• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

event at the Capitol

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

rodbender wrote:
Well, I talked with Mike Guzman at SCCC and he said it was OK to use it. He just wanted to make sure that if anyone makes any statements that we DO NOT support OC on campus. CC only on campuses. I have been thinking that it may be very confusing.
Right - confusing is the issue.

And what's with Guzman telling us to say we do not want OC on campus - horse hockey.

And does Guzman understand that restoring OC rights would vastly increase college students right to carry generally across Texas at age 18 and higher?

rodbender

imported post

Gator5713 wrote:
Good question! I'm only about an hour and a half or so from there and could possibly make it, but I don't know when it is either!
Sorry, I didn't give a date. It will be on the first day the legislature convenes. There is not much going on the first day so maybe they'll take notice that we are there. January 13, 2009 7:30 AM

rodbender

imported post

Mike wrote:
rodbender wrote:
Well, I talked with Mike Guzman at SCCC and he said it was OK to use it. He just wanted to make sure that if anyone makes any statements that we DO NOT support OC on campus. CC only on campuses. I have been thinking that it may be very confusing.

And what's with Guzman telling us to say we do not want OC on campus - horse hockey.

And does Guzman understand that restoring OC rights would vastly increase college students right to carry generally across Texas at age 18 and higher?
He doesn't want to spoil his chances for his bill passing. So he asked if anyone would just say that we want CC on campuses and OC anywhere else. I think it is a good plan.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

rodbender wrote:
Mike wrote:
rodbender wrote:

He doesn't want to spoil his chances for his bill passing. So he asked if anyone would just say that we want CC on campuses and OC anywhere else. I think it is a good plan.
We are concerned with restoring open carry rights generally, and should never be saying "Oh, but not at colleges, no no no!" This weakens areentire argument.

On the other hand, we are NOT proposing a bill to change Texas off limits areas - as they say in some legislatures - "Git yer own bill!"

Our position must remain solid and simple - restore open carry rights generally. And somebody else can try to change what unique areas remain off limits to gun carry in Texas.

Guzman's purported view concerns me - would he rather keep most students banned from carrying guns generally in Texas in order to allow those very few over 21 with conceal permits to carry on a few college campuses? That's putting the peperoni ahead of the pizza!

nking

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I wanta say baby steps before we run, but this could be considered running too haha but i believe we need to worry about gettin OC first and let CC on campus worry about that, one step at atime here. lets get OC back in TEXAS FIRST and then work on something else. Lets pick and choose our battles here and fight 1 at a time, like when David went out to meet Goliath in the Bible it only took 1 stone to kill him but if you remember he took5 stones into battle.

rodbender

imported post

nking wrote:
like when David went out to meet Goliath in the Bible it only took 1 stone to kill him but if you remember he took5 stones into battle.

That was because Goliath had 4 brothers IIRC

After reflection on your last post Mike, you are right. They have their battles and we have ours.

Edit: Maybe we should just refer them to SCCC for any answers they maywant about that.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

rodbender wrote:
nking wrote:
like when David went out to meet Goliath in the Bible it only took 1 stone to kill him but if you remember he took5 stones into battle.

That was because Goliath had 4 brothers IIRC

After reflection on your last post Mike, you are right. They have their battles and we have ours.

Edit: Maybe we should just refer them to SCCC for any answers they maywant about that.
"Although we support SCCC in general and feel that we have their support, we are i no way directly affiliated and any questions that you have concerning their cause should be directed to them."

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Yeah, I think we are thinking in the same direction - our issue is open carry generally, and we are not spearheading the effort to roll back any of the many TX off limits areas - those are a separate fact specific questions for experts on those issues and the legislature can tackle them on their own.

GumiBear

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hey Rodbender?
Any more news on this event? Is it still on? Decide on empty holster? Maybe a mag pouch or two would be better than an empty holster etc., no law against carrying mags as far as I know. I'd like to keep thistopic toward the top because time is getting short. We have the event on Jan 5th, and now we have a great brochure to give out during the Capitol event.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum51/18862-3.html

rodbender

imported post

Yes, as far as I know. I was thinking to remind everyone just after Christmas and keep reminding them until the event on Jan. 13th.

SilentKTexan

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I will be there. I will also be wearing this open carry shirt that says very plainly what we want and why we are there...

www.cafepress.com/sandbarcreation

So far my family members have been the only ones buying the shirts I designed. Do people not like the design?

