• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ways to educate public on OC

ca2az96

imported post

This thread could apply to anywhere in Arizona, however I live in Flagstaff, and am especially interested in any responses from "Up here". Can anyone brainstorm any effective ways to educate the general public on OC'ing, and why it is not a 'bad thing' to do, as the media would have us believe? Obviously, we should always OC when we go out. Other than that, perhaps a 'meet and greet' in a public park, or other venue, inviting the local media? Any thoughts???

AZkopper

imported post

1. Open Carry yourself. The mere fact that you are doing it is a one man education campaign.

2. Write letters to the local paper (editorial replies) espousing the right and duty to open carry. Well written letters, that are concise and not overly long have a good chance to be published in smaller areas (I've been printed twice here in Prescott--out of three letters).

3. Find like minded friends to 'hang out' in legal OC areas. Here in Prescott, You see OCers fairly often in the downtown/Whiskey Row area, especially during craft fairs.

Alec411

imported post

I can't endorse the idea of ONLY open carry. OC is merely a mode of carry. Many do both, OC/CC, others only CC. It's just a personal choice, given a set of circumstances! IT IS NOT ONE VERSUS THE OTHER, AND THAT IS THE AMMO WE ARE GIVING THE ANTIS. They will use it and begin screaming that there is a division in the pro-gun groups. TRUST ME, WE WILL SEE NEGATIVE P.R. in the not to distant future.

Grandma used to say, "you catch more bees with honey, than with vinegar"!

AZkopper

imported post

Alec411 wrote:
AZKOPPER: I usually tend to agree with you, but why is OC a "duty"? A right, yes!
Duty may be a poor choice of wording, or at least it should have been expanded on. The OP stated he that basically he wanted to influence public opinion. Here is what I was thinking when I typed it:

While OC and CC are both perfectly acceptable (I do both, depending on the situation), the at-large social view of promoting of CC over OC creates an atmosphere of making the concept of carrying in general somehow taboo, 'dirty', or not socially acceptable (out of sight, out of mind).

I will say that since I believe most of us on these boards are OCers, we are on the vanguard of this issue, affecting (deliberately or inadvertantly) social perceptions and norms. I would like to see society-at-large alter its perceptions so that those of us who choose to OC are not viewed differently than those who CC (or those who choose not to C at all). For that to happen requires that at least a substantial minority of gun carriers OC.

Thanks for catching me on that, sometimes my fingers are faster thanmy mind, and I cram too much info in to too little keystrokes.

Michigander

imported post

AZkopper wrote:
I would like to see society-at-large alter its perceptions so that those of us who choose to OC are not viewed differently than those who CC (or those who choose not to C at all). For that to happen requires that at least a substantial minority of gun carriers OC..
I've certainly seen a lot of OC in Arizona, at least 2 or 3 times a week compared to never unless during hunting season elsewhere. But it's the rest of the country I'm worried about. Society at large needs to not just accept OC, but accept guns in general. I firmly believe that the OC movement is one of the best hopes the second amendment has for survival. It's visible proof to everyone around you that gun owners good people who are harmless unless attacked.

As I said, I'm not so worried about AZ, but for ideas on gathering attention, I'd suggest looking into the Michigan forum. They have got a really remarkable amount of press coverage and new members.

madcapmag

imported post

Do we have a sheet of paper or little card that condenses the rules, rights, andregulations as far as open carry goes like the WA state portion does? I'd be all up for creating this so if questions are asked, we don't have to educate them from memory, but state actual facts.

Alec411

imported post

AZKOPPER: Thanks for clearing up my question regarding OC/Right! Just by Openly Carrying, we are openning a door to public Ed., it does prompt questions. Our responses should always be well thought out, our response to a question may take time to answer, please take the time. Be upbeat, honest, and respectful. We all need to remember that "we" are the visible ones, what do we project?

ca2az96

imported post

I completely agree with the responses I have received here. I do agree that OC/CC is a personal choice, however I do believe that OC does promote out cause more visibly and effectively, but I do respect the choice one does choose to make in that matter. In examining my own question further, I would only add that we should organize more 'Get-Together's', and invite the local media. This seems to be an effective tool to get our message out. I am up for one anywhere in Northern Arizona. I know there has been some talk about one in Camp Verde. Flagstaff would be a great option this time of year as well. The weather is near perfect, and there are a few public parks we could rent out. Any thoughts?

Michigander

imported post

I think the biggest problem is the laid back attitude of the south west. In Michigan things get done promptly, and Michiganians are every bit as hyped up about guns as anyone, so they are making remarkable headway. We've got to get geeked up and eager if we want to get a lot done.

Alec411

imported post

MICHIGANDER:

I am an American by birth. I am a YOOPER, by the grace of God! I agree with you that the south west may, once-in-awhile, be victim to it's own laid back lifestyle.

I spent most of my life in MI, particularlily the U.P. Anyone attempting to "take" any one of their rights is in for a gunfight. When they feel threatened, as they do now on our common issues, they just can't sit and "let John do it"!

Alec411

Phx AZ

Alec411

imported post

Now I must defend us Zonies. If we seem complacent about our gun issues, it is because we are totally used to having our gun rights. It is one of those unspoken things. When the data is published about the prevalence of guns in AZ you can see why few feel that the gov't is capable of taking our guns. I don't have the data at my fingertips right now, but a HUGE majority of the cars on the streets here contain one or more firearm. Every person I know, and I mean that quite literally, carries and most don't have CC permits. WHY? Cause free men don't ask permission. The attitude of the average street cop, I believe, is if you aren't breaking some other law they look the other way on concealment without permit.

In AZ we don't feel the same pressure, others may feel.

Alec411

a UP Original