Thread: Washington County Fair Posted

Post imported post

To my amazement my county fairgrounds are posted now, I’m thinking this is the first year they had signs up, as I know for sure they didn’t 2 years ago because I carried every day.

They had a sign about being subject to search at anytime and that you were under security camera surveillance as well

Just like the Creeper Trail ....the camera signs remind me of Hidden Valley...ughs is it really that bad around here?

Post imported post

kf4uel wrote:
    To my amazement my county fairgrounds are posted now, I’m thinking this is the first year they had signs up, as I know for sure they didn’t 2 years ago because I carried every day.

They had a sign about being subject to search at anytime and that you were under security camera surveillance as well

Just like the Creeper Trail ....the camera signs remind me of Hidden Valley...ughs is it really that bad around here?
    Why do they want people to bring their cap and ball pistols (cap and ball pistols are not firearms)?
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitableand let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come . PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

I'll just open carry my Rambo knife.

Now...to go out and even get one of those knives...:P

Post imported post

I thought a firearm specified by the state of Virginia is a pistol with over 20 rounds? In that case, I think that sign has a loop hole.

Post imported post

the Creeper Trail is posted ?

A bicycle trail is posted "no firearms" ?

The trail is on public and private property. yes?

Post imported post

Post imported post

doug23838 wrote:
    the Creeper Trail is posted ?

A bicycle trail is posted "no firearms" ?

The trail is on public and private property. yes?
    I was told by John and Philip that it is known that the "No Firearms" signs are not enforceable.

At least the part in Abingdon. I have carried there often.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

If this is county property, they are in violation of state preemption.

This bears looking into by someone that has local fact finding ability.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Capital Improvements Program for Washington County Fair (Kenneth Reynolds, President

& Gary Dutton, Board of Directors)

Kenneth Reynolds, President of the Burley Tobacco Festival & Farm Show, Inc., and Gary

Dutton, member of the Board of Directors for the organization, spoke regarding the proposed

capital improvements program for the Washington County Fairgrounds. The Board of Directors

is requesting funding from Washington County for approximately 25% of the estimated cost

which would entail County monies of $100,000 for Phase I, $70,000 for Phase II, and $30,000

for Phase III. The remaining 75% required for the improvements will be obtained through fund

raising projects and possibly a small bank loan.

Of concern to the Supervisors was that the requested money of $100,000 for Phase I was not

budgeted for this fiscal year. Mr. Reeter addressed this concern by advising that a supplemental

appropriation from reserve for contingency could be done now in the amount of $50,000. After

a review of the County
    =s preliminary audit is available, the amount of uncommitted reserves could

be confirmed and the County could then determine if the remaining $50,000 would be available

this fiscal year.

On motion of Mr. Osborne, second by Mrs. Mumpower, it was resolved to appropriate $50,000

from reserve for contingencies to assist with capital improvement projects at the Washington

County Fairgrounds.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

kf4uel wrote:

The sign as written is perfectly legal. Read the bottom of it. It reads "Private Property of washington county fairground inc."

The question is is the property that is called the county fairgrounds publicly or privately owned?

Post imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
    The question is is the property that is called the county fairgrounds publicly or privately owned?
    My point precisely. Signs can say/imply anything.
    If in fact the county owns the property, the sign is trumped by preemption.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    67GT390FB wrote:

Yata hey
    correct. if WCF,Inc runs the fair but the county owns the property then pre-emption applies. if WCF,Inc both owns the land and operates the fair then we are sol.

If it is a public/private venture then I don't know the answer.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    67GT390FB wrote:

Yata hey
    correct. if WCF,Inc runs the fair but the county owns the property then pre-emption applies. if WCF,Inc both owns the land and operates the fair then we are sol.

If it is a public/private venture then I don't know the answer.

You can call the Commissioner of Revenue to be sure, but it looks like the Corporation owns the land.

From their website"

http://www.washcofair.com/History.htm

As the Fair grew, the directors began to dream and plan. Seventy acres of land was purchased in 1975 just west of Abingdon and financed by the owner to provide housing for the Annual Burley Tobacco Festival and Farm Show. The present fairground is an outgrowth of the Annual Tobacco Festival. The Board employed Virginia Tech to work on a long range plan for the Fairground in 1976. The Fairground Development Campaign Committee was formed in 1977 to raise $150,000 to construct a 45,000 sq. ft. exhibit building, develop roads and install utilities. One hundred thousand dollars was raised toward building and development of land. The operating name of the project was “Washington County Fair and Tobacco Festival.”

