• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why Open Carry In The Wilderness?

ODA 226

imported post

MamaLiberty wrote:
Hmmm, ANY carry is especially good for those of us who could not (under any circumstances) even climb the tree!
Believe me. If Mr. Griz was coming at you, you WOULD GET UP THE TREE! :D

MamaLiberty

imported post

That's about as likely as me outrunning a lightning bolt or a freight train.

Luckily, I do carry a .45 autoloader and I know how to use it. :cool:

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ODA 226, if those had been my boots in your photo they would have been soppin' wet. Awesome post.

download

Code:

Orygunner

imported post

Obviously because if you're OCing the bear will see the gun and choose to leave you alone, because bears would rather find an easy victim.

I was on the river bank one day, OCing like I always do, when the river bank teller got this really suprised look! I asked her what was wrong, and she said a bear just walked in behind me with a ski mask on, butlooked at me, saw my gun, and ran back out the other way! Proof at last that OC deters bears!

A squirrel saw me OCing in the woods and asked me why I carry a gun. I said, "holy crap! a talking squirrel!" Thento answer, I shot the squirrel, and ate him!

To address the statement in the poster's caption that firearms are more useful than a camera: Not for McGuyver. He could build a bear snare, a bear tranquilizer,a bear hypnotizing machine or a jetpack using a 35mm (or digital!) camera, a shoestring, chewing gum, and the bear's own mucus. The only problem is, he needs you to distract the bear while he does it.

...Hope you have a gun...
...Orygunner...

(This post was intended to be sarcastic and humorous. Not to be taken seriously. No offense intended, except to bears (MOLON LABE, SMOKEY T. BEAR!!)Eerie similarities to the events described and real life events was not unintentional. OK, yes it was, and I hope you found it funny. Void where prohibited by bears.)

M@D H@TTER

imported post

Orygunner wrote:
Obviously because if you're OCing the bear will see the gun and choose to leave you alone, because bears would rather find an easy victim.

I was on the river bank one day, OCing like I always do, when the river bank teller got this really suprised look! I asked her what was wrong, and she said a bear just walked in behind me with a ski mask on, butlooked at me, saw my gun, and ran back out the other way! Proof at last that OC deters bears!

A squirrel saw me OCing in the woods and asked me why I carry a gun. I said, "holy crap! a talking squirrel!" Thento answer, I shot the squirrel, and ate him!

To address the statement in the poster's caption that firearms are more useful than a camera: Not for McGuyver. He could build a bear snare, a bear tranquilizer,a bear hypnotizing machine or a jetpack using a 35mm (or digital!) camera, a shoestring, chewing gum, and the bear's own mucus. The only problem is, he needs you to distract the bear while he does it.

...Hope you have a gun...
...Orygunner...

(This post was intended to be sarcastic and humorous. Not to be taken seriously. No offense intended, except to bears (MOLON LABE, SMOKEY T. BEAR!!)Eerie similarities to the events described and real life events was not unintentional. OK, yes it was, and I hope you found it funny. Void where prohibited by bears.)

ROFL at this entire post.

...I'm usually packing heat when tromping around in the woods. If you're going to carry in the urban jungle, why wouldn't you in the forest? ;)

protector84

imported post

OC is certainly preferable in this case due to quicker draw. However, situational awareness is the real key because if the bear is that close to you by the time you notice, it may be too late to even draw in time.

zrukman

imported post

Here's one that was found on a golf course in Harlan KY. This is why I carry when I play golf. The guy killed it with his two iron which means you have to get way to close to this beast. :shock:

TheMrMitch

imported post

zrukman wrote:
Holy Crap Mr Mitch! - I hope you're touching that after you emptied the entire magazine into it.
Nah. I handle all kinds of snakes....milk rattlers for fun and then eat them. I putthis one under my cabin.....no more mice.:D