• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

concealed or open, can i do both

driver-mike

imported post

I live in south west Va. and have had my CWP for about 5 years now but dont carry much. I have heard that if you have a CWP you have to carry concealed. can I also carry open?????:banghead:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

driver-mike wrote:
I live in south west Va. and have had my CWP for about 5 years now but dont carry much. I have heard that if you have a CWP you have to carry concealed. can I also carry open?????:banghead:
Welcome aboard driver-mike!

Open carry is permitted in Virginia by virtue of no law forbidding it - if 18 yo and not otherwise excluded from having a weapon. No permit is required to OC.

It is the only way you can carry in a restaurant serving alcohol.

BTW - it is not a concealed weapon permit (CWP) although it was years ago. It is strictly a concealed handgun permit (CHP) in Virginia now.

If you have had your CHP for about 5 years maybe you might want to check the expiration date - it might be time to renew.

Yata hey

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

driver-mike wrote:

Welcome Driver-Mike!!!

Belowis a link to the VA statute on theConcealed Handgun Permit. If you read it carefully, you will see there is no obligation to conceal. Basically this idea seems to come from peoplewho objectto OC. Its foolishness, of course. It wouldmean, in so many words, that just because you decided to get a permit you renounced your right to OC.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Citizen wrote:
driver-mike wrote:

Welcome Driver-Mike!!!

Belowis a link to the VA statute on theConcealed Handgun Permit. If you read it carefully, you will see there is no obligation to conceal. Basically this idea seems to come from peoplewho objectto OC. Its foolishness, of course. It wouldmean, in so many words, that just because you decided to get a permit you renounced your right to OC.

Actually the statute has almost nothing to do with OC without a permit - it is rather the absence of anything restricting it that leaves it legal.

The few times I have had interaction while OCing, I never brought up or responded to questions as to whether I had a CHP - I do. That had nothing to do with it.

Yata hey

chris in va

imported post

Interestingly, my friend got his VA permit about 2 years ago and it says 'concealed weapons permit'. Mine is 3 years old and has 'handgun'. Go figure.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Rumor has it some localities in Virginia issued 8x11 sheets of paper with the permit printed on it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

longwatch wrote:
Rumor has it some localities in Virginia issued 8x11 sheets of paper with the permit printed on it.
chris in va
"Interestingly, my friend got his VA permit about 2 years ago and it says 'concealed weapons permit'. Mine is 3 years old and has 'handgun'. Go figure."

Both size and reference to "permit to carry a concealed handgun permit" are clearly stated in the code. Note that nowhere in the present code wording does the phrase "concealed weapons permit" appear.

I definitely prefered the old code and the old wording but alas.....
Any municipality using the incorrect style (not approved by the State Police) would seem to be in violation.

H. The permit to carry a concealed handgun shall specify only the following information: name, address, date of birth, gender, height, weight, color of hair, color of eyes, and signature of the permittee; the signature of the judge issuing the permit, or of the clerk of court who has been authorized to sign such permits by the issuing judge; and the date of issuance. The permit to carry a concealed handgun shall be no larger than two inches wide by three and one-fourth inches long and shall be of a uniform style prescribed by the Department of State Police. The person issued the permit shall have such permit on his person at all times during which he is carrying a concealed handgun and shall display the permit and a photo-identification issued by a government agency of the Commonwealth or by the United States Department of Defense or United States State Department (passport) upon demand by a law-enforcement officer.

It is interesting to note that the code does not specify including an issue date nor expiration date - but is probably covered by the phrase "uniform style prescribed" above.

If the State of Virginia ever gets around to funding life time permits, I want an 8X11, glossy, suitable for framing! :lol:

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

chris in va wrote:
Interestingly, my friend got his VA permit about 2 years ago and it says 'concealed weapons permit'. Mine is 3 years old and has 'handgun'. Go figure.
Welcome to OCDO - lots of good thoughts and people here.

Could you post a copy of your friends concealed weapons permit? If you can do so, black out the name, address and any file# first ! Would like to see this permit including the date on it. By whom was it issued?

Yata hey

Tucker6900

imported post

I think what hes asking is, with the proper permit to conceal, can he, legally, Open Carry one pistol, and Conceal another, at the same time?

I believe you can. There is nothing in the Laws (At least in Michigan) that prohibit carrying both. If you have a CPL you can carry concealed. No permit is required to OC. So if you have your CPL in your possession, I believe you should be able to carry one (or more) concealed, and one (or more) Open.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Tucker6900 wrote:
curiosity, what does this mean? And where did it come from?
It's Lacota Souix - "it's a great day to die" literally.
Very similar in many Native American dialects.

Used both as a war cry and and everyday greeting and salutation like "hi" or "have a nice day."

If you were able to choose between an extrememly bad day and a really great day, which would you select as your last day? Most would select the really good day. So through this convoluted process a great day to die is also a great day to live.

Much of the final meaning depends on the listener and the tone of voice in which it is delivered.

Yata hey

driver-mike

imported post

thanks, really appreciate the replies, I use to see OC more but not now! Im just a little nervous about doing it because the way people are now a-days. you know some one sees agun and their on the cell phone or maybe not . I could be worried for nothing!!!:?

Tucker6900

imported post

driver-mike wrote:
thanks, really appreciate the replies, I use to see OC more but not now! Im just a little nervous about doing it because the way people are now a-days. you know some one sees agun and their on the cell phone or maybe not . I could be worried for nothing!!!:?
The problem is trying to reverse the image that the police are the only ones that carry guns. And thats where the education of not only our local LE agencies but their Dispatchers as well, comes in. If we could get them to ask a few simple questions about the MWAG, it would help.

ODA 226

imported post

chris in va wrote:
I got my first permit back in 1985 and as I recall, it too stated "Concealed Weapons Permit".

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
chris in va wrote:
I got my first permit back in 1985 and as I recall, it too stated "Concealed Weapons Permit".
When I first got my concealed weapons permit, I had to satisfy "them" that I had a genuine need (in their opinion), provide them with a list as to make, model, caliber and serial # (de facto registration?) as well as be personally be interviewed by Chesterfield PD - required their approval. Had to show them all of my certifications too.

The Lieutenant went nuts when he saw six handguns listed - wanted to know how many I was going to carry at the same time !! Told him that I didn't know which one or two I might carry on a given day, so to be safe I listed the most likely. BTW - I did get my permit. Thankfully things have improved a lot since then. Thank you VCDL.

Exception to improvement: A CWP holder back then could CC in a restaurant with an ABC -ON license.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
It's Lacota Souix - "it's a great day to die" literally. Very similar in many Native American dialects.
And apparently proof that the Klingons have indeed visited Earth.
Some are still here and they walk amongst us. :D

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

05 chopper wrote:
In the state of wyoming it states concealed firearm permit on mine!
Welcome aboard the OCDO express. Lots of good people and conversation here.
Wyoming is a "Gold" OC state with no apparent minimum age restriction.

Yata hey