• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Meet anti-gun person

impulse

imported post

So hung out with my friend tonight to play some pool. ( I'm not carrying seeing I'm drinking, and at a bar, which is big no no in AZ). So we left and are at my place and start talking about guns. To keep the story short he says that, "why do you carry a gun?". I said "to protect myself, friends, and loved ones" He replied "Why? We live in a safe area". I said "Yes that is true, but crime happens every where." He kept pushing and he said " A visible firearm promotes violence. I said "what?!?!" He said "yes, their is a great likelihood, that the BG will pull your firearm, if it's visible" I said "NO sir!" We got into a huge argument over a vast amount of arguments; from store employees noticing my firearm, to LEO's. Basically what it came down too, is that I said " Every legal citizen, that is legally to carry open, or with a CCW in the state of Arizona, has every right too!" He kept pushing differen't scenarios , of which I mostly shot down.

He kept asking mostly why I opened carried. I said " It's because it, detures criminals, faster to draw, and if people notice, and ask questions; I can educate them. After I said the last part he was almost stunned! I said yes, I open carry, to hope people ask questions! I love to recieve questions to inform the public, and at the same time send some business to my range!

This gentlemen is from washington,which is mostly gun friendly. But had a diffrerent opinion, which I don't think is "dumb" or "stupid". I love oponions on these subjects, regarless how stubbard you are, some people will bring a new subject up. Which isn't bad!

compmanio365

imported post

This person from Washington should check out the WA forum and come to the next lunch meet here.....he would learn a lot and figure out his preconceptions of OC are way off base......

Deanimator

imported post

You might want to ask him if the doctor in Connecticut whose entire family was slaughtered by two animals lived in a "safe" neighborhood. From the news reports, it didn't exactly look like they were living in the projects. Ask him what's a better score for a couple of violent predators, a poor neighborhood with people acclimated to a culture of violence, or a rich neighborhood where people are conditioned by their culture to be passive victims of crime.

hsmith

imported post

I generally can't stand "anti's" and just don't even talk about firearms with them - because you can't change their opinion. They won't convince you that carrying is foolhardy - you aren't going to convince them of their position otherwise.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

hsmith wrote:
I generally can't stand "anti's" and just don't even talk about firearms with them - because you can't change their opinion. They won't convince you that carrying is foolhardy - you aren't going to convince them of their position otherwise.
Same here. When I realize it's gonna be one of those conversations, I usually just smile and say "well anyway..." and get on another subject. Every time I have tried to have one of those conversations, the person either gets angry and irrational, or ends the conversation with "well I guess you're right, but I still think guns are bad"...:?. Ya know, 'cause that makes sense.

G

Gentleman Ranker

imported post

I agree that it's not always worth the time or effort to engage antis, nor does one always have the energy.

Still, the article Raging Against Self-Defense by psychiatrist Sarah Thompson, might offer some useful insights into the anti mindset. Just a thought.

regards,

GR

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I've often wondered... if the thought: "So 'n so was right..." enters their minds just before they get raped/robbed/murdered? The world is not a nice place everywhere... nor is it inhabited with nice people overall.

We have smoke alarms, fire bottles, tire jacks, insurance of all sorts for 'what if' scenarios. We have a pre-existing right to self defense...which the Constitution recognizes and declares in 2A.

Note...: 'recognizes and declares'... not'allowed and/or granted'. If y'all went to gummint schools... the latter was what was 'taught'. Prob'ly still is.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

impulse418 wrote:
He kept asking mostly why I opened carried. I said " It's because it, detures criminals, faster to draw, and if people notice, and ask questions; I can educate them.
I have been told that responding, "So p&ssies like you know who to hide behind when SHTF" is not a helpful response.

:shock:

*No I didn't really respond that way to a member of the public but only to a new friend in an environment where it was clear I was joking*

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I carry a gun 'cause "the Sherrif's too heavy' has been my usual response. I'm not into 'educating' these sheep. 'Used to be I s'pose... but not so much anymore. Sheep are sheep... 'cause they're ... 'sheep'. They like bein' sheep. They don't want'a be anything else.

David.Car

imported post

Washington might be generally pro 2a... But we also have Seattle... You know... Starbucks loving (like unnatural love), liberal, artist, hippy capital of the US...

cREbralFIX

imported post

How about:

"I have to carry because craven little bitches like yourself have neglected your duty to assist society in stopping crime. Now criminals are accustomed to striking without consequences."

Then, if they come back with "Police officers protect us!" I inform them that the police have no duty to protect and cite the court case in my state that says so.

If they whine about "vigilantism" then I explain that vigilantes avenge crimes...the vigilante dispenses punishment. A person who stops a crime or takes someone before a police officer or magistrate is presenting the criminal to the system. The person is NOT taking the law into their own hands; they are giving the system the opportunity to dispense justice.

But, normally, I don't have much patience with them and just change the subject.

Slayer of Paper

imported post

I tell you, these gungrabbers are sending out subconscious messages, or something.

I was with my wife the other day. I dropped her off to spend the day with her sister at Jared in Phoenix, and I noticed their anti-gun policy sign, and it got me to thinking: "well, I don't agree with it, so I won't shop there, but it IS a jewelry store, with probably millions of dollars worth of cash and merchandise and--- WTF am I thinking????" Before I could stop myself, I had started to fall for the gungrabbers' slogans.

If a criminal has decided to rob that jewelry store, he's not going to be worried about a trespassing charge for carrying into a store that's posted! Hell, chances are pretty darn good that he already has a felony record, which means he can't legally posses a gun, anyway!

I don't usually go for those conspiracy theories, but maybe I should get a tin foil hat to keep Sarah Brady out my head....