Thread: concealed or open, can i do both

Post imported post

I live in south west Va. and have had my CWP for about 5 years now but dont carry much. I have heard that if you have a CWP you have to carry concealed. can I also carry open?????

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

driver-mike wrote:
    I live in south west Va. and have had my CWP for about 5 years now but dont carry much. I have heard that if you have a CWP you have to carry concealed. can I also carry open?????
    Welcome aboard driver-mike!

Open carry is permitted in Virginia by virtue of no law forbidding it - if 18 yo and not otherwise excluded from having a weapon. No permit is required to OC.

It is the only way you can carry in a restaurant serving alcohol.

BTW - it is not a concealed weapon permit (CWP) although it was years ago. It is strictly a concealed handgun permit (CHP) in Virginia now.

If you have had your CHP for about 5 years maybe you might want to check the expiration date - it might be time to renew.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

driver-mike wrote:
    Welcome Driver-Mike!!!

Belowis a link to the VA statute on theConcealed Handgun Permit. If you read it carefully, you will see there is no obligation to conceal. Basically this idea seems to come from peoplewho objectto OC. Its foolishness, of course. It wouldmean, in so many words, that just because you decided to get a permit you renounced your right to OC.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-308
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    driver-mike wrote:
    Welcome Driver-Mike!!!

Belowis a link to the VA statute on theConcealed Handgun Permit. If you read it carefully, you will see there is no obligation to conceal. Basically this idea seems to come from peoplewho objectto OC. Its foolishness, of course. It wouldmean, in so many words, that just because you decided to get a permit you renounced your right to OC.

Actually the statute has almost nothing to do with OC without a permit - it is rather the absence of anything restricting it that leaves it legal.

The few times I have had interaction while OCing, I never brought up or responded to questions as to whether I had a CHP - I do. That had nothing to do with it.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Post imported post

Interestingly, my friend got his VA permit about 2 years ago and it says 'concealed weapons permit'. Mine is 3 years old and has 'handgun'. Go figure.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Rumor has it some localities in Virginia issued 8x11 sheets of paper with the permit printed on it.

Post imported post

longwatch wrote:
    Rumor has it some localities in Virginia issued 8x11 sheets of paper with the permit printed on it.
    chris in va
    "Interestingly, my friend got his VA permit about 2 years ago and it says 'concealed weapons permit'. Mine is 3 years old and has 'handgun'. Go figure."
    __________________________________________________ ____________________

Both size and reference to "permit to carry a concealed handgun permit" are clearly stated in the code. Note that nowhere in the present code wording does the phrase "concealed weapons permit" appear.

I definitely prefered the old code and the old wording but alas.....
    Any municipality using the incorrect style (not approved by the State Police) would seem to be in violation.

H.The permit to carry a concealed handgun shall specify only the following information: name, address, date of birth, gender, height, weight, color of hair, color of eyes, and signature of the permittee; the signature of the judge issuing the permit, or of the clerk of court who has been authorized to sign such permits by the issuing judge; and the date of issuance. The permit to carry a concealed handgun shall be no larger than two inches wide by three and one-fourth inches long and shall be of a uniform style prescribed by the Department of State Police. The person issued the permit shall have such permit on his person at all times during which he is carrying a concealed handgun and shall display the permit and a photo-identification issued by a government agency of the Commonwealth or by the United States Department of Defense or United States State Department (passport) upon demand by a law-enforcement officer.

It is interesting to note that the code does not specify including an issue date nor expiration date - but is probably covered by the phrase "uniform style prescribed" above.

If the State of Virginia ever gets around to funding life time permits, I want an 8X11, glossy, suitable for framing!

Yata hey

Post imported post

chris in va wrote:
    Interestingly, my friend got his VA permit about 2 years ago and it says 'concealed weapons permit'. Mine is 3 years old and has 'handgun'. Go figure.
    Welcome to OCDO - lots of good thoughts and people here.

Could you post a copy of your friends concealed weapons permit? If you can do so, black out the name, address and any file# first ! Would like to see this permit including the date on it. By whom was it issued?

Yata hey

Post imported post

I'll see what I can do.

Post imported post

I think what hes asking is, with the proper permit to conceal, can he, legally, Open Carry one pistol, and Conceal another, at the same time?

I believe you can. There is nothing in the Laws (At least in Michigan) that prohibit carrying both. If you have a CPL you can carry concealed. No permit is required to OC. So if you have your CPL in your possession, I believe you should be able to carry one (or more) concealed, and one (or more) Open.
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Yata hey
    Just out of plain old curiosity, what does this mean? And where did it come from?

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

Post imported post

Tucker6900 wrote:
    curiosity, what does this mean? And where did it come from?
    It's Lacota Souix - "it's a great day to die" literally.
    Very similar in many Native American dialects.