Post imported post

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]CORPORATEDATAINQUIRY[/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]CORPID: 0076063-7[/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]STATUS:00ACTIVESTATUSDATE:03/01/76[/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]CORPNAME: Washington County Fairground, Inc.[/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]DATEOFCERTIFICATE:09/13/1956[/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]PERIODOFDURATION:INDUSTRYCODE:00[/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]STATEOFINCORPORATION:VAVIRGINIA[/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]STOCKINDICATOR:NNON-STOCK[/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]MERGERIND:CONVERSION/DOMESTICATIONIND:[/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]GOODSTANDINGIND:YMONITORINDICATOR:[/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]CHARTERFEE:CASENO:CASESTATUS:HEARINGDTE:[/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]R/ANAMEOROTHYB.BOUCHER[/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"][/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]STREET:188E.MAINSTREETARRTNMAIL:[/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"][/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]CITY:ABINGDONSTATE:VAZIP:24210[/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]R/ASTATUS:4ATTORNEYEFF.DATE:04/30/80LOC.:195[/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]ACCEPTEDAR#:207730549DATE:09/27/07WASHINGTONCOUN[/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]CURRENTAR#:207730549DATE:09/27/07STATUS:AASSESSMENTINDICATOR:0[/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]YEARFEESPENALTYINTERESTTAXESBALANCETOTALSHARES[/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]0825.00[/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]25.00[/font]

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:

Capital Improvements Program for Washington County Fair (Kenneth Reynolds, President

& Gary Dutton, Board of Directors)

Kenneth Reynolds, President of the Burley Tobacco Festival & Farm Show, Inc., and Gary

Dutton, member of the Board of Directors for the organization, spoke regarding the proposed

capital improvements program for the Washington County Fairgrounds. The Board of Directors

is requesting funding from Washington County for approximately 25% of the estimated cost

which would entail County monies of $100,000 for Phase I, $70,000 for Phase II, and $30,000

for Phase III. The remaining 75% required for the improvements will be obtained through fund

raising projects and possibly a small bank loan.

Of concern to the Supervisors was that the requested money of $100,000 for Phase I was not

budgeted for this fiscal year. Mr. Reeter addressed this concern by advising that a supplemental

appropriation from reserve for contingency could be done now in the amount of $50,000. After

a review of the County
    =s preliminary audit is available, the amount of uncommitted reserves could

be confirmed and the County could then determine if the remaining $50,000 would be available

this fiscal year.

On motion of Mr. Osborne, second by Mrs. Mumpower, it was resolved to appropriate $50,000

from reserve for contingencies to assist with capital improvement projects at the Washington

County Fairgrounds.
    WHY would the county give a private company money like this, does this make any difference? I don't think it does. If the county gives them money then I would like $50,000 when I need my private drive way repaved, what would be the difference??

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

The fairgrounds are owned and operated by the “[size=BURLEY TOBACCO FEST & FARM SHOW INC” ][/size]
    It is not owned by Washington County Board of Supervisors.
    Thanks,
    Christy
    Christianne E. Parker, CEcD
    Assistant County Administrator/
    Community and Economic Development
    205 Academy Drive
    Abingdon, VA 24210
    Phone: (276) 525-1305
    Fax: (276) 525-1309
    www.washcova.com
    [size= ][/size]
    Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 1:52 PM
    To: Christianne E. Parker, CEcD
    Subject: Washington County Fairgrounds?

[size=]Hi..[/size]
    Can you tell me if the fairgroungs are public property or privately owned?
    Thanks,
    Ed Levine
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

BURLEY TOBACCO FEST & FARM SHOW INC. is a charitable organization.
    http://tinyurl.com/3jp2d3

Looks like time to me to send some letters. No email address found.

BURLEY TOBACCO FESTIVAL AND FARM SHOW
    PO BOX 711
    ABINGDON, VA
    24212-0711

Phone # (276) 628-6222

Yata hey

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

http://www.washcova.com/departments/bos/supervisors.php

Looks like Ken Renolds, the president, is ALSO on the BOS.

