• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CPL Island County

ghosthunter

imported post

I know I saw a thread about this some where. I have a friend who wants to get his CPL. He lives in Island county. Is there a a better than other place for him to go? Or are they all the same?

Thanks in advance

Bear 45/70

imported post

ghosthunter wrote:
I know I saw a thread about this some where. I have a friend who wants to get his CPL. He lives in Island county. Is there a a better than other place for him to go? Or are they all the same?

Thanks in advance
Any Sheriff's sub-station or the main office. But Mt. Vernon isn't in Island County.

just_a_car

imported post

If your friend lives in the city, he has two options: City PD or Island County Sheriff.

If your friend lives in unincorporated county, he may only go to Island County Sheriff.

esstac

imported post

Where in Island county does he reside? The sheriff's Dept will be the best bet I think, but going to Whidbey Island to the actual sheriff's station will be the quickest way to apply.

Concealed Gun Permits-Sheriff Island county ... 679-7310
Give them a call, the Gal will help you get sqaured away.

Now my experiance getting a replacement copy(originaly issued in Snohomish county but with new residence I had to deal with Island county)
Living on Camano Island the choice is to hit the Sheriff sub station on the 1st or 3rd thursday? of the month when the volunteers are on hand specifically for this or drive through 2 other counties and go to the Main station. If I go the Camano route I have to wait 30 days to pick up my permit on one of the two days they are open for it. Even though the volunteers say you may come anytime after the permit has been mailed to the station the Deputies will not give it to you :X Even with 3 of them with the fingers up there butt in the station....... Not like having me sign my permit and sending me on my way would take longer then them explaining how it is not there job to do it. I chatted with the Gal who handles the permits on Whidbey and she was very helpful and even said I would have recieved my replacement copy quicker(same day) if I drove around to get it instead of geting the run around for almost 60 days.

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

esstac wrote:
Now my experiance getting a replacement copy(originaly issued in Snohomish county but with new residence I had to deal with Island county)
Living on Camano Island the choice is to hit the Sheriff sub station on the 1st or 3rd thursday? of the month when the volunteers are on hand specifically for this or drive through 2 other counties and go to the Main station. If I go the Camano route I have to wait 30 days to pick up my permit on one of the two days they are open for it. Even though the volunteers say you may come anytime after the permit has been mailed to the station the Deputies will not give it to you :X Even with 3 of them with the fingers up there butt in the station....... Not like having me sign my permit and sending me on my way would take longer then them explaining how it is not there job to do it. I chatted with the Gal who handles the permits on Whidbey and she was very helpful and even said I would have recieved my replacement copy quicker(same day) if I drove around to get it instead of geting the run around for almost 60 days.

How do they justify only taking applications on certain days given how the law reads?

RCW 9.41.070
(1) The chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a county shall within thirty days after the filing of an application of any person, issue a license to such person to carry a pistol concealed on his or her person within this state for five years from date of issue, for the purposes of protection or while engaged in business, sport, or while traveling. However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license. The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours.

esstac

imported post

My thoughts exactly, but. Its a Sheriff Sub station here, we dont warrant anything other with only 17k people or so :( There note on the door above the "No gun zone" states there a sub station and the door will remain locked yadda yadda.... but for an unmanned station it sure has allot of activity in it everyday with civvies coming and going for various reason and a nice front counter, just no one manning it other then Deputies.

The reasoning for the 1st and 3rd Thursday of each month only for CPLs is conveniance(so they say), if you want your CPL on any other day then the 1st and 3rd you need to go to the Main Station on Whidbey. Witch is pretty crappy having to drive 130 miles round trip when this Sherrif's station is only 3 miles down the road.

No I am not backing up there stance, as I think they should have at least 1 person manning the counter with all the traffic they get in a day. And the fact my CPL sat there for 2 and they refused to hand it out to me. Kept telling me they did not know if it was there(told when it shipped via Whidbey) And they couldn't be bothered to look in the inbox under the counter :banghead: Besides the 3 Sheriff's were more concerned with my empty holster then doing much else :?

If I knew more about it then I would have pushed farther, I already pushed the Gal who does it enough at that point and was pretty anoyed with my local Sheriff's I just waited for the next "Open CPL day"

joeroket

imported post

It may only be a sub-station but it is still part of the issuing authority. I would put a call into the Sheriff's office and let him know his Barney Fife's are violating state staute concerning the issuance of CPL's.

But then again they may determine that the issuing authority is only the main Sheriff's office.

jbone

imported post

My co-workers residence was just barley out of Oak Harbor to use the City PD, theyhad to go to Coupeville main Island County Sheriff Station.

badger54

imported post

ghosthunter wrote:

Thanks in advance
Where does your Friend live in Island County. If he lives in Oak Harbor they handle CPL applications on Tuesday and Thursday betwen 10:30am and 1:30pm (I think you can apply at any time but they only handle fingerprinting on those days). I think the Island county sheriffs main office in Coupville handles permit applications M-F 9:00am-3:30pm but I am not 100% on this as I got mine through Oak Harbor. Oak harbor uses livescan so their turnaround time might be faster, I had to wait 7 days after moving here a month before from the UK.