• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OFCC To Hold Open Carry Walk in Northwood, OH on Sat Sept 20

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

I don't normally support "open carry marches" as they are not usually necessary or helpful, but an exception exists to every rule - so thei WALK" sounds like a great idea to bring on publicity to this inadequate police leadership response to the bullying like behavior of a couple rogue officers, see below.

Key talking points if you make it to the walk and get interviewed or talk to anyone:

1. Ohio is just like most states - adults 18 and over can open carry holstered handguns without any license, at least on foot.

2. As a constitutional matter, discussed extensively in the Heller opinon, open carry is the right, and concealed carry is trhe privilege which may be banned or strictly regulated.

--

http://www.ohioccw.org/content/view/4054/67

[align=left]Contact: Daniel White FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE [/align]

[align=left]Tel: 440-258-7003 [/align]

[align=left]Toll free: 888-888-2559 Ext. 7 [/align]

[align=left]Email: dwhite@OhioCCW.org [/align]

[align=center]OHIOANS FOR CONCEALED CARRY TO HOLD OPEN CARRY WALK IN NORTHWOOD, OHIO [/align]

[align=center]Plan To Protest Poor Treatment Of Member By Northwood Police [/align]

[align=left]Ohioans For Concealed Carry will be encouraging local members to visit Central Park in Northwood, Ohio on Saturday, September 20[suP]th, 2008 at 12:00 noon in protest of the poor treatment of an OFCC member by the Northwood Police Department. [/align]

[align=left]On Saturday, July 5th, 2008, OFCC member Edwin Farbrother took his eighteen-year-old daughter out for ice cream on her birthday to Netty’s Ice Cream Shop while legally openly carrying a firearm for personal protection. Northwood Police Chief Thomas Cairl was at the shop while off duty and called his officers to the scene. [/align]

[align=left]After arriving, officers began berating Farbrother for openly carrying a gun where children were present. They told Farbrother he was breaking the law by carrying his firearm openly. One officer insisted that if they were responding to a burglar alarm and saw Farbrother carrying a firearm that he would be the first one they would "take down," and that he risked getting "popped". They then informed him that they were letting him go, but if he did it again he would be arrested and they would let the judge sort out who was right and who was wrong. During the course of the incident, Farbrother’s drivers license was broken by one of the officers. [/align]

[align=left]Immediately following this incident, OFCC contacted the Northwood police department and spoke with the police chief and law director. A complaint was filed and investigated. The findings of the Internal Affairs investigation was that "no officer misconduct occurred". The broken drivers license was claimed to be the result of faulty laminating. [/align]

[align=left]There is no prohibition against law-abiding citizens openly carrying a firearm for personal protection in the State of Ohio. In fact, at the request of Ohioans For Concealed Carry and other law enforcement agencies who have made similar mistakes, the Ohio Attorney General’s Office has begun publicizing the fact that openly carrying a firearm in Ohio is not an illegal act and is working that information into its statewide training programs and printed materials. [/align]

[align=left]Chief Cairl claims he did not know that open carry is legal. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. No citizen deserves to be berated by the police for participating in a legal activity. OFCC disagrees with the findings of the investigation that no officer misconduct occurred and believes that Farbrother is owed an apology by the Northwood Police Department. [/align]

[align=left]Members will meet at Central Park, adjacent to city hall, and conduct an open carry walk past the municipal complex containing city hall and the police department to reinforce the fact that open carry is a legal activity in the state of Ohio and to encourage the Northwood Police Department to issue an apology to Mr. Farbrother. [/align]

[align=center]# # # [/align]
For more information about this topic, please visit http://www.OhioCCW.org
[/suP]

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Mike wrote:
... Ohio is just like most states - adults 18 and over can open carry holstered handguns without any license, at least on foot...
While the act of walking about OCing by an 18-21 year old may be legal, every way which an 18-21 year old might obtain a handgun is illegal.

