Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43

Thread: Was drawn on and disarmed in Federal Way(was ok)

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    113

    Post imported post

    I have to admit of all the stories about being disarmed this event was probably one of the 'best handled' by the officer.

    My wife and I were open carrying while we went to check out a house we were interested in buying. We arrived to the area early(the real estate agent said 6:30, we got there around 5:45) intentionally so we could check out the area before looking at the house. While we were driving around we saw a Federal Way cruiser and pulled over near by and I called out if I could talk to him for a moment(So I could ask about the crime level in the area). He said sure, so I got out of the car and that's when he saw the glock 21 on my side in it's holster.

    It was the standard 'hands above you head, hands on the hood of the car, kneel down' then he disarmed me. On a side note I was happy that my holster made it very difficult for him to take it from my holster from behind. Then after taking my glock, my weak side knife clipped to my left front pocket, and my leatherman, he felt comfortable talking. Then the poor guy asked if my wife wanted to come out of the car to join the conversation, and that's when we grinned and told him that she's open carrying as well.

    We had a good conversation about the safety of the area and I offered him an open carry pamphlet. It turns out my wife and I are the 2nd and 3rd person he's ever met who open carried. Then I was able to rearm and go meet with the real estate agent.

    We learned that the officer just found an abandoned car and was worried that my wife and I had come back to retrieve it(or something). So, lessons learned: "Be careful when driving up on a police officer while open carrying."

    I count the experience as a plus for the department.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    295

    Post imported post

    I live in Federal Way, if you want to PM the area to me I can tell you how it fairs for the rest of the city. what areas are better or worse, ect.

    It sounds like this was a good encounter, even if he disarmed you "for officer safety". Which I don't think is needed, but when they are in the mode of "everyones bad until your verify" I can understand. Especially with the happening up north last week I think all the LEO's are a little jumpy.



  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    , Washington, USA
    Posts
    136

    Post imported post

    This is ********. I have know idea why you are so OK with this. It was very wrong for this officer to disarm you.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    113

    Post imported post

    The incident was last week. The day after the death of the officer. And he was in a dead end road(I couldn't tell until after I got out of the car) and I pulled up behind him. Not on his bumper, but one car length. If I were in his situation I would feel worried too.

    Disarming me momentarily I don't agree with, but his professionalism in the matter did help the situation.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Union, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,256

    Post imported post

    This is not OK. The officer was wrong in so many ways and action should be taken. You probably could have prevented his over reaction with advising him up front that you had a sidearm, rather than use the surprise factor. But it doesn't excuse his over reaction.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kent, Washington, USA
    Posts
    116

    Post imported post

    Action taken? ... Like what a thank you letter?

    Why are you guys such gold diggers?

    This is one of the best encounters I've read .. For BOTH parties.



  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    113

    Post imported post

    I did notify him ahead of time, and I informed him that I did have my CPL license on me. I was informing him just before and while I was getting out of my car.

    To his credit as soon as he realized I wasn't a threat(only a moment after disarming me), he gave me back my items and I was allowed to rearm.

    While my rights might have been violated by being disarmed, I am more upset(even now months later) about being turned away from watching the July 4th fireworks at Gasworks park.

  8. #8
    Regular Member MetalChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    1,215

    Post imported post

    quentusrex wrote:
    I did notify him ahead of time, and I informed him that I did have my CPL license on me. I was informing him just before and while I was getting out of my car.

    To his credit as soon as he realized I wasn't a threat(only a moment after disarming me), he gave me back my items and I was allowed to rearm.

    While my rights might have been violated by being disarmed, I am more upset(even now months later) about being turned away from watching the July 4th fireworks at Gasworks park.
    I think that speaks volumes. Given the circumstances (officer killed the day before) I don't blame him for being a little jumpy.

    Now had he arrested you and your wife confiscated your property and taken you both to the station for an inter..um I mean interview, that would be a different story.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Union, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,256

    Post imported post

    quentusrex wrote:
    I did notify him ahead of time, and I informed him that I did have my CPL license on me. I was informing him just before and while I was getting out of my car.

    To his credit as soon as he realized I wasn't a threat(only a moment after disarming me), he gave me back my items and I was allowed to rearm.

    While my rights might have been violated by being disarmed, I am more upset(even now months later) about being turned away from watching the July 4th fireworks at Gasworks park.
    With notification ahead of time, the the officer blew it and needs a major correction to his operating procedures.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Union, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,256

    Post imported post

    MetalChris wrote:
    quentusrex wrote:
    I did notify him ahead of time, and I informed him that I did have my CPL license on me. I was informing him just before and while I was getting out of my car.

