Thread: OT: D.C. Schools

Post imported post

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayof...ref=rss_latest

"We need to see radical changes because the outcomes for kids that are happening right now are robbing them of their futures," said Rhee, a Democrat who supports President Bush's landmark education law known as No Child Left Behind.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayof...ref=rss_latest

"We need to see radical changes because the outcomes for kids that are happening right now are robbing them of their futures," said Rhee, a Democrat who supports President Bush's landmark education law known as No Child Left Behind.
    I have a concordance of the U.S. Constitution and Amendments and have never found the word 'education'. More reason why I no longer trust the repugnant GOP to conservatism.

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    I have a concordance of the U.S. Constitution and Amendments and have never found the word 'education'. More reason why I no longer trust the repugnant GOP to conservatism.

So in other words, you would rather see thousands upon thousands of children graduate functionally illiterate and with no comprehension of basic math, rather than have the feds step in because the states weren't doing the job.

Post imported post

I like the idea of NCLB, but the execution of it is what pisses me off. I have personally spoken to a dozen or so teachers and have heard second had from twice that number, and ever single one hates it. Much like gun control, it's something that just is not working. It's a bass-akwards way of trying to fix the problem. When a school has a hard time getting students taught, instead of trying to help the school teach better the school is punished with reduced funding, making it even harder to teach. The result is you see stuff like administration lowering passing grades, and teachers only teaching students how to pass the standardized tests. The scores look good on paper, but in reality the kids are still not learing anything.

Post imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
    Doug Huffman wrote:

So in other words, you would rather see thousands upon thousands of children graduate functionally illiterate and with no comprehension of basic math, rather than have the feds step in because the states weren't doing the job.
    Do you really think the fedscould do a better job?
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776