• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NKY Devou Park

BusinessCards

imported post

Just noticed some new signs up at Devou Park. They say

"POSTED
Wildlife Refuge
No Firearms Allowed. Violators Will Be Prosecuted.
Dept of Fish and Wildlife Resources"

When did this happen? I have always open carried in there and had rangers drive and walk by me with no problems. Needless to say, I had to conceal carry today when I saw this stupid sign.

What about the people who live in there? Do they have to give up their guns? How easy is it to mandate an area as a wildlife refuge? Couldn't the feds just declare the whole country a refuge for squirrels and take all our guns?

Brian D.

imported post

*Sigh* Think I'll go look at this for myself tomorrow or so. Find itunfathomable that those signs are from the Feds, but the state wildlife agencies in Ky. ought to flat know better. In any event they almost certainly have no force of law behind them, and if they want to tell folks not to HUNT there, that's what the signs should state.

Brian D.

imported post

Btw what part of the park did you see those signs in? Got to thinking last night--Devou Park is too big for me to drive around the whole place looking for them. Thanks.

BusinessCards

imported post

The sign is smaller than a stop sign and rectangular in shape. It is yellow with black print letters.

The first one I saw is at the entrance to the park nearest the golf clubhouse parking lot. The other one was just a quarter mile down the road from that one on the left on a telephone pole at the big three way intersection.

hotrod

imported post

There was a man that used his concealed handgun to defend himself against an armed robber in Devou Park a few years ago. That sign appears to be window dressing for the elite that live around the park

zer0cool

imported post

Covington City Ordinances, chapter 94 section 17

94.17 DANGEROUS WEAPONS PROHIBITED.

No person shall discharge firearms, slings, bows, or any other device by which persons, animals, or birds may be injured or frightened. No person shall throw stones or other missiles within park property. However, archery may be practiced in areas designated for such purposes by the Board of Commissioners.

Discharge is the key word here, they assumed that we wouldn't look up the ordinance. All city parks in the state of KY have this, but it also says in another section of the city ordinances that the only time a firearm can be discharged without "official authority" is a bonafide self defense situation.

Plus the houses that are up there were built by drees... Who is the Kenton County Judge Executive? Mr. Drees... I think you see where I'm going with this...

Like the previous comment, Window Dressing is what it is.

And as far as missiles go, You CANT OC your SCUD Missile Launchers sorry.:lol:

RIAShooter

imported post

zer0cool wrote:
Covington City Ordinances, chapter 94 section 17

94.17 DANGEROUS WEAPONS PROHIBITED.

No person shall discharge firearms, slings, bows, or any other device by which persons, animals, or birds may be injured or frightened. No person shall throw stones or other missiles within park property. However, archery may be practiced in areas designated for such purposes by the Board of Commissioners.

Discharge is the key word here, they assumed that we wouldn't look up the ordinance. All city parks in the state of KY have this, but it also says in another section of the city ordinances that the only time a firearm can be discharged without "official authority" is a bonafide self defense situation.

Plus the houses that are up there were built by drees... Who is the Kenton County Judge Executive? Mr. Drees... I think you see where I'm going with this...

Like the previous comment, Window Dressing is what it is.

And as far as missiles go, You CANT OC your SCUD Missile Launchers sorry.:lol:

Not even if it's unloaded???? this is crap

zer0cool

imported post

Well I wouldnt OC up there just for the fact of the people that live in that area. But I would CC it sayes not to discharge, the name of the section is dangerous weapons prohibited. But that isnt what the ordinance sayes. Besides it's halarious how it sayes to frighten people or animals. My buddy's cockatoo saw my .45 and went nuts! He is anti-gun too... Come on get serious. :banghead:

BusinessCards

imported post

ZeroCool, how do you know the sign in the park is referencing the Covington ordinance you posted? Are we sure there is no state law or federal law banning firearms in wildlife refuges? I looked on the KY Wildlife Department's website, but couldn't find anything helpful.

zer0cool

imported post

Well Devou is owned by the city of covington and managed by the covington city parks dept. The only state law regarding firearms in chapter 150.00 of krs (Dept. of Fish and Wildlife Resources) states:
150.460 Use of certain substances and devices in public waters prohibited -- Use of explosives and firearms prohibited.

(4) No person shall kill, injure, shock, or stun or attempt to kill, injure, shock, or stun any fishes by any explosive agent, firearm, or other device. This provision shall not apply to employees or agents of the department acting in an official capacity.

(And the section stating that any conservation or peace officer may inspect your firearm when hunting.)

As far as federal law is concerned I'll have to check on that. Federal is always more complicated. But since this park iscity owned I believe only the city ordinances, and state law are the ones to be worried about. Besides if there was state law against this, then it would be shown under the CCDW section of the statute of where license holders shall not carry a CC'd Weapon in the commonwealth.

N00blet45

imported post

All I see is that it prohibits the discharge of projectile weapons, not the possession of them. Though the state law provides immunity from prosecution for self-defense, I think.

As well, is this a local government body or a body of the state government? KRS 65.870 prohibits local governments from regulating any aspect of firearms. Even if it was a part of the state government I don't think they are authorized to prohibit the possession of firearms.

hotrod

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
Only one Federal Wildlife Refuge in Kentucky and its Clarks River National Wildlife Refuge in Benton, KY.
http://www.fws.gov/offices/directory/ListOffices.cfm?statecode=21

Each state has its own rules for the carry & transport of weapons in a FWR. Some states only allow weapons during hunting season and even then they must be cased and unloaded during vehicle travel.
What about Land Between the Lakes. I believe it is listed as a Federal Wildlife Refuge.

zer0cool

imported post

But the point is, those are all FEDERAL. The sign that is posted is sighting Dept. of Fish and Wildlife Resources. Which is state government,meaning state law applies and/or city ordinances. IF land is owned or sanctioned under The Department of the Interior, then federal law or USC would apply. The sign is stating that its a refuge by D.F.W.R. (State) not U.S.F.W.S. (Federal - Bureau of The Dept. of The Interior)

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

What about Land Between the Lakes. I believe it is listed as a Federal Wildlife Refuge.

Be aware that the TVA (Tennessees Valley Authority) does ban the possession of weapons in certain areas. Sorry for the bad pic but the sign was not my primary concern when taking this picture.

BusinessCards

imported post

I emailed the KY Dept. of Wildlife about the signs at Devou and this is the response I got from them.

The only signage I can find related to what is described below is from the 50’s or 60’s when KDFWR would sign up lands as Wildlife refuge areas for rabbit and quail and not allow any hunting. The intent was for these areas to provide a source population to spill over onto surrounding lands. This is not the case as most small game populations have extremely high annual mortality rates and the over winter population simply repopulates the immediate area the next spring. Improving and expanding habitat is the key to growing small game populations.

In any event, the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources does not regulate state, county or city parks.

KY Department of Fish & Wildlife Resources

#1 Sportsman's Lane
Frankfort, KY 40601

They can't identify the sign from my description of it. I would sure like to know where the heck the dang things came from!

BusinessCards

imported post

Here is another update. I emailed the City of Covington and asked them about the signs and which laws they were referencing. Here is the response.

[font="'PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif'"]
Don't have the state law handy, but here's part Covington's
> parks ordinance that is somewhat applicable:
>
> 94.17 DANGEROUS WEAPONS PROHIBITED.
>
> No person shall discharge firearms,
> slings, bows, or any other device by which persons, animals, or
> birds may be injured or frightened. No person shall throw
> stones or other missiles within park property. However,
> archery may be practiced in areas designated for such purposes
> by the Board of Commissioners.
>
> I have asked the parks manager about the history of the sign.
[/font]

I replied that the ordinance he cited dealt with the discharge of firearms but the signs in the park clearly mean the possession of firearms. I'll keep you guys posted with anything I hear back from them.

zer0cool

imported post

Yep, thats the ordinance that I sighted before... BUTthey must remember, they can regulate the discharge of firearms but not the possession.:quirky ONLY the state can do that. W-I-N-D-O-W DRESSING!:banghead::banghead: