• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washington County Fair Posted

Renegade

imported post

This is the first in a long series of fights.

A few decades ago private businesses began reduction in force exercises by sub-contracting and outsourcing everything from payroll, to security, shipping, etc. Now local government is getting in on the business and they have begin to do exactly the same.

In our lifetime we will watch as many "public" operations become quasi-private and we are left scratching out heads as to if this property is in fact public or private.

Case in point: Verizon Wireless Virginia Beach Amphitheater - Virginia Beach owns the land but has a long term lease with a private company that manages the property.

We need to nip this in the bud this next legislative session!

I just want to know why this "private" company is handed public money...something stinks and I bet with enough digging we could figure out exactly what it going on.

http://netgis.washcova.com/

PARCEL_NO 103-A-90
ACC_NO
MAG_DIST HA
NAME
BURLEY TOBACCO FEST & FARM SHOW INC
ADDRESS_1

ADDRESS_2
ADDRESS_3
ZIP 0
DESC_1
ACR 43.66
DESC_2

DESC_3
PLAT_BOOK 0000
PLAT_PAGE
USE_VALUE
LAND_VALUE
IMP_VALUE
DEED_BOOK
DEED_PAGE
SALE_AMNT
ACREAGE
SALE_DATE
GRANTOR

INST_TYPE
INST_YEAR
INST_NO0
INST_SUFF

YEAR 0
HEAT_TYPE
NONE
FUEL_TYPE
NONE
AIR_COND

WATER NONE
SEWER

GAS NO
ELECTRIC
YES
TERRAIN
LAND_CHAR ROLLING/SLOPING
OCCUPIED
EXEMPT
SALE_NO
BOOKPAGE

ZONING description not found / Agricultural, General

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

What I find very interesting is that Kenneth Reynolds, President of Burley Tobacco Festival & Farm Show, Inc. is apparently the same Kenneth O. Renyolds that serves as the Chairman of the Washington County Board of Supervisors.

Now of what little I know of non-profit organizations is that salaries are part of overhead in determining your net or non-profit status. How much salary does he draw from the Festival & Farm Show, did he vote or apply pressure for others to vote for the "grant" money from the county? Might be a conflict of interest here - don't know - but like grandpa used to say, "Smells a little strange."

Maybe he donates his services to the county and the Festival & Farm Show.

What does all of this have to do with OC? It seems to be more of our elite leaders telling us that only their minions shall carry self-defense tools. The common men (citizens) will have to proceed at their own risk.

I'm really having a problem seperating Ken Reynolds (BOS chairman) with Ken Reynolds (President of the Festival & Farm Show) knowing that so much money went from one pocket to the other. Anybody else see it this way? Where does one hat begin and the other end regarding loyalties and duties to the citizens?

Hope that an interested citizen of Washington County will at least check this out in greater detail.

Yata hey