• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Forearm holster?

AbNo

imported post

So, this idea came up in discussion over the weekend: forearm-mounted holsters, similar to knives.

Ok, maybe that's not the BEST application of a forearm holster, but you get the basic idea.

I had a direction I was going with this thread, but I was distracted, and can no longer remember it....

So yeah, while I try and remember what I was going to go on about: Forearm holsters, good idea, or silly idea?

Also, inside the forearm or outside?

And yes, you're going to be covering a lot of things/people (or your self) with them. Try to look past that (or find a way to overcome said problem).

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

IMHO a forearm holster, for most people, isn't a very good idea. Think about how much you use your arms and hands and what you use them for. I think it would get in the way too often and has the potential to be a major hazard to safe carry.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Forearm slider holsters for small revolvers and derringers were around in the Old West and one was notably used in the movie Taxi Driver

Seif5034

imported post

I think that a conventional forearm holster could make draw more difficult than necesary and if you were to use the slider-holster you'd give the media some good fuelfor the "old west" argument.

OTOH: It'd make it very difficult to try to steal an opencarried gun if it was attached at the forearm.

edit for grammatical error

Brian D.

imported post

I'd be too annoyed with all the 'Robocop' jokes people would toss my way. :p

More on point, I'd suspect that if this was a valuable carry technique for any measurable number of folks, they'd already be doing it. Personally it just strikes me that it would be tiresome and not at all handy in the course of my typical day.

madcapmag

imported post

Desperado? Unless you've got forearms like Popeye, I'd imagine it be hard to conceal all but the smallest gun. Probably pretty unwieldy too, considering how much we use our arms and hands.