Thread: Gun in the car?

Post imported post

Is it illegal to leave a gun in your car permanently in CT. I searched the state website for gun laws but it isn't mentioned.

Post imported post

It may very well be legal - I don't know. I *do* know that, in CT, the second time someone steals one of your pistols you can be charged with a class D felony and you can kiss your right to own a gun goodbye. I'd want to be reasonably sure my car wasn't going to get broken into before leaving a gun in it.

Post imported post

If you have a permit..you can leave a handgun in your car......and IT IS NOT a felony if someone steals your gun...

Post imported post

Well, I re-read my source and it turns out it isn't quite as I remembered it:

"A person must report the loss or theft of any firearm to the local police department within 72 hours of when such person discovered or should have discovered the loss or theft. Any person who fails to make the required report within the required time period shall commit an infraction and be fined not more than $90.00 for a first offense and be guilty of a class D felony for any subsequent offense."

The key is reporting it within 72 hours "of when you should have discovered it", which I'm sure you'd be able to do under most circumstances. That's from the NRA summary of firearms laws for CT, by the way.

Post imported post

Lank wrote:
    Well, I re-read my source and it turns out it isn't quite as I remembered it:

"A person must report the loss or theft of any firearm to the local police department within 72 hours of when such person discovered or should have discovered the loss or theft. Any person who fails to make the required report within the required time period shall commit an infraction and be fined not more than $90.00 for a first offense and be guilty of a class D felony for any subsequent offense."

The key is reporting it within 72 hours "of when you should have discovered it", which I'm sure you'd be able to do under most circumstances. That's from the NRA summary of firearms laws for CT, by the way.
    I think the '72 hours' is the result of a law that got passed in the 2007 legislative session. There's similar laws in a number of other states.Another piece of feel-good crap that does nothing but make the losers in the state legislature feel good about themselves.

mg