anything detrimental to the cause.

NO GUNS AT ALL WILL GIVE THEM NO EXCUSES

X

XtremeDuty.45

imported post

RGR THAT. Makes enough sense. TOO EASY.

Proud member of: VFW, American Legion, AMVETS, KofC, NRA and North American Hunting Club.

CrossFire

imported post

Another reason to make sure no guns are at the rally would be the posiblity of some moon bat actually using the event as cover for him doing a real shooting. That would never be lived down and we could forget about open carry.

rodbender

imported post

CrossFire wrote:
Another reason to make sure no guns are at the rally would be the posiblity of some moon bat actually using the event as cover for him doing a real shooting. That would never be lived down and we could forget about open carry.
Yep, Probably forever.

X

XtremeDuty.45

imported post

VERY good point!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

rodbender wrote:

Guys - the "empty holster" is the trademark of the "students for concealed carry" effort.

it is not a good idea to mix meesages - you are advertizing for somebody wewlse if you do this.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Another thought.... I understand that you don't want ANY guns at this event, and many TOY guns look amazingly REAL. Many many stories of people getting shot over toy guns exemplifies this fact!
But what about 'training' guns. These are typically blue or red, completely! They are the same shape and design and thus fit perfectly into our holsters, but they are quite obviously NOT REAL!
This is just a thought trying to get the wheels turning....
Gator
>|--|~

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Gator5713 wrote:
Another thought.... I understand that you don't want ANY guns at this event, and many TOY guns look amazingly REAL. Many many stories of people getting shot over toy guns exemplifies this fact!
But what about 'training' guns. These are typically blue or red, completely! They are the same shape and design and thus fit perfectly into our holsters, but they are quite obviously NOT REAL!
This is just a thought trying to get the wheels turning....
Gator
>|--|~
Those training guns aren't cheap, you can get a toy and spray it Bright orange or Chartruse (sp?) but I agree w/ RB, no guns is the wise policy. Mike also brings up a good point about the Campus empty holster trademark. Perhaps it would be best to just show up with signs or something. I won't be able to be there I don't think though, but I'm trying to convince some friends to show up.

rodbender

imported post

Well, I talked with Mike Guzman at SCCC and he said it was OK to use it. He just wanted to make sure that if anyone makes any statements that we DO NOT support OC on campus. CC only on campuses. I have been thinking that it may be very confusing. I have been toying with the idea of toy guns that are no doubt toy guns, but then someonecould paint a real gun to sabotage our agenda. I have also been thinking about no holsters, just signs and tee shirts. Let's try to come up with something different or original. Help me here guys. Maybe tee shirts with a gun crossed out in the red circle kind of thing. But then if it's cold, well you know.

nking

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Quick Question. When is this event scheduled to happen? I was thinking about making it out there but i need to plan and save. Austin is a long haul from my house for sure and we all know gas isnt cheap anymore lol. 6 hr drive for me.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Good question! I'm only about an hour and a half or so from there and could possibly make it, but I don't know when it is either!