• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to Iowa

Tucker6900

imported post

Possibly in the near future. However I am not getting a clear picture on the OC and CC situation is Iowa. Can someone please clarify for me the laws/rules surrounding carrying a firearm in Iowa? I appreciate the help. Thanks!

Burddog

imported post

Before you move to Iowa you need to check on the specific county you will be living in. If you have any leeway at all you should go for a permit friendly county.
In Iowa, each Sheriff has different criteria and procedures on permits to carry. Some are just awful and others are great. For a lot of information on the struggle in Iowa to get a fair law written, go to:

www.iowacarry.org

I am involved with that group as a board member and lobbyist.
Let me know on this board or PM me with the county you are considering and I can give you basic info right here.

For now:

Open carry-No, unless you are out in the woods
Concealed carry-only with a valid permit and within the parameters set by the issuing Sheriff, if any.

Burddog
Burddog@iowacarry.org
burddog7@netins.net

Tucker6900

imported post

Thanks burrdog,

I think Ill be moving to Iowa City, but it is unclear at this time as to whether or not it will be permanent.

Burddog

imported post

I am sorry to hear that you are moving to Johnson County. You will most likely have no chance of getting a permit to carry in that county.
If you could live in Cedar County which is just east of Johnson, then you would be OK. The Sheriff there is one of the Good Guys.

Roger B.
burddog7@netins.net
www.iowacarry.org

Tucker6900

imported post

Anyone got the skinny on Kelona? I will be looking at a house to rent there for the time being. I am curious as to population, crime, things of that nature. Anyone with anything is appreciated.

Burddog

imported post

Kalona is a small town in Johnson County. Here is a link to the Chamber of Commerce web site. It will tell you a lot about the area.

http://www.kalonachamber.com/

It is in Johnson Co. so you will be out of luck for a permit to carry as far as I know.
Try Cedar County to the east of Iowa City. The Cedar County Sheriff is one of the Good Guys. He will issue you a permit if you have a clean record and pass the carry course.
Please, do not move to Johnson County.

Burddog
burddog7@netins.net
515-669-4365

Tucker6900

imported post

Well, here I am. For tonight Ill be staying at the Pull'R Inn Motel in Kalona.

Actually, Kalona is in Washington County. And it appears that its one of the dreaded "RED" counties. I will be looking in Iowa County, if anyone knows ofany houses to rent. Im looking for at least 3 bedrooms, basement(finished or not) bath and a half (1 bath would do fine), and garage(preferrably attached).

Unfortunatley, my job requires me to be located in the central SE Iowa Region, as I will be working the entire area. Im hoping to only have to live in this area for a short period of time, as my job location may eventually change.

Ill give you a call tomorrowso I can formally introduce myself.

Man, lots of corn!!

Burddog

imported post

I goofed on the county. Could have sworn it was in Johnson. Oh well.
Welcome to Iowa. Yes, lots of corn.

I will be traveling to an Iowa Carry general meeting near Central City in eastern Iowa on Saturday with the president of IC and the CEO. Looking forward to your call.

Burddog
Roger Burdette
515-669-4365

Superman

imported post

I'll be moving to Coralville roughly may of 2009. Good place to be for obtaining a CC permit? Also what about victor about 45 minutes west of Coralville. Thanks

Tucker6900

imported post

Earthsmight wrote:
I'll be moving to Coralville roughly may of 2009. Good place to be for obtaining a CC permit? Also what about victor about 45 minutes west of Coralville. Thanks
Coralville is in Johnson County....and last I heard Johnson County is a "Red" County..Which means level of difficulty is high.

Burddog

imported post

That is correct. Sheriff Pulkrabek issues very few permits. An applicant must have very special circumstances to get one in Johnson County.

Now Victor is in Iowa County which we list as a GREEN county would be a much better choice based on the permit to carry availability.

Here is a link to info on Victor, Iowa.

http://iowa.hometownlocator.com/ia/iowa/victor.cfm

You might also consider Cedar County which is just east of Johnson Co. I know the Sheriff there and he issues permits fairly. You would be OK there too.

Roger B.
www.iowacarry.org

Superman

imported post

Alright, thanks...What makes them not want to distribute permits? Just they are complete morons and not want people to carry in their county?:cuss: Well thanks for the information.

Burddog

imported post

The permit law in Iowa is written in such a way as to give the Sheriff total discretion on permit issue. It is called, "May issue".
Some Sheriffs issue very fairly and others issue hardly at all. Some put strange restrictions on the permits.
One famous one is still common in Mahaska Co. It reads,
"Not valid in incorporated city. Not valid in motor vehicle."
This makes the permit useless but the Sheriff does it anyway. But he does issue unrestricted permits to a select few.

This is how it is in Iowa. Iowa Carry is pushing for "Shall Issue" but the Sheriffs association is very much against that. They have been prevailing in the legislature for several years.

Welcome to Iowa.

Roger Burdette
www.iowacarry.org

Superman

imported post

So, that's only to carry right? They are more open to issuing a permit to purchase right?

Tucker6900

imported post

I was told today that there is no "Firearm Registration" in Iowa. Is that right? I have a few firearms and need to know for sure. Thanks fellas.

jimd144

imported post

Make sure to visit the Amana Colonies for great eats.

You can't carry a gun in Iowa, but there is good food!