• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Was drawn on and disarmed in Federal Way(was ok)

deanf

imported post

Of course all of us were there, and are familiar with every nuance of the situation, so we're all fully qualified to tender every unsolicited opinion.

joeroket

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
joeroket wrote:
j2l3 wrote:
just_a_car wrote:
It may have been "wrong" but he was well within his legal right to disarm him. As described by the OP, the officer has reasonable suspicion that they might have been involved in the crime that was committed and the OP opened himself up to the Terry stop by making contact.

An unfortunate side effect and the officer should have just asked questions in conversation to determine the OP wasn't a bad-guy. A POLITE email to the training officer will likely get this resolved for any future encounters. Federal Way has a training bulletin and is well-aware of OC legality.
What crime would that be? I have read nothing that mentions a crime.
+1

I did not see a crime either. Unless he is referencing the retrieving an abandoned vehicle, which is not a crime.
Well, it is a crime if he's the one that dumped it there, now isn't it? You all need to reread the OP and look at the reason given as to "reasonable suspicion". I don't like it, but it's legal.
Uh that does not indicate that he had reasonable suspicion that they committed a crime, does it? ( Yea I can be condescending too. ) No it doesn't because it is not a crime. It only gives them impound authority. Show me where there was reaonable suspicion that they were connected to the car anyway. Oh wait, you can't.

David.Car

imported post

How is approaching a police officer while they are dealing with a potential crime make you a reasonable suspect? That is one of thestupidest things I have ever heard.

So if you approach a police officer while he is writing a ticket for a traffic violation, he can just give it to you instead because obviously it must be your fault?

When I approach some police officers standing around talking after placing a suspect in handcuffs, they should probably just cuff me too than because I obviously must be his acomplice.

You see what I am trying to get at here? Just because you are in the area or attempt to speak to a police officer, does not mean they have the right to search or detain you. Seems like some people in this thread are just looking for an excuse to throw away their rights.