• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Iowa resident with an Iowa PTC

Burddog

imported post

I am an Iowa resident who travels to SD regularly on business and also to visit relatives. I know SD honors the Iowa permit, THANK YOU SOUTH DAKOTA, but is open carry allowed under your law for an out of stater with a permit?

I normally prefer concealed carry but sometimes it would be simpler just to use one of the OWB holters. Especially with the P229 Elite, which is a bit more difficult to conceal well.

SDguy

imported post

As a South Dakota resident I can tell you that open carry is legal in our state with or without a permit. Anyone can carry openly here as long as you have not been convicted of a felony or are classified in some way that prohibits otherwise.

Burddog

imported post

Thanks for the information.
Now I know I can open carry in Louisiana, Minnesota and South Dakota if I feel like it. (I've been researching other states that I travel through.)

I also have a Utah non resident permit.

Good deal.

Peacemaker

imported post

You can also open carry in Georgia with your reciprocal license. Just watch out for our obnoxiously long places off-limits list. Perhaps they will be mostly gone by next July 1 :celebrate