That is his email address for county business.
    Thanks,
    Christy
    Christianne E. Parker, CEcD Assistant County Administrator/
    Community and Economic Development
    205 Academy Drive
    Abingdon, VA 24210
    Phone: (276) 525-1305
    Fax: (276) 525-1309
    www.washcova.com
    [size= ][/size]
    Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2008 4:16 PM
    To: Christianne E. Parker, CEcD
    Subject: Re: Washington County Fairgrounds?

Thanks.. but Supervisor Ken Reynolds is one in the same as the president of the Burley Tobacco Fest and farm Show?
    Can he be reached at kreynolds@washcova.com?
    Thanks
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

Email sent to kreynolds@washcova.com
    __________________________________________________ _________________

I write to you in both your capacity as the President of the Burley Tobacco Festival and Farm Showand as a member of the Board of Supervisors. Please advise me if I am in error as to either of these positions.

Certain signage has appeared at the site of the Washington County Fairgrounds that is very distressing. Please see attachment.

This sign restricts law abiding citizens from the right to self-defense. This has never been the case before this year and I am quite sure that you have never had a serious problem because of past rules. Such rules only disarm your honest constituants not those with criminal intent. May I suggest an alternate wording, sir. NO ILLEGAL WEAPONS ALLOWED This small but important change will deliver your message but leave honest citizens as they have always been in the past. As visitors and guests at the fair who simply enjoy the festivities without incident. I look forward to your reply.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Yata hey

Post imported post

Since the Fairground owners have received public funds that may be the way to get the Town council to get the owners to remove the sign.

When is the next Town council meeting?
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

This is the first in a long series of fights.

A few decades ago private businesses began reduction in force exercises by sub-contracting and outsourcing everything from payroll, to security, shipping, etc. Now local government is getting in on the business and they have begin to do exactly the same.

In our lifetime we will watch as many "public" operations become quasi-private and we are left scratching out heads as to if this property is in fact public or private.

Case in point: Verizon Wireless Virginia Beach Amphitheater - Virginia Beach owns the land but has a long term lease with a private company that manages the property.

We need to nip this in the bud this next legislative session!

I just want to know why this "private" company is handed public money...something stinks and I bet with enough digging we could figure out exactly what it going on.

http://netgis.washcova.com/

PARCEL_NO 103-A-90
    ACC_NO
    MAG_DIST HA
    NAME
    BURLEY TOBACCO FEST & FARM SHOW INC
    ADDRESS_1

ADDRESS_2
    ADDRESS_3
    ZIP 0
    DESC_1
    ACR 43.66
    DESC_2

DESC_3
    PLAT_BOOK 0000
    PLAT_PAGE
    USE_VALUE
    LAND_VALUE
    IMP_VALUE
    DEED_BOOK
    DEED_PAGE
    SALE_AMNT
    ACREAGE
    SALE_DATE
    GRANTOR

INST_TYPE
    INST_YEAR
    INST_NO0
    INST_SUFF

YEAR 0
    HEAT_TYPE
    NONE
    FUEL_TYPE
    NONE
    AIR_COND

WATER NONE
    SEWER

GAS NO
    ELECTRIC
    YES
    TERRAIN
    LAND_CHAR ROLLING/SLOPING
    OCCUPIED
    EXEMPT
    SALE_NO
    BOOKPAGE

ZONING description not found / Agricultural, General

Post imported post

What I find very interesting is thatKenneth Reynolds, President of Burley Tobacco Festival & Farm Show, Inc. is apparently the same Kenneth O. Renyolds that serves as the Chairman of the Washington County Board of Supervisors.

Now of what little I know of non-profit organizations is that salaries are part of overhead in determining your net or non-profit status. How much salary does he draw from the Festival & Farm Show, did he vote or apply pressure for others to vote for the "grant" money from the county? Might be a conflict of interest here - don't know - but like grandpa used to say, "Smells a little strange."

Maybe he donates his services to the county and the Festival & Farm Show.

What does all of this have to do with OC? It seems to be more of our elite leaders telling us that only their minions shall carry self-defense tools. The common men (citizens) will have to proceed at their own risk.

I'm really having a problem seperating Ken Reynolds (BOS chairman) with Ken Reynolds (President of the Festival & Farm Show) knowing that so much money went from one pocket to the other. Anybody else see it this way? Where does one hat begin and the other end regarding loyalties and duties to the citizens?

Hope that an interested citizen of Washington County will at least check this out in greater detail.

Yata hey