• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need dates when OC was outlawed in the 6 states.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Venator wrote:
I could use the dates that OC was outlawed in Tex, OK, FL, Ark, NY, SC. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian Jeffs
As I understand it, OC of firearms never was generallyillegal in TX. Only OC of handguns.

like_the_roman

imported post

With the Southern states, open carry of handguns was generally legal until "Reconstruction" when many of the states banned it (or were forced to by the federal government.) New York was open-carry until 1911 when the Democratic Party there passed the Sullivan Act.

hirundo82

imported post

We've discussed this before for Texas.

http://www.guncite.com/court/state/42tx455.html

The first and second Sections of the "Act to regulate the keeping and bearing of deadly weapons," passed April 11, 1871, are as follows:

"Any person carrying on or about his person, saddle, or in his saddle-bags, any pistol, dirk, dagger, slung-shot, sword-cane, spear, brass knuckles, bowie knife, or any other kind of knife, manufactured or sold, for the purpose of offense or defense, unless he has reasonable grounds for fearing an unlawful attack on his person, and that such ground of attack shall be immediate and pressing; or unless having or carrying the same on or about his person for the lawful defense of the State, as a militiaman in actual service, or as a peace officer or policeman, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and on conviction thereof, shall, for the first offense, be punished by fine of not less than twenty-five nor more than one hundred dollars, and shall forfeit to the county the weapon or weapons so found on or about his person; and for every subsequent offense may, in addition to such fine and forfeiture, be imprisoned in the county jail for a term not exceeding sixty days; and in every case of fine under this section, the fines imposed and collected shall go into the treasury of the county in which they may have been imposed: Provided, That this section shall not be so construed as to prohibit any person from keeping or having arms on his or her own premises, or at his or her own place of business, nor to prohibit sheriffs or other (p.457)revenue officers, and other civil officers, from keeping or having arms, while engaged in the discharge of their official duties, nor to prohibit persons traveling in the State from keeping or carrying arms with their baggage: Provided further, that members of the Legislature shall not be included under the term civil officers, as used in this Act."

"Section 2. Any person charged under the first Section of this Act, who may offer to prove by way of defense, that he was in danger of an attack on his person, or unlawful interference with his property, shall be required to show that such danger was immediate and pressing, and was of such a nature as to alarm a person of ordinary courage; and that the arms so carried were borne openly, and not concealed beneath the clothing; and if it shall appear that this danger had its origin in a difficulty first commenced by the accused, it shall not be considered a legal defense."​

XD40coyote

imported post

MD may be listed as an OC state, but firstly you have to have a carry lisc which only the special people can get, and 2nd, even if you are special enough to get the lisc, the SP don't like the permit holders to OC and may revoke your carry lisc for doing so, so its a no-win situation, and MD might as well be classed with the other non OC states.

I had read that MD outlawed unlisc OC in 1972, and I was wondering if it had anything to do with the Black Panthers, like whatI read about happened in CA. The BP were OCing loaded guns and it scared thelawmakers. There was a branch of BP in MD, and I am wondering if they did the same, and the rascist MD just had to squash it completely, lest too many black people OC and scare the KKK or something. MD had Jim Crow laws until the civil rights act made it illegal. ( not saying the PB were saints , but their act of OCing could have encouraged more saintly blacks to do so as well)