Thread: Carry Permit in CT

Post imported post

We currently have one year on our management contract here in Utah, but when that is up my wife and I want to leave the state.

My wife really wants to work/finish school in NYC, but I can't live somewhere where the only carry permits are issued to the rich and well connected (like NYC).

PA is a too far to commute, NJ is of course out of the question, so it looks like our only option may be CT!

How easy/hard is it to get a permit in CT? Is it a shall issue or may issue state?

Are there any outdoor ranges around the Southwest corner of the state? Don't need specifics.

Thanks for any info!

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

By all accounts I have read, CT is all but shall-issue, even though the law is not written that way. Its also moderately NFA friendly.

Post imported post

If you don't have any felonies, restraining orders, mental health issues just apply and it's yours in 4-8 weeks.

Post imported post

Good news! That is what I was hoping to hear.

I will be sure to give everyone a heads up if we end up heading that way fall/winter 2009-2010.

We are thinking somewhere west of Stamford... Any comments?

Post imported post

ilbob wrote:
    By all accounts I have read, CT is all but shall-issue, even though the law is not written that way. Its also moderately NFA friendly.
    I've heard the same from several sources. It is a shall-issue state for all practical purposes.

Post imported post

You will get a permit no problem in CT

Post imported post

Lank wrote:
    ilbob wrote:
    I've heard the same from several sources. It is a shall-issue state for all practical purposes.
    Well you're moving to about the most expensive part of the state. West of Stamford is prime commute-to-NYC area and the closer to NY you are the more $$ it costs to live there. Just bear that in mind. If money is no object then you should be fine.

I personally live a but further up the coast where the prices are a bit lower, there's a few outdoor ranges nearby. I'm not sure what your option are closer to the NY border though.

Good luck!

Post imported post

Down that way is Wooster Mountain Shooting Range off of Route 7, just below Danbury.

Post imported post

my wife got hers in ONE WEEK.

no, this is not a typo. ONE WEEK.

quick turnaround time attributed to pro-RKBA chief, and electronic fingerprinting.

of course, YMMV if you live in another town.

Post imported post

Even in cities like New Haven, where they clearly hate giving out permits, and will give you plenty of hassles, you will eventually get it, as long as you don't have felonies, or any of the disqualifying factors listed in the law. Some towns will request more than what the law requires, but you don't have to give them any of that, and they are forbidden by law from denying your permit based on refusal to give any of that stuff

Post imported post

30 cal **** wrote:
    my wife got hers in ONE WEEK.

no, this is not a typo. ONE WEEK.

quick turnaround time attributed to pro-RKBA chief, and electronic fingerprinting.

of course, YMMV if you live in another town.
    Wow! Where do you guys live?!?!?!?

Stratford took 5 weeks, which combined with the month wait to get fingerprinted etc added up to what I thought was too long!

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar

Post imported post

Here's what you do:

Apply for your CT permit now. Since you reside in Utah you'll be able to make a direct application to the state police. Renewals will go through the staties even though you'll become a resident.

Post imported post

1 month to get fingerprinted?? wow...they do it 3 times a week in my town..and i had a friend who recently applied..got his in 2 weeks..

Post imported post

buketdude wrote:
    1 month to get fingerprinted?? wow...they do it 3 times a week in my town..and i had a friend who recently applied..got his in 2 weeks..
    Yes!

When I called to make the appointment I was told "we do fingerprints on tuesdays at 9am and 3pm and on saturdays at 9am"

Great says I, I can come in at 9am tomorrow.

"we don't have any appointments tomorrow"

Great, so put me down

"no we don't have any appointments OPEN tomorrow"

"oh so how many appointments do you do? "

"one on tuesday morning, one on tuesday afternoon and one on Saturday morning"

"oh so when CAN you do an appointment?"

"tuesday the blablah"

"Oh so nothing until next month?"

"No we are very busy"

"I'm not surprised if you only do 12 appointments per month"

crazy stuff.

Post imported post

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled this @#$% on purpose. I know I had to go 3-4 times to Southington PD, between them not having permit applications on hand (which was false), not being present when they said they would, and also screwing up both my and a friend's fingerprints.

Post imported post

They definitely do it on purpose in New Haven. My 63 year old father had to go in, walking with a cane, I think a total of four times, to get the application, and attempting to get fingerprinted. He finally drove up to the DPS to get them done.
    He got his permit around 9 or 10 weeks after that.
    I got my permit app immediately in Branford, and got fingerprinted just by showing up and asking. I showed up one time during a shift change, and they told me their shifts and asked me to come back mid-shift, which I did, and got fingerprinted later that day. 5 weeks waiting after turning in the application I got my temp permit.

Post imported post

I guess Middletownwas a littledifferent. I called to find out how the process works, got my answers, went in to see one of theofficers that handle the applications, made my application, got my permit about 6 weeks later. When I called to check on status,I got an immediate answer, and never got any crap from anyone. I don't like thatI had to wait 6 weeks, but I don't think they intentionally did anything to make it any harder either.

Post imported post

When I was in process for my permit in Seymour, I was quietly warned that once all the checks came back clear and everything was ok'd; I was still looking at a few months wait.

Seems the Chief has his own little policy in place, I was warned that he likes to hold onto applications for a few months after the check as a sort of extra "Cool Down" period. :shock:

Guess what? Took me almost 8 months to have my city permit issued.

They seem to issue on their discretion.

Post imported post

dbernor wrote:
    When I was in process for my permit in Seymour, I was quietly warned that once all the checks came back clear and everything was ok'd; I was still looking at a few months wait.

Seems the Chief has his own little policy in place, I was warned that he likes to hold onto applications for a few months after the check as a sort of extra "Cool Down" period. :shock:

Guess what? Took me almost 8 months to have my city permit issued.

They seem to issue on their discretion.
    that doesn't at all seem in line with state law

Post imported post

That was 5 years ago, and I remember not really questioning anything of the process because the Department basically made you feel like you were asking them to arrest you for even thinking of getting a permit.

Post imported post

dbernor wrote:
    That was 5 years ago, and I remember not really questioning anything of the process because the Department basically made you feel like you were asking them to arrest you for even thinking of getting a permit.
    When I went to the desk sargeant at my towns PD I was as polite as I could be. the guy gave me a long look over when I asked "Could I please have an application for pistols and revolvers". He got the forms and handed them to me and hesitated for a second or tow and then said "when you get this all filled out, signed and notarized call this number to set up an appointment for the background check" I thanked him very much and walked out.

I went in there with the confidence that I wasn't asking for something I wasn't entitled to get, like a dog license or something else mundane.

The detective that took my prints and went over the paperwork with me on the day was young and pretty easy going. We joked about how funny it would be if he ran my name/dob and came back with a warrant. He said "I'm not going to see anything bad in there am I??" so I said "You shouldn't see anything at all!" and he didn't so that made it all the more amusing. I said "It would be pretty stupid to come in here voluntarily for something like this and get arrested on the spot wouldn't it?" he said "You'd be surprised"

It's all in the past now, I'm just waiting for my Utah permit to arrive which for the $100 class and $65 fee opens up 30 states to me so I can go out west and visit with my buddy and we can go have some fun like proper cowboys.