• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun in the car?

AGust82

imported post

Is it illegal to leave a gun in your car permanently in CT. I searched the state website for gun laws but it isn't mentioned.

Lank

imported post

It may very well be legal - I don't know. I *do* know that, in CT, the second time someone steals one of your pistols you can be charged with a class D felony and you can kiss your right to own a gun goodbye. I'd want to be reasonably sure my car wasn't going to get broken into before leaving a gun in it.

Lank

imported post

Well, I re-read my source and it turns out it isn't quite as I remembered it:

"A person must report the loss or theft of any firearm to the local police department within 72 hours of when such person discovered or should have discovered the loss or theft. Any person who fails to make the required report within the required time period shall commit an infraction and be fined not more than $90.00 for a first offense and be guilty of a class D felony for any subsequent offense."

The key is reporting it within 72 hours "of when you should have discovered it", which I'm sure you'd be able to do under most circumstances. That's from the NRA summary of firearms laws for CT, by the way.

MGoduto

imported post

Lank wrote:
Well, I re-read my source and it turns out it isn't quite as I remembered it:

"A person must report the loss or theft of any firearm to the local police department within 72 hours of when such person discovered or should have discovered the loss or theft. Any person who fails to make the required report within the required time period shall commit an infraction and be fined not more than $90.00 for a first offense and be guilty of a class D felony for any subsequent offense."

The key is reporting it within 72 hours "of when you should have discovered it", which I'm sure you'd be able to do under most circumstances. That's from the NRA summary of firearms laws for CT, by the way.

I think the '72 hours' is the result of a law that got passed in the 2007 legislative session. There's similar laws in a number of other states.Another piece of feel-good crap that does nothing but make the losers in the state legislature feel good about themselves.

mg