    To his credit as soon as he realized I wasn't a threat(only a moment after disarming me), he gave me back my items and I was allowed to rearm.

    While my rights might have been violated by being disarmed, I am more upset(even now months later) about being turned away from watching the July 4th fireworks at Gasworks park.
    I think that speaks volumes. Given the circumstances (officer killed the day before) I don't blame him for being a little jumpy.

    Now had he arrested you and your wife confiscated your property and taken you both to the station for an inter..um I mean interview, that would be a different story.
    I wasn't aware that the Constitution and the rest of the laws are suspended when someone gets killed, cop or not. By your thinking the cops are justified in violating a persons rights pretty much anytime they want. Fortunately that isn't the way it works. It isn't even legal for a cop to stop you at all for having an OC'd weapon on you here in Washington.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    295

    Post imported post

    Bear 45/70 wrote:
    quentusrex wrote:
    I did notify him ahead of time, and I informed him that I did have my CPL license on me. I was informing him just before and while I was getting out of my car.

    To his credit as soon as he realized I wasn't a threat(only a moment after disarming me), he gave me back my items and I was allowed to rearm.

    While my rights might have been violated by being disarmed, I am more upset(even now months later) about being turned away from watching the July 4th fireworks at Gasworks park.
    With notification ahead of time, the the officer blew it and needs a major correction to his operating procedures.
    OK, I have to take back my "ok", with this post. After learning that you announced your situation, disarming wasn't needed, and shouldn't have been an issue at all. The surprise factor was what I was referring to going into "officer protection" mode. What BG is going to tell the LEO he has his sidearm on his hip if it was going to be altercation? Duh. None.

  12. #12
    Regular Member just_a_car's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,558

    Post imported post

    CC27 wrote:
    This is bull@#$%. I have know idea why you are so OK with this. It was very wrong for this officer to disarm you.
    It may have been "wrong" but he was well within his legal right to disarm him. As described by the OP, the officer has reasonable suspicion that they might have been involved in the crime that was committed and the OP opened himself up to the Terry stop by making contact.

    An unfortunate side effect and the officer should have just asked questions in conversation to determine the OP wasn't a bad-guy. A POLITE email to the training officer will likely get this resolved for any future encounters. Federal Way has a training bulletin and is well-aware of OC legality.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    113

    Post imported post

    We talked about the legality of OC'ing. He knows it's legal, but he hadn't met but one person who OC'd before. I was only disarmed for maybe a minute, and after that he had no problem with my wife and I standing there armed.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Union, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,256

    Post imported post

    just_a_car wrote:
    CC27 wrote:
    This is bull@#$%. I have know idea why you are so OK with this. It was very wrong for this officer to disarm you.
    It may have been "wrong" but he was well within his legal right to disarm him. As described by the OP, the officer has reasonable suspicion that they might have been involved in the crime that was committed and the OP opened himself up to the Terry stop by making contact.

    An unfortunate side effect and the officer should have just asked questions in conversation to determine the OP wasn't a bad-guy. A POLITE email to the training officer will likely get this resolved for any future encounters. Federal Way has a training bulletin and is well-aware of OC legality.
    Officer safety???? The Op advised the nitwit that he had a sidearm up front, how many bad guy announce they have a gun before committing a crime. The officer was wrong. By your reasoning the cop could just cruise the neighborhood and harass people at will, becausea crime had been committed recently, I don't think so. You are also wanting to drop the Constitution and laws because someone got shot, not gonna fly in court.

  15. #15
    Regular Member just_a_car's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,558

    Post imported post

    Bear 45/70 wrote:
    just_a_car wrote:
    CC27 wrote:
    This is bull@#$%. I have know idea why you are so OK with this. It was very wrong for this officer to disarm you.
    It may have been "wrong" but he was well within his legal right to disarm him. As described by the OP, the officer has reasonable suspicion that they might have been involved in the crime that was committed and the OP opened himself up to the Terry stop by making contact.

    An unfortunate side effect and the officer should have just asked questions in conversation to determine the OP wasn't a bad-guy. A POLITE email to the training officer will likely get this resolved for any future encounters. Federal Way has a training bulletin and is well-aware of OC legality.
    Officer safety???? The Op advised the nitwit that he had a sidearm up front, how many bad guy announce they have a gun before committing a crime. The officer was wrong. By your reasoning the cop could just cruise the neighborhood and harass people at will, becausea crime had been committed recently, I don't think so. You are also wanting to drop the Constitution and laws because someone got shot, not gonna fly in court.
    Bear, settle down, take a breath and actually read the words I wrote.

