• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

[Article] Gun sales brisk ahead of election

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Gun sales brisk ahead of election

http://www.marshallnewsmessenger.com/news/content/news/stories/2008/08/090608_web_guns.html

By Jamaal E. O'Neal, Cox East Texas
Friday, September 05, 2008
Gun sales are going boom around the country as gun owners and gun advocates brace for a potential Democrat in the White House for the first time in almost 10 years.

Democrats, meanwhile, say there's no reason to worry that presidential hopeful Barack Obama would attempt to curtail access to most guns, though that hasn't stopped the buying spree.

"You'd be surprised," said Jeff Mercer, manager of George's Pawn and Gun Shop on High Street. "It's people of all races, too. People are scared."

Across town at The Gun Doctor and More on Glencrest Lane, owner Bob Godell said he has also noticed a similar trend.

"We call it the Obama factor. People are very concerned that if a Democrat is elected they will see more restrictions on handguns and assault rifles." Godell said. "I think as a result of that we have seen steady handgun sales, and there's been an increase in the sale of assault rifles like AK-47s, as well."

Gregg County Republican Party Chairman Keith Rothra said Obama's support for gun control has made some Republicans leery.

"Barack Obama seems to think that we'd be safer if people didn't have handguns, and that's false," Rothra said. "I have heard several people say they are going to buy handguns as a just-in-case thing because they don't know what's going to happen."
Rothra said Obama's interpretation of the Second Amendment is faltering and concerning to many of Rothra's political colleagues.

"Obama says that he's in favor of people bearing arms, but its contrary to his voting record," Rothra said. "He's been anti-gun during his entire voting record."

According to Obama's platform, "he respects the constitutional rights of Americans to bear arms."

During his nomination acceptance speech at the Democratic National Convention in Denver, he expressed support for measures that would ban certain assault weapons from American streets.

"The reality of gun ownership may be different from hunters in rural Ohio than they are for those plagued by gang violence in Cleveland, but don't tell me we can't uphold the Second Amendment while keeping AK-47s out of the hand of criminals," Obama said.

Patrick Franklin, a spokesman for the Gregg County Democratic Party, said Obama is not going to take away a person's right to bear arms, and calls the claim a typical Republican tactic to scare gun owners.

"Republicans used the same tactic in 1992 when Bill Clinton ran for office," Franklin said. "Barack Obama is not going to take people's gun rights away. That's not his intention."

Franklin supports Obama's position on assault-style rifles.

"There's soon going to be a discussion in this country about automatic weapons," Franklin said. "I think people would agree having an AK-47 on the streets is something that needs to be regulated."

National results

The National Rifle Association has not collected recent data on how many states are seeing a spike in handgun sales; however, many members are reporting the increase.
"We're seeing similar results from around the country, not in just one particular state," said Ashley Varner, National Rifle Association spokesperson. "When you have someone like Barack Obama who is so anti-gun, you tend to see trends like these."
The rifle association launched a new Web site called http://www.gunbanobama.com on Tuesday, which highlights the Illinois Senator's gun voting record.

"He's received an "F" on a lot of gun issues," Varner said. "I think people stand united behind their right to bear arms under the Second Amendment, which is why some gun sales may have increased."

Business as usual

While gun sales are on the increase across the region, other local industries have not reported any new economic trends as a result of the pending presidential election.
Auto dealers and economic development officials, for example, say sales and inquires about locating and expanding businesses continues.

Thomas Kemper, a financial advisor with Wachovia Securities, said most presidential elections do not sway economic trends.

"Looking over the last 60 years, it usually depends on the health of the individual company," Kemper said. "There doesn't appear to be a whole lot of correlation between the parties and the economy."

WHERE THEY STAND
Barack Obama

On Obama's campaign Web site, Obama said he respects the constitutional rights of Americans to bear arms.
During a February 15 press conference, Obama stated, "I think there is an individual right to bear arms, but it's subject to commonsense regulation."

He initially voiced support of Washington, D.C.'s handgun ban. Following the Supreme Court decision on the ban, he voiced support of the decision overturning the law, saying, "Today's decision reinforces that if we act responsibly, we can both protect the constitutional right to bear arms and keep our communities and our children safe."

John McCain

According to McCain's presidential Web site, he believes that the right of law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is a fundamental, individual Constitutional right that we have a sacred duty to protect.

McCain further adds that gun control is a proven failure in fighting crime, and law abiding citizens should not be asked to give up their rights because of criminals who ignore gun control laws anyway.

Sources: Washington Post, Chicago Tribune, USA Today, http://www.barackobama.com, http://www.johnmccain.com

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I've definitely seen this effect in my area, I wonder if Obama would quit if he knew how many guns he was putting out on the street.
:celebrate

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

I bought several "assault" (sic) weapons in the past six months, the bulk of these Kalashnikov style rifles (unfortunately these were the ones I lost at sea). The main impetus for these purchases is the rising cost of ammo. .223 is more expensive than 7.62x39, but another side to these purchases is the chance that B. Hussein Obama might become President.

"Republicans used the same tactic in 1992 when Bill Clinton ran for office," Franklin said. "Barack Obama is not going to take people's gun rights away. That's not his intention."

