Thread: Forearm holster?

Post imported post

So, this idea came up in discussion over the weekend: forearm-mounted holsters, similar to knives.

Ok, maybe that's not the BEST application of a forearm holster, but you get the basic idea.

I had a direction I was going with this thread, but I was distracted, and can no longer remember it....

So yeah, while I try and remember what I was going to go on about: Forearm holsters, good idea, or silly idea?

Also, inside the forearm or outside?

And yes, you're going to be covering a lot of things/people (or your self) with them. Try to look past that (or find a way to overcome said problem).
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States

Post imported post

IMHO a forearm holster, for most people, isn't a very good idea. Think about how much you use your arms and hands and what you use them for. I think it would get in the way too often and has the potential to be a major hazard to safe carry.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Post imported post

Well of course, it would mostly be for smaller guns anyway, just because the weight's a bit unwieldly.

Post imported post

Forearm slider holsters for small revolvers and derringers were around in the Old West and one was notably used in the movie Taxi Driver
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

Well, not really slide holsters, but forearm mounted conventional holsters.

That's still pretty awesome, though.

Post imported post

I think that a conventional forearm holster could make draw more difficult than necesary and if you were to use the slider-holster you'd give the media some good fuelfor the "old west" argument.

OTOH: It'd make it very difficult to try to steal an opencarried gun if it was attached at the forearm.

edit for grammatical error

Post imported post

I'd be too annoyed with all the 'Robocop' jokes people would toss my way. :P

More on point, I'd suspect that if this was a valuable carry technique for any measurable number of folks, they'd already be doing it. Personally it just strikes me that it would be tiresome and not at all handy in the course of my typical day.

Post imported post

True, I just felt like tossing the idea out there to see what people thought.

Post imported post

Desperado? Unless you've got forearms like Popeye, I'd imagine it be hard to conceal all but the smallest gun. Probably pretty unwieldy too, considering how much we use our arms and hands.