    Nowhere did I mention "officer safety"... so where do you get off starting with that?

    You state the officer was wrong... guess what... so did I in my first sentence.

    You have called for "action" in your previous posts and don't say what that action should be. I, on the other hand, have called for a specific action of a letter or email to the training officer to have this specific patrol officer talked to for his wrong actions.

    Oh, and Fred... DON'T YOU EVER ACCUSE ME OF WANTING TO DROP THE CONSTITUTION AGAIN. Got it? You've met me once, so you sure as hell don't know me or who I am and if you base what you know on my actions on these forums, you should know I hold both the US and WA Constitution in high regard.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    736

    Post imported post

    Bear 45/70 wrote:
    Officer safety???? The Op advised the nitwit that he had a sidearm up front, how many bad guy announce they have a gun before committing a crime. The officer was wrong. By your reasoning the cop could just cruise the neighborhood and harass people at will, becausea crime had been committed recently, I don't think so. You are also wanting to drop the Constitution and laws because someone got shot, not gonna fly in court.
    Might fly in a Seattle court

  17. #17
    Regular Member TechnoWeenie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2,086

    Post imported post

    CC27 wrote:
    *This is bull@#$%. I have know idea why you are so OK with this. It was very wrong for this officer to disarm you.
    +1
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Union, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,256

    Post imported post

    grishnav wrote:
    Bear 45/70 wrote:
    Officer safety???? The Op advised the nitwit that he had a sidearm up front, how many bad guy announce they have a gun before committing a crime. The officer was wrong. By your reasoning the cop could just cruise the neighborhood and harass people at will, becausea crime had been committed recently, I don't think so. You are also wanting to drop the Constitution and laws because someone got shot, not gonna fly in court.
    Might fly in a Seattle court
    Not on appeal it wouldn't.

  19. #19
    Regular Member MetalChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    1,215

    Post imported post

    Bear 45/70 wrote:
    MetalChris wrote:
    quentusrex wrote:
    I did notify him ahead of time, and I informed him that I did have my CPL license on me. I was informing him just before and while I was getting out of my car.

    To his credit as soon as he realized I wasn't a threat(only a moment after disarming me), he gave me back my items and I was allowed to rearm.

    While my rights might have been violated by being disarmed, I am more upset(even now months later) about being turned away from watching the July 4th fireworks at Gasworks park.
    I think that speaks volumes. Given the circumstances (officer killed the day before) I don't blame him for being a little jumpy.

    Now had he arrested you and your wife confiscated your property and taken you both to the station for an inter..um I mean interview, that would be a different story.
    I wasn't aware that the Constitution and the rest of the laws are suspended when someone gets killed, cop or not. By your thinking the cops are justified in violating a persons rights pretty much anytime they want. Fortunately that isn't the way it works. It isn't even legal for a cop to stop you at all for having an OC'd weapon on you here in Washington.
    I guess I should've said "I understand why the cop was jumpy." By saying I don't blame him I'm saying I think it's coo, which I don't.

    So anyhoo, for the record I can understand, given today's LEO mentality of "us vs. them", why he over-reacted.

    At least he didn't arrest the OP and confiscate his property. I've read of much worse things happening to folks than what did to the OP.

    Does that pass muster w/ you Bear, or are you still going to find something to jump on me for?

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Union, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,256

    Post imported post

    MetalChris wrote:
    Bear 45/70 wrote:
    MetalChris wrote:
    quentusrex wrote:
    I did notify him ahead of time, and I informed him that I did have my CPL license on me. I was informing him just before and while I was getting out of my car.

    To his credit as soon as he realized I wasn't a threat(only a moment after disarming me), he gave me back my items and I was allowed to rearm.

    While my rights might have been violated by being disarmed, I am more upset(even now months later) about being turned away from watching the July 4th fireworks at Gasworks park.
    I think that speaks volumes. Given the circumstances (officer killed the day before) I don't blame him for being a little jumpy.