Although my reading ofat Buckeye Firearms Association make it illegal for the person giving/procuring/etc. the handgun, not the person carrying it, my understanding is that as an 18-21 year old better have more cash lined up than a 21 or over individual doing the same.

Essentially, there is no legal way for an 18-21 year old to obtain a handgun, and the rest follows.

I cannot find the article on BFA's website, and OFCC still disallows mention of BFA on their forums for me to seek out someone who may have a link.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

BB62 wrote:
While the act of walking about OCing by an 18-21 year old may be legal, every way which an 18-21 year old might obtain a handgun is illegal.
18-21 year olds do own guns in most states and can move into Ohio with their handguns.

Regardless, as you explained in your post, an 18-21 year old in Ohio who is a transforee of a handgun breaks no law. This is similar to many gun control laws where the transforee in an unlawful transfer breaks no law and the unlawful ness of the transfor does not void title.

Mack 12ga.

imported post

[suP]

[align=left]Members will meet at Central Park, adjacent to city hall, and conduct an open carry walk past the municipal complex containing city hall and the police department to reinforce the fact that open carry is a legal activity in the state of Ohio and to encourage the Northwood Police Department to issue an apology to Mr. Farbrother. [/align]

[align=center]# # # [/align]
For more information about this topic, please visit http://www.OhioCCW.org
[/suP]

I see the local LEO's standing across the street puffing out there chests and trying to look intimidating and prying that they can call S.W.AT and tern a peacefull demonstration into a blood bath just so they can walk around a say, SEE WE TOLD YOU,ONLY WE SHOULD BE ARMED.

I also see them fuming with anger after they realize that there isn't anything they can do, except cry. more power to you all , wish I could afford to take off work and help support you on the line. :cool:

SlackwareRobert

imported post

What about the threat to shoot you down without even identifying themselves as
police officers. Last I checked ordering an ice cream cone is not a
deadly threat, even if a burgular alarm is going off.
Since you are not going to draw on people haphazardly, the only way to interpret
the threat to shoot you, is a death threat plain and simple.
Change your name to Obama, and call the SS on them.:what:

This just goes to show you need 24/7 audio recording for self defence as well.
Even if you can't use it as evidence, you can always use it to disprove
lies by said leo

DanM

imported post

mvpel wrote:
There's few things more dangerous than a pissed-off cop who doesn't understand the law.

I can think of something more dangerous than that.

Pissed-off prison inmates who don't love LEOs, in prison with theformerly pissed-off cop who doesn't understand the law, in jailfor a criminalcivil rights violation which resulted from his/her anger and ignorance.

Chew on that.

MetalChris

imported post

BB62 wrote:
OFCC still disallows mention of BFA on their forums for me to seek out someone who may have a link.
What?! Why? Oh right, in light of the Sayers debacle I'm not surprised...

RT48

imported post

MetalChris wrote:
BB62 wrote:
OFCC still disallows mention of BFA on their forums for me to seek out someone who may have a link.
What?! Why? Oh right, in light of the Sayers debacle I'm not surprised...
I'm not sure what you are referring to regarding the Sayers incident. Perhaps you could refresh my memory.

BFA's leaders used be be affiliated with the OFCC PAC and the parting of the ways was not friendly. I seem to remember that happening around the summer of 2005.

cato

imported post

OCers and anyone concerned about proving their side of the story and protecting their Rights MUST carry a recorder of some kind (even if it's the cell phone calling a voice message system and being on speaker phone).

Check out the laws in OHIO ( to be sure)but there must be some wayof documenting these unlawful detentions/encounters with LE for use during the complaint faze or during a court defense or civil challenge.

Brian D.

imported post

Good point cato. As a matter of fact I bought alow-miles modernone from a fellow carrier at this very march. Mine was getting old, people asked me if I'd gotten it from Jim Phelps at an IMF surplus auction. (The tv show Jim Phelps not the movie one.)