• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: D.C. Schools

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/09/09/dc.schools/index.html?eref=rss_latest

"We need to see radical changes because the outcomes for kids that are happening right now are robbing them of their futures," said Rhee, a Democrat who supports President Bush's landmark education law known as No Child Left Behind.
I have a concordance of the U.S. Constitution and Amendments and have never found the word 'education'. More reason why I no longer trust the repugnant GOP to conservatism.

Flyer22

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
I have a concordance of the U.S. Constitution and Amendments and have never found the word 'education'. More reason why I no longer trust the repugnant GOP to conservatism.

So in other words, you would rather see thousands upon thousands of children graduate functionally illiterate and with no comprehension of basic math, rather than have the feds step in because the states weren't doing the job.

FogRider

imported post

I like the idea of NCLB, but the execution of it is what pisses me off. I have personally spoken to a dozen or so teachers and have heard second had from twice that number, and ever single one hates it. Much like gun control, it's something that just is not working. It's a bass-akwards way of trying to fix the problem. When a school has a hard time getting students taught, instead of trying to help the school teach better the school is punished with reduced funding, making it even harder to teach. The result is you see stuff like administration lowering passing grades, and teachers only teaching students how to pass the standardized tests. The scores look good on paper, but in reality the kids are still not learing anything.

Thundar

imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:

So in other words, you would rather see thousands upon thousands of children graduate functionally illiterate and with no comprehension of basic math, rather than have the feds step in because the states weren't doing the job.
Do you really think the fedscould do a better job?