    Now had he arrested you and your wife confiscated your property and taken you both to the station for an inter..um I mean interview, that would be a different story.
    I wasn't aware that the Constitution and the rest of the laws are suspended when someone gets killed, cop or not. By your thinking the cops are justified in violating a persons rights pretty much anytime they want. Fortunately that isn't the way it works. It isn't even legal for a cop to stop you at all for having an OC'd weapon on you here in Washington.
    I guess I should've said "I understand why the cop was jumpy." By saying I don't blame him I'm saying I think it's coo, which I don't.

    So anyhoo, for the record I can understand, given today's LEO mentality of "us vs. them", why he over-reacted.

    At least he didn't arrest the OP and confiscate his property. I've read of much worse things happening to folks than what did to the OP.

    Does that pass muster w/ you Bear, or are you still going to find something to jump on me for?
    So are you sayingit's OK that the cop violated the law, because you understand why he did it? And it makes it better because he didn't arrest the op? That just doesn't work for me at all. If you break the law, especially when you are suppose to be enforcing the law,just doesn't get the job done for me, regardlessof the cop's reason. Anymore than he would be understanding if I robbed a bank because I was broke and needed to feed my family.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    N47 12 x W122 10
    Posts
    1,762

    Post imported post

    Sounds to me like you were arrested. Are you a reasonable person? Did you feel free to leave at any point? (He pointed a gun at you and gave you orders, right?)

    If you are a reasonable person, and you felt that you were not free to leave at any point, you were arrested.

  22. #22
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    Bear 45/70 wrote:
    SNIP So are...sayingit's OK that the cop violated the law, because you understand why he did it?
    Unfortunately we do see a good bit of this.

    Understandability getssubstituted for "well, what does the law say?" or "does that violate what's left of anybody's rights?"
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  23. #23
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SeaTac, Washington, USA
    Posts
    434

    Post imported post

    quentusrex wrote:
    We talked about the legality of OC'ing. He knows it's legal, but he hadn't met but one person who OC'd before. I was only disarmed for maybe a minute, and after that he had no problem with my wife and I standing there armed.
    Soundslike the officermade a mistake and corrected it. He didn't disarm the wife. He returned the weapon and continued the conversation from there. Quentusrex apparently felt comfortable with the conversation after the initial incident. Good job Quentusrex sounds like one more LE is now at ease with OC. Hopefully he will do better with his next encounter.





    edit for spelling

  24. #24
    Regular Member MetalChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    1,215

    Post imported post

    Bear 45/70 wrote:
    MetalChris wrote:
    Bear 45/70 wrote:
    MetalChris wrote:
    quentusrex wrote:
    I did notify him ahead of time, and I informed him that I did have my CPL license on me. I was informing him just before and while I was getting out of my car.

    To his credit as soon as he realized I wasn't a threat(only a moment after disarming me), he gave me back my items and I was allowed to rearm.

    While my rights might have been violated by being disarmed, I am more upset(even now months later) about being turned away from watching the July 4th fireworks at Gasworks park.
    I think that speaks volumes. Given the circumstances (officer killed the day before) I don't blame him for being a little jumpy.

    Now had he arrested you and your wife confiscated your property and taken you both to the station for an inter..um I mean interview, that would be a different story.
    I wasn't aware that the Constitution and the rest of the laws are suspended when someone gets killed, cop or not. By your thinking the cops are justified in violating a persons rights pretty much anytime they want. Fortunately that isn't the way it works. It isn't even legal for a cop to stop you at all for having an OC'd weapon on you here in Washington.
    I guess I should've said "I understand why the cop was jumpy." By saying I don't blame him I'm saying I think it's coo, which I don't.

    So anyhoo, for the record I can understand, given today's LEO mentality of "us vs. them", why he over-reacted.

    At least he didn't arrest the OP and confiscate his property. I've read of much worse things happening to folks than what did to the OP.

    Does that pass muster w/ you Bear, or are you still going to find something to jump on me for?
    So are you sayingit's OK that the cop violated the law, because you understand why he did it? And it makes it better because he didn't arrest the op? That just doesn't work for me at all. If you break the law, especially when you are suppose to be enforcing the law,just doesn't get the job done for me, regardlessof the cop's reason. Anymore than he would be understanding if I robbed a bank because I was broke and needed to feed my family.
    That is how the wording of my original post sounded, but I corrected it with the most recent post that you quoted. So NO I DO NOT think what the cop did was OK, but I think I UNDERSTAND why he did it.

    So you think it would've been better had the OP been arrested and his property confiscated?

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    149

    Post imported post

    :P Sometimes, cops will let ya off a speeding ticket, or whatever. Cops have bad days too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •