Thread: Taco Bell manager recounts harrowing robbery

Post imported post

Taco Bell manager recounts harrowing robbery
    The restaurant employee says the robber pointed the gun at her chest and pulled the trigger, but the weapon did not fire.

BY VERONICA GORLEY CHUFO | 757-247-4741
    1:42 PM EDT, September 8, 2008

SUFFOLK - Elizabeth Cordle thought she was going to die.

She said she felt the barrel of a gun press into her chest and heard the hooded robber pull the trigger. But the gun didn't go off. "It's something I will never forget," she testified Monday.

The man she said pulled the trigger was Deon Marcel Gatling, who's facing attempted malicious wounding, robbery and use of a firearm charges related to holding up Cordle at gunpoint June 21 outside a Taco Bell on Suffolk's North Main Street. Gatling, 19, of Greenville, N.C., is a former Taco Bell employee.

Cordle, a Taco Bell manager, drove through the restaurant's drive-through to pick up the estimated $4,100 deposit and take it to the bank around 9:30 a.m. She pulled up, grabbed the bag and was about to pull off when she realized someone else had a grip on the bag, she testified.

It happened in a split-second. She saw a hooded man outside her car window who pointed a gun at her. She dropped the money bag.

"He put the gun right in my chest, right here, and pulled the trigger," she told General District Court Judge James A. Moore. "The gun touched my chest. I heard a slap of metal on metal when he pulled the trigger, and I screamed."

When the gun didn't fire, Cordle sped away, she testified.

She dialed 911 and kept an eye on Gatling as he ran behind a shopping plaza. She got a better look at him when he pulled off the hood, she testified. She was followed by two or three other cars and someone on foot.

Gatling ran into the woods behind the Farm Fresh plaza, and police found him about 45 minutes later when someone spotted him trying to flee the woods. A Taco Bell bag with him was full of money, police said, and a loaded gun was found in the restaurant's parking lot.

The judge determined there was enough evidence for Gatling to stand trial. A grand jury will now consider the case.

http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-no...,5469236.story

Forgot to add link...

Post imported post

I posted this story because I believe it demonstrates the lunacy behind the mentality that cooperating with the bad guy will save your life.

Post imported post

Armed wrote:
    I posted this story because I believe it demonstrates the lunacy behind the mentality that cooperating with the bad guy will save your life.
    I find it hard to believe he was trying to protect his identity since he took his hood off before reaching concealment. It would rather seem he was just trying to get some street creds. Murder someone and you're a bad Mo Fo.

There's a video somewhere of a mexican (MS-13?), taken by a security camera, walking up behind a homeless man who was stumbling down the street unawares and just hits him in the head with a baseball bat, full swing. Killed the man. Why did he do that?

Post imported post

Indeed a harrowing experience. Missing some situational awareness on her part though?
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

Am I missing the attempted murder charge?

Post imported post

richarcm wrote:
    Am I missing the attempted murder charge?
    Apparently, we both are. I have no idea why they did not charge this **** with with attempted murder instead of attempted malicious wounding.

Post imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
    There's a video somewhere of a mexican (MS-13?), taken by a security camera, walking up behind a homeless man who was stumbling down the street unawares and just hits him in the head with a baseball bat, full swing. Killed the man. Why did he do that?
    I give up - why? Because he could? I can't stand these turds...

Post imported post

Armed wrote:
    Neplusultra wrote:
    I give up - why? Because he could? I can't stand these turds...
    The only understanding I have is street creds. Kill someone, you're a badass. Nobody focks with you after that.

Edit: Which is what makes this gratuitous attempted shooting seem reasonable. Lucky her he was using either a cheap gun or cheap ammo or just plain God was on her side.....

Post imported post

deepdiver wrote:
    Indeed a harrowing experience. Missing some situational awareness on her part though?
    You know, when we were dating I used to laugh at my husband when we would go to the drive up ATM and he would un-holster and put his gun in his lap. He would request that I 'keep my head on a swivel'. I thought he was sooo paranoid. But over the years, reading all the self defense articles I have begun to question every situation. If someone is walking up to my car for no reason, I find myself slipping my gun under my leg. Not in anticipation, I hope I never have to use it, but i just want to be prepared. I don't think I'm paranoid and I appreciate my husbands 'hyper vigilance' as he calls it, with regards to protecting our family.

I feel awful for that girl and I hope she thinks about taking her safety into her own hands from now on and does not swing the other way towards complete anti.