Wasn't the AWB developed and implemented under BIll's watch, Mr. Franklin?

Orygunner

imported post

Democrats, meanwhile, say there's no reason to worry that presidential hopeful Barack Obama would attempt to curtail access to most guns, though that hasn't stopped the buying spree.
:shock:Oh, well I'm so happy he won't curtail access to MOST guns. :uhoh:
Patrick Franklin, a spokesman for the Gregg County Democratic Party, said Obama is not going to take away a person's right to bear arms, and calls the claim a typical Republican tactic to scare gun owners.

Yeah, voted Slick Willy in (thanks to Perot) and 2 years later he signed the AWB, that TOOK PEOPLE'S GUN RIGHTS AWAY.

Oh well, Obama's gonna lose this election anyway, and I just HOPE (heheheh) it's a landslide victory.

...Why do I find myself chuckling whenever I say "hope" or "change" anymore?...
...Orygunner...

yeahYeah

imported post

When $ comes available, i am going to get another AK and another handgun.

My love is WW2 era rifles, but those have less chance of being banned then an AK/AR, etc.

I'm sending away for my C&R FFL so i can bypass FFL's and all when i cant to buy older rifles.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The American people are afraid of this guy.

America's actions shows me two things, one- Americans thinks BOhas a good chance of winning the election, Two- If there is enough people afraid of this guy taking our guns and rights away ( as shown by the increases of gun sales), then he just may not win the election.

I wounder how he feels by people running out to buy guns now that he is running for office

yeahYeah

imported post

Alwayspacking wrote:

America's actions shows me two things, one- Americans thinks BOhas a good chance of winning the election, Two- If there is enough people afraid of this guy taking our guns and rights away ( as shown by the increases of gun sales), then he just may not win the election.

I wounder how he feels by people running out to buy guns now that he is running for office
also, prices will go up if demand increase, esp. in the face of potential bans.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

yeahYeah wrote:
Alwayspacking wrote:

also, prices will go up if demand increase, esp. in the face of potential bans.
YEP As I was reading this I was thinking the SAME THING

Legba

imported post

I have definitely not noticed this "trend" at my shop. Would that it were so. If anything, sales are slightly down from last year, owing to the real or imagined state of the economy. I've heard a lot of talk about what might happen, but unless either party gets a super-majority in Congress, then they won't have impunity to change the laws (the president has very little power over legislation). Peak season for gun sales - locally anyway - is fall and winter, so it ought to pick up by the time the next person is sworn in, but that will probably just be the natural cycle ofdemand.

-ljp

yeahYeah

imported post

At the gun shows here, the real insanity is with the ammo vendors. I'm actually preferring to stock up on ammo, as it would be easier for the anti's to go after that.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

yeahYeah wrote:
At the gun shows here, the real insanity is with the ammo vendors. I'm actually preferring to stock up on ammo, as it would be easier for the anti's to go after that.
True. I'm seeing a lot more interest in ammunition due to the microstamping. However, the interest is less on ready-made cartridges and more on handloading equipment.That is, I think, because of local rumor that if microstamping is mandated at the Federal level, ammo stocks owned by anyone, civilian or business, must be forfeited. Thus, it's less about accumulating stocks of ammo that may be confiscated, and more about procuring the means to make ammo so you don't need a large stock.

yeahYeah

imported post

Liko81 wrote:
yeahYeah wrote:
True. I'm seeing a lot more interest in ammunition due to the microstamping. However, the interest is less on ready-made cartridges and more on handloading equipment.That is, I think, because of local rumor that if microstamping is mandated at the Federal level, ammo stocks owned by anyone, civilian or business, must be forfeited. Thus, it's less about accumulating stocks of ammo that may be confiscated, and more about procuring the means to make ammo so you don't need a large stock.
and do they/we think that will really happen?

they will target ammo because the heller case put them cool on their heels. No bullets, no shooting. Because the AK is evil and has a mind of it's own, they will go for the "assault" type ammo such as a 7.62x39 first.

Slayer of Paper

imported post

I know I plan on buying both an AR and an AK before the end of the year- hopefully before the election, since if Obama wins, prices will probably increase a lot more. I'll also buy as many high capacity (more than 10) mags as I can afford, for multiple weapons.

AbNo

imported post

Actually, I'm looking to get a couple of lower receivers, but I can't decide on options.

We need a thread for this.

*runs over and starts a new thread*

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

It is for this reason alone that I bought a Taurus PT92 with the 17 round magazines. Yes that's right, Obama. Every time I reload that pistol, I have 17 more rounds to "play" with.

yeahYeah

imported post

stocking up on ammo and guns is great...but don't forget replacement parts. if there is a total ban, gas tubes and actions for my AK would get VERY expensive.

Thundar

imported post

yeahYeah wrote:
stocking up on ammo and guns is great...but don't forget replacement parts. if there is a total ban, gas tubes and actions for my AK would get VERY expensive.

Don't forget:

Reload gear, especially for reallyevil rounds like the .50BMG and the 7.62x39 for the AK. Wait almost all rifle rounds are "armor piercing" (soft anti handgun body armor worn by police)

Reload supplies - will be much harder to get, including powder.