I'll be wearing my empty holster. It will be a 4 hour drive for me but well worth it.

rodbender

imported post

SilentKTexan wrote:
I will be there. I will also be wearing this open carry shirt that says very plainly what we want and why we are there...

http://www.cafepress.com/sandbarcreation

So far my family members have been the only ones buying the shirts I designed. Do people not like the design?

I'll be wearing my empty holster. It will be a 4 hour drive for me but well worth it.
We are going to skip the empty holster stuff. Just be there with your shirt or sign. Let's leave the empty holster thing to Students for Concealed Carry on Campus guys.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Gator5713 wrote:
Another thought.... I understand that you don't want ANY guns at this event, and many TOY guns look amazingly REAL. Many many stories of people getting shot over toy guns exemplifies this fact!
But what about 'training' guns. These are typically blue or red, completely! They are the same shape and design and thus fit perfectly into our holsters, but they are quite obviously NOT REAL!
This is just a thought trying to get the wheels turning....
Gator
>|--|~
No guns period, it's just NOT a good idea.

SilentKTexan

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Yeah fake guns or not...It's just a bad idea.

I can hear it now...

"Look at these crazy people, they can't follow the law now, what are they gonna do if they can open carry? Demand discounts or else!?!?!"

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Mike wrote:
rodbender wrote:
Mike wrote:
rodbender wrote:

We are concerned with restoring open carry rights generally, and should never be saying "Oh, but not at colleges, no no no!" This weakens areentire argument.

On the other hand, we are NOT proposing a bill to change Texas off limits areas - as they say in some legislatures - "Git yer own bill!"

Our position must remain solid and simple - restore open carry rights generally. And somebody else can try to change what unique areas remain off limits to gun carry in Texas.

Guzman's purported view concerns me - would he rather keep most students banned from carrying guns generally in Texas in order to allow those very few over 21 with conceal permits to carry on a few college campuses? That's putting the peperoni ahead of the pizza!
+1 We're not going to ask for no open carry rights in certain areas just because Students for Concealed Carry don't want us to.

USAF_firerescue

imported post

I just read through the whole thing, and am very confused!!

Most of the posts say EMPTY HOLSTER...

a few say NO HOLSTER, T-shirts and signs instead

Which one please, I live in New Braunfels, will happily drive to Austin if I am not doing my other American duties. (and yes I do have American Duties... I am Active Duty military)

rodbender

imported post

USAF_firerescue wrote:
I just read through the whole thing, and am very confused!!

Most of the posts say EMPTY HOLSTER...

a few say NO HOLSTER, T-shirts and signs instead

Which one please, I live in New Braunfels, will happily drive to Austin if I am not doing my other American duties. (and yes I do have American Duties... I am Active Duty military)

I initiated this as an empty holster event, but have been convinced that we should leave that with SCCC, so it is no holsters and no guns, at all. We will have t-shirts, caps and/or signs.

If you have a CC holster and can keep it concealed, OK. I don't want any visible sign of a gun or gun equipment.

I will post a set of rules shortly and if you can abide by them you will be welcomed, if not you will be asked by me to leave and we disavow any knowledge of your actions. This post will self destruct in 5 seconds.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

If we conceal carry to the event, we should be okay legally as long as we don't go inside the actual capital building right?

**Edit** I looked up the CHL law and I didn't see anything about a state facility being off-limits.

rodbender

imported post

Ianmtx wrote:
If we conceal carry to the event, we should be okay legally as long as we don't go inside the actual capital building right?

**Edit** I looked up the CHL law and I didn't see anything about a state facility being off-limits.
I know, but I really would not rather have any around. It's not that I don't trust anybody, but accidents do happen and that would be a tragedy for the cause.Besides, we are suppose to be defenseless. I'll be leaving mine in the pickup. And what if someone invites us inside to talk?

X

XtremeDuty.45

imported post

ok so you want us to disarm andtemporarily give upour second amendment right so that wepetition to the statehow much we belive in and want to restore the second amendment? sounds kind of counter productive to me!

If we have a license it is our right to carry a concealed weapon.You dont want us to carry cause an accident might happen? Or we can carry like the most of us do every day and be responsiblelike we all are everyday and show them that we arecivil persons even though we have guns...and if it is truly concealed like it should be no one will know anyway!

To give up our right so that we can fight to restore it just doesnt make sense!