• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washington County Fair Posted

kf4uel@yahoo.com

imported post

To my amazement my county fairgrounds are posted now, I’m thinking this is the first year they had signs up, as I know for sure they didn’t 2 years ago because I carried every day.

fair.jpg

They had a sign about being subject to search at anytime and that you were under security camera surveillance as well

Just like the Creeper Trail ....the camera signs remind me of Hidden Valley...ughs is it really that bad around here?

Thundar

imported post

kf4uel wrote:
To my amazement my county fairgrounds are posted now, I’m thinking this is the first year they had signs up, as I know for sure they didn’t 2 years ago because I carried every day.

fair.jpg

They had a sign about being subject to search at anytime and that you were under security camera surveillance as well

Just like the Creeper Trail ....the camera signs remind me of Hidden Valley...ughs is it really that bad around here?
Why do they want people to bring their cap and ball pistols (cap and ball pistols are not firearms)?

nova

imported post

I'll just open carry my Rambo knife.

Now...to go out and even get one of those knives...:p

Mingram

imported post

I thought a firearm specified by the state of Virginia is a pistol with over 20 rounds? In that case, I think that sign has a loop hole.

doug23838

imported post

the Creeper Trail is posted ?

A bicycle trail is posted "no firearms" ?

The trail is on public and private property. yes?

possumboy

imported post

doug23838 wrote:
the Creeper Trail is posted ?

A bicycle trail is posted "no firearms" ?

The trail is on public and private property. yes?

I was told by John and Philip that it is known that the "No Firearms" signs are not enforceable.

At least the part in Abingdon. I have carried there often.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

If this is county property, they are in violation of state preemption.

This bears looking into by someone that has local fact finding ability.

Yata hey

Marco

imported post

[align=left]http://www.washcova.com/departments/bos/archives/minutes/1998-08-11_m.pdf
pg.3 item 6[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]6
[font=TimesNewRoman,Bold][font=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Capital Improvements Program for Washington County Fair [/font][/font][font=TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic][font=TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic](Kenneth Reynolds, President[/align]
[align=left]& Gary Dutton, Board of Directors)[/align]
[/font][/font]
[align=left]Kenneth Reynolds, President of the Burley Tobacco Festival & Farm Show, Inc., and Gary[/align]
[align=left]Dutton, member of the Board of Directors for the organization, spoke regarding the proposed[/align]
[align=left]capital improvements program for the Washington County Fairgrounds. The Board of Directors[/align]
[align=left]is requesting funding from Washington County for approximately 25% of the estimated cost[/align]
[align=left]which would entail County monies of $100,000 for Phase I, $70,000 for Phase II, and $30,000[/align]
[align=left]for Phase III. The remaining 75% required for the improvements will be obtained through fund[/align]
[align=left]raising projects and possibly a small bank loan.[/align]
[align=left]Of concern to the Supervisors was that the requested money of $100,000 for Phase I was not[/align]
[align=left]budgeted for this fiscal year. Mr. Reeter addressed this concern by advising that a supplemental[/align]
[align=left]appropriation from reserve for contingency could be done now in the amount of $50,000. After[/align]
[align=left]a review of the County
=s preliminary audit is available, the amount of uncommitted reserves could[/align]
[align=left]be confirmed and the County could then determine if the remaining $50,000 would be available[/align]
[align=left]this fiscal year.[/align]
[font=TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic][font=TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic]
[align=left]On motion of Mr. Osborne, second by Mrs. Mumpower, it was resolved to appropriate $50,000[/align]
[align=left]from reserve for contingencies to assist with capital improvement projects at the Washington[/align]
County Fairgrounds.
[/font][/font]

67GT390FB

imported post

kf4uel wrote:

fair.jpg

The sign as written is perfectly legal. Read the bottom of it. It reads "Private Property of washington county fairground inc."

