• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Disarmed, hassled by SPD

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Real quick, I'm using a borrowed machine...

I went to West Seattle today to stop at Capitol Loans to pick up a gunbroker auction item. (The description was wrong so I didn't buy it but that is another story.) I was OCing my Security Six and had my Kel Tec P32 in a shirt pocket.

So I was in the store and chatting with the staff there when two SPD walk in...

One officer told me to put my hands on the counter and proceeded to disarm me. Now the shop staff had NO problems with my OC. Someone had called the cops seeing me walking to the store.

The cop told me he didn't like standing next to someone and talking to them if they had a gun. He unloaded my revolver and looked kinda surprised at the .357 hollowpoints in it. I told him that I had a kel tec in my shirt pocket and he took that and emptied it as well.

I asked if I was being detained and they cops went out of their way to try and assure me that I wasn't going to be arrested, etc... We had some back and forth for a minute (I'll post more later) and despite repeatedly asking if I was being detained and being told I wasn't, I did not feel free to go.

The officer took down my ID info, and returned my guns to me unloaded. I told them I wanted them returned to me in the state they found them, and they refused. I got lectured about the "problems" of OC and was told they knew it was legal, etc...

The shop staff let me reload my guns in the store after the officers left.

Again I'll post more details tomorrow.

I would like to encourage anyone in the Seattle area who is looking for a gun to stop by Capitol Loans near Fauntleroy and Alaska in West Seattle, the gentlemen there were very nice and reasonable people.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Wow man that sucks. Really, do they have a right to disarm you if you are not doing anything illegal?

Also this sounds like they are giving you their own personal views on OC.

Pullmanite

imported post

If someone had 'cause to alarm', then the cops had the right to disarm you. Because WA law is dumb.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Pullmanite wrote:
If someone had 'cause to alarm', then the cops had the right to disarm you. Because WA law is dumb.
Wrong. A holstered weapon does not qualify under RCW 9.41.270. Also you can't just take part of what the law says but all of it.

"..........in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons."

David.Car

imported post

Pullmanite wrote:
Welcome to the forum, but take some time to read up on the laws. Your view is incorrect and part of the problem with how LEO are reacting to OCers

Rattrapper

imported post

SUE SUE SUE!!!! When you were told to perform those functions that allowed the police to disarm you YOU WERE SEIZED! your freedom to continue on your way was denied by actions of the government. They can say anything they want, no violation of law was observed. Thus the mere presence of firearm does not mean a violation of law is taking place. I am a cop and I am tired of the B.S. that is going on with cops using intimidation tactics to keep use from enjoying our rights. The 2 cops need to be sued individually as well as thier supervisors and chief. Using the words "Failure to Train, Failure to Supervise, and Deliberent Indifference"

I am not sue crazy, but I have learned over the 27+ years that they only learn when some one take money out of thier pocket. Then they get it.

David.Car

imported post

I think the best course of action during this illegal seizure would have been to keep pushing the detainment question.

"Am I being detained?"

"No"

"Than return my property to me now, and leave me alone, this interaction is over."

Rattrapper

imported post

You don't have to question,"Am I being detained?" the force used by the government. Is in itself the answer.

Rattrapper

imported post

From the words used in the report as writtenby the starter of this thread, There was no time not to comply, as everything was directed as "Command Control" or "Official Tone of Voice" Thus being SIEZED!!!

Bear 45/70

imported post

Rattrapper wrote:
From the words used in the report as writtenby the starter of this thread, There was no time not to comply, as everything was directed as "Command Control" or "Official Tone of Voice" Thus being SIEZED!!!
FYI, this is not the first time for sv_libertarian to have been hasseled and disarmedby cops. Twice in Olympia and when he and his lawyer, Randy Loun were thru with them there was a training bulletin on the subject and no more harrassment of OCers.

Wheelgunner

imported post

First, SV glad you are OK!

The cop told me he didn't like standing next to someone and talking to them if they had a gun.

Wow, this cop needs serious counseling. Why would he even get into LE if this is his attitude? Very Sad.

Now about SV's rights......

Triple Tap

imported post

Wheelgunner wrote:
First, SV glad you are OK!

The cop told me he didn't like standing next to someone and talking to them if they had a gun.

Wow, this cop needs serious counseling. Why would he even get into LE if this is his attitude? Very Sad.

Now about SV's rights......
Sure seems to convey "them vs. Us" doesn't it? True, Very sad.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Don't forget to FOIA the 911 tapes if Washington allows that. The officer doesn't have to give you the reason for the stop and could well have been lying. However, the assurances that you wouldn't be arrested seem possibly suspicious, depending on the timing of when it was said.