Used both as a war cry and and everyday greeting and salutation like "hi" or "have a nice day."

If you were able to choose between an extrememly bad day and a really great day, which would you select as your last day? Most would select the really good day. So through this convoluted process a great day to die is also a great day to live.

Much of the final meaning depends on the listener and the tone of voice in which it is delivered.

Yata hey

Post imported post

thanks, really appreciate the replies, I use to see OC more but not now! Im just a little nervous about doing it because the way people are now a-days. you know some one sees agun and their on the cell phone or maybe not . I could be worried for nothing!!!:?

Post imported post

driver-mike wrote:
    thanks, really appreciate the replies, I use to see OC more but not now! Im just a little nervous about doing it because the way people are now a-days. you know some one sees agun and their on the cell phone or maybe not . I could be worried for nothing!!!:?
    The problem is trying to reverse the image that the police are the only ones that carry guns. And thats where the education of not only our local LE agencies but their Dispatchers as well, comes in. If we could get them to ask a few simple questions about the MWAG, it would help.

Post imported post

chris in va wrote:
    I got my first permit back in 1985 and as I recall, it too stated "Concealed Weapons Permit".
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Post imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
    chris in va wrote:
    I got my first permit back in 1985 and as I recall, it too stated "Concealed Weapons Permit".
    When I first got my concealed weapons permit, I had to satisfy "them" that I had a genuine need (in their opinion), provide them with a list as to make, model, caliber and serial # (de facto registration?) as well as be personally be interviewed by Chesterfield PD - required their approval. Had to show them all of my certifications too.

The Lieutenant went nuts when he saw six handguns listed - wanted to know how many I was going to carry at the same time !! Told him that I didn't know which one or two I might carry on a given day, so to be safe I listed the most likely. BTW - I did get my permit. Thankfully things have improved a lot since then. Thank you VCDL.

Exception to improvement: A CWP holder back then could CC in a restaurant with an ABC -ON license.

Yata hey

Post imported post

It's Lacota Souix - "it's a great day to die" literally. Very similar in many Native American dialects.
    And apparently proof that the Klingons have indeed visited Earth.

Post imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
    It's Lacota Souix - "it's a great day to die" literally. Very similar in many Native American dialects.
    And apparently proof that the Klingons have indeed visited Earth.
    Some are still here and they walk amongst us.

Yata hey

Post imported post

In the state of wyoming it states concealed firearm permit on mine!

Post imported post

05 chopper wrote:
    In the state of wyoming it states concealed firearm permit on mine!
    Welcome aboard the OCDO express. Lots of good people and conversation here.
    Wyoming is a "Gold" OC state with no apparent minimum age restriction.

Yata hey

Post imported post

Thanks Grapeshot Looking forward to learning what i can here.

Post imported post

I just posted thisthought on the NC forum:

There is NO definition of the word "concealed" in the NC criminal code. So being "holstered" means it is the weapon is concealed from pubic view. There is no criminal code for improper "display" of a hand gun in NC, only if you "point" it at someone (Article 8, SS 14-34). I would argue that by default, NC is an OC state because it does not experessly prohibit OC.

Since I am a new member, if this field has been plowed before, please excuse me.

Post imported post

Dustoff wrote:
    I just posted thisthought on the NC forum:

There is NO definition of the word "concealed" in the NC criminal code. So being "holstered" means it is the weapon is concealed from pubic view. There is no criminal code for improper "display" of a hand gun in NC, only if you "point" it at someone (Article 8, SS 14-34). I would argue that by default, NC is an OC state because it does not experessly prohibit OC.

Since I am a new member, if this field has been plowed before, please excuse me.
    Welcome aboard OCDO.

In Va. OC is legal because there is no law forbidding it. Laws are generally negative - tell us what we cannot do except when specifically passed to counter an earlier version.

Old fields are tilled frequently by good stewards.

Yata hey

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Tucker6900 wrote:
    curiosity, what does this mean? And where did it come from?
    It's Lacota Souix - "it's a great day to die" literally.
    Very similar in many Native American dialects.

Used both as a war cry and and everyday greeting and salutation like "hi" or "have a nice day."

If you were able to choose between an extrememly bad day and a really great day, which would you select as your last day? Most would select the really good day. So through this convoluted process a great day to die is also a great day to live.

Much of the final meaning depends on the listener and the tone of voice in which it is delivered.

Yata hey

To send this thread a little farther off topic (sorry), I've also been curious about this...and haven't found any reference to it using various key words via google. Have any references you could share?

I did find this though "Ya Ta Say (Ya a teh) - greetings/ hello" from http://members.tripod.com/~Kayitah/page2.htmlbut I wouldn't call it acertified reference since it's just someone's tripod account.