The question is is the property that is called the county fairgrounds publicly or privately owned?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
The question is is the property that is called the county fairgrounds publicly or privately owned?
My point precisely. Signs can say/imply anything.
If in fact the county owns the property, the sign is trumped by preemption.

Yata hey

67GT390FB

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
67GT390FB wrote:

Yata hey

correct. if WCF,Inc runs the fair but the county owns the property then pre-emption applies. if WCF,Inc both owns the land and operates the fair then we are sol.

If it is a public/private venture then I don't know the answer.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
67GT390FB wrote:

Yata hey

correct. if WCF,Inc runs the fair but the county owns the property then pre-emption applies. if WCF,Inc both owns the land and operates the fair then we are sol.

If it is a public/private venture then I don't know the answer.
You can call the Commissioner of Revenue to be sure, but it looks like the Corporation owns the land.

From their website"

http://www.washcofair.com/History.htm

As the Fair grew, the directors began to dream and plan. Seventy acres of land was purchased in 1975 just west of Abingdon and financed by the owner to provide housing for the Annual Burley Tobacco Festival and Farm Show. The present fairground is an outgrowth of the Annual Tobacco Festival. The Board employed Virginia Tech to work on a long range plan for the Fairground in 1976. The Fairground Development Campaign Committee was formed in 1977 to raise $150,000 to construct a 45,000 sq. ft. exhibit building, develop roads and install utilities. One hundred thousand dollars was raised toward building and development of land. The operating name of the project was “Washington County Fair and Tobacco Festival.”

LEO 229

imported post

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]CORPORATEDATAINQUIRY[/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]CORPID: 0076063-7[/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]STATUS:00ACTIVESTATUSDATE:03/01/76[/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]CORPNAME: Washington County Fairground, Inc.[/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]DATEOFCERTIFICATE:09/13/1956[/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]PERIODOFDURATION:INDUSTRYCODE:00[/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]STATEOFINCORPORATION:VAVIRGINIA[/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]STOCKINDICATOR:NNON-STOCK[/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]MERGERIND:CONVERSION/DOMESTICATIONIND:[/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]GOODSTANDINGIND:YMONITORINDICATOR:[/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]CHARTERFEE:CASENO:CASESTATUS:HEARINGDTE:[/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]R/ANAME:DOROTHYB.BOUCHER[/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"][/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]STREET:188E.MAINSTREETARRTNMAIL:[/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"][/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]CITY:ABINGDONSTATE:VAZIP:24210[/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]R/ASTATUS:4ATTORNEYEFF.DATE:04/30/80LOC.:195[/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]ACCEPTEDAR#:207730549DATE:09/27/07WASHINGTONCOUN[/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]CURRENTAR#:207730549DATE:09/27/07STATUS:AASSESSMENTINDICATOR:0[/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]YEARFEESPENALTYINTERESTTAXESBALANCETOTALSHARES[/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]0825.00[/font]

[font="'Courier New',monospace"]25.00[/font]

Resqu2

imported post

Agent19 wrote:

[align=left]http://www.washcova.com/departments/bos/archives/minutes/1998-08-11_m.pdf
pg.3 item 6[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]6
[font=TimesNewRoman,Bold][font=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Capital Improvements Program for Washington County Fair [/font][/font][font=TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic][font=TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic](Kenneth Reynolds, President[/align]

[align=left]& Gary Dutton, Board of Directors)[/align]
[/font][/font]

[align=left]Kenneth Reynolds, President of the Burley Tobacco Festival & Farm Show, Inc., and Gary[/align]

[align=left]Dutton, member of the Board of Directors for the organization, spoke regarding the proposed[/align]

[align=left]capital improvements program for the Washington County Fairgrounds. The Board of Directors[/align]

[align=left]is requesting funding from Washington County for approximately 25% of the estimated cost[/align]

[align=left]which would entail County monies of $100,000 for Phase I, $70,000 for Phase II, and $30,000[/align]

[align=left]for Phase III. The remaining 75% required for the improvements will be obtained through fund[/align]

[align=left]raising projects and possibly a small bank loan.[/align]

[align=left]Of concern to the Supervisors was that the requested money of $100,000 for Phase I was not[/align]

[align=left]budgeted for this fiscal year. Mr. Reeter addressed this concern by advising that a supplemental[/align]

[align=left]appropriation from reserve for contingency could be done now in the amount of $50,000. After[/align]

[align=left]a review of the County
=s preliminary audit is available, the amount of uncommitted reserves could[/align]

[align=left]be confirmed and the County could then determine if the remaining $50,000 would be available[/align]

[align=left]this fiscal year.[/align]
[font=TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic][font=TimesNewRoman,BoldItalic]

[align=left]On motion of Mr. Osborne, second by Mrs. Mumpower, it was resolved to appropriate $50,000[/align]

[align=left]from reserve for contingencies to assist with capital improvement projects at the Washington[/align]
County Fairgrounds.
[/font][/font]
WHY would the county give a private company money like this, does this make any difference? I don't think it does. If the county gives them money then I would like $50,000 when I need my private drive way repaved, what would be the difference??

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

The fairgrounds are owned and operated by the “[size=BURLEY TOBACCO FEST & FARM SHOW INC” ][/size]
It is not owned by Washington County Board of Supervisors.
Thanks,
Christy
Christianne E. Parker, CEcD
Assistant County Administrator/
Community and Economic Development
205 Academy Drive
Abingdon, VA 24210
Phone: (276) 525-1305
Fax: (276) 525-1309
www.washcova.com
[align=center][size= ][/size][/align] From: FlyboyEd@aol.com [mailto:FlyboyEd@aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 1:52 PM
To: Christianne E. Parker, CEcD
Subject: Washington County Fairgrounds?

[size=]Hi..[/size]
Can you tell me if the fairgroungs are public property or privately owned?
Thanks,
Ed Levine

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

BURLEY TOBACCO FEST & FARM SHOW INC. is a charitable organization.
http://tinyurl.com/3jp2d3

Looks like time to me to send some letters. No email address found.

BURLEY TOBACCO FESTIVAL AND FARM SHOW
PO BOX 711
ABINGDON, VA
24212-0711

Phone # (276) 628-6222

Yata hey

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

http://www.washcova.com/departments/bos/supervisors.php

Looks like Ken Renolds, the president, is ALSO on the BOS.

That is his email address for county business.
Thanks,
Christy
Christianne E. Parker, CEcD Assistant County Administrator/
Community and Economic Development
205 Academy Drive
Abingdon, VA 24210
Phone: (276) 525-1305
Fax: (276) 525-1309
www.washcova.com
[align=center][size= ][/size][/align] From: FlyboyEd@aol.com [mailto:FlyboyEd@aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2008 4:16 PM
To: Christianne E. Parker, CEcD
Subject: Re: Washington County Fairgrounds?

Thanks.. but Supervisor Ken Reynolds is one in the same as the president of the Burley Tobacco Fest and farm Show?
Can he be reached at kreynolds@washcova.com?
Thanks

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Email sent to kreynolds@washcova.com

I write to you in both your capacity as the President of the Burley Tobacco Festival and Farm Show and as a member of the Board of Supervisors. Please advise me if I am in error as to either of these positions.

Certain signage has appeared at the site of the Washington County Fairgrounds that is very distressing. Please see attachment.

This sign restricts law abiding citizens from the right to self-defense. This has never been the case before this year and I am quite sure that you have never had a serious problem because of past rules. Such rules only disarm your honest constituants not those with criminal intent. May I suggest an alternate wording, sir. NO ILLEGAL WEAPONS ALLOWED This small but important change will deliver your message but leave honest citizens as they have always been in the past. As visitors and guests at the fair who simply enjoy the festivities without incident. I look forward to your reply.

Marco

imported post

Since the Fairground owners have received public funds that may be the way to get the Town council to get the owners to remove the sign.

When is the next Town council meeting?