• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Picking out lower receivers (AR-15, of course)

AbNo

imported post

Apparently, being that the lower receivers are the (currently) regulated portion of the AR-15, I figure I should pick up a couple of those in the next few months, and build from there.

I'm kind of a do-it-yourself kinda guy, so I'd more or less like to build one from scratch.

Does anyone have any personal experience doing so?

I'd ask over at ARFCom, but I'd rather some people here's opinions first....:)

I'm thinking I would like to get a couple of different caliber options for it, since (from what I remember a few years ago) switching out the upper/barrel on those isn't too bad. Probably standard .223, and either something crazy, or something else common (7.62x39?).

AbNo

imported post

RIAShooter wrote:
6.8 is a lot of fun
I said something common. I don't even know where to get 6.8 around here. :)

Also, Dustin, if what you are saying is correct, I can get an entire, disassembled LR sent to my house, but not an assembled one? :uhoh:

Dustin

imported post

AbNo wrote:
Also, Dustin, if what you are saying is correct, I can get an entire, disassembled LR sent to my house, but not an assembled one? :uhoh:

Correct.

Below is a STRIPPED Lower Reciver. NO FFL REQUIRED for ordering, b/c it's hollow.

star15.jpg

Now below we have a COMPLETE Lower Reciever. FFL Required for ordering b/c it's fully functional.

cmmgl002.jpg

So what you want to do is order a STRIPPED lower reciever (Not important where from) and then order the GUTS (More Important). You don't want to buy the cheapests internal parts available. The Guts of the trigger assembly are important.

So the Trigger Kit will look like this;

Lower%20Parts%20Kit.jpg

I know it looks complicated with all those pieces, but they come with instructions, and there is plenty of help online.

BTW< Just so you know. I don't own an AR15, but I'm prior service USMC. So I know enough about it to offer assistance here. I too am buying bits and pieces to eventually erect my own AR15 like your doing.

Hope this helps :cool:

eyesopened

imported post

Dustin wrote:
You can get lower recievers sent to your house. Just not Complete Lower Recievers. Those have to be sent to your local FFL.

OMG, this is a very INCORRECT statement. This is totally wrong. The lower receiver whether it is fully assembled or not is the serialized part of the firearm. Since it is the serialized part, it MUST be sent to a FFL. What you are probably thinking of is the upper receiver. The Upper receiver can be sent fully assembled or stripped to your house because it is not considered a firearm. I bought a fully assembled upper from CMMG and had it UPS to my house, no FFL required for that. To buy my stripped lower receiver (Doublestar), I had to buy it from an FFL, but I could have easily have bought a stripped lower or fully assembled from my buddy (Thank you VA!).

I like the RRA Lower Parts Kits (LPK) personally. Talk to Pete @ http://ar15sales.com/to get you really good prices. This gets you all the pieces of the firing control group, magazine catch, bolt catch and pistol grip. You'll still need to purchase a buffer tube, buffer spring, the buffer itself as well as a stock to have a completely assembled lower. Then you can just buy a complete upper, pop it onto the lower and push in the take down pins and you've got yourself an AR.

For assembly instructions take a look at this link: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

Here is an awesome video of the process: http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/RangeBag/video/LLE_AR15StrippedLower.wmv

My buddy used that video and the link above to assemble our lower receivers and we didn't screw up the bolt catch like the video:lol:

Dustin

imported post

OMG, Your so very Correct :lol:

After i posted that, I kept re-reading it b/c I knew something was not right, but couldn't find it.

What I meant to say is that you can order the Lower Receiver Parts Kit to install into your Stripped lower reciever.

But yes the stripped or complete lower reciever must be sent to an FFL.

Sorry for that misinformation. :?

eyesopened

imported post

1000ydshooter wrote:
I have a question. A bifferent cal upper can be put on any AR type reciever correct?So if i have a 5.56mm lower i can change over to a .308 by simply changing uppers?
Unfortunately the normal .556/223 lower is different than the .308 lower, thus making the upper not compatible. Here is a lot of good info including what calibers are compatible with the more common .556/223 lower: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=306487

David.Car

imported post

1000ydshooter wrote:
I have a question. A bifferent cal upper can be put on any AR type reciever correct?So if i have a 5.56mm lower i can change over to a .308 by simply changing uppers?
I certainly know you can take a beowulf .50AR upper and put it on any lower receiver ;)

Dustin

imported post

1000ydshooter wrote:
Basically the only part of a lower that matters when it comes to caliber is the magwell, so rounds that aresmall enough to feed through it will work without any modification, the upper does the rest. 9mm, 5.56,6.8SPC.

A 308 is of course too big. On the FAR right is the 5.56, then just to the left is the .308

D100_2911_img.jpg

As you can see below, the 6.8 SPC is virtually the same length. But the Magazines for them are different. They do however fit in the same Mag Well.

DSC03098.jpg

BOTTOM LINE:

A 9mm, 5.56, or 6.8 Upper Reciver, Fits UNIVERSALLY with the normal AR15 Lower Reciver.

A .308/7.62 DOES NOT.

thorvaldr

imported post

Do you mean 6.5 Grendel?

Here's the website for Alexander arms, the guys who make Grendel and Beowulf:

http://www.alexanderarms.com/

I have no experience with these but I know they use a AR-15 lower.
My understanding is that Beowulf is roughly equivalent to .458 SOCOM.
Alexander arms claims that Grendel can reach out to 1200 yards with the high ballistic coefficient Lapua bullets.

Either of these would be expensive if you don't reload. The above website has dyes, brass, and reloading data.

thorvaldr

imported post

Dustin wrote:
If you compare the 6.8 to the 5.56 on any ballistics chart, the 6.8 is very nasty :cool:
The idea behind 6.8SPC was to SERIOUSLY outperform 5.56 in close in thump without sacrificing a lot of weight and magazine capacity. Apparently they gave up some effective range, though. And that stuff sure was expensive last I checked.

Oh and BTW somebody mentioned 7.62X39. I've heard of a lot of people say they can't get that stuff to feed in an AR-15 platform. I guess the cases have an aggressive taper and the mag well on an AR-15 lower doesn't allow the magazine to curve right so they will feed.

Dustin

imported post

thorvaldr wrote:
Dustin wrote:
thorvaldr wrote:
Do you mean 6.5 Grendel?

No I mean that 6.8 SPC
Sorry I wasn't referencing your post I was responding to 1000 yards question about "the 6.5 SPC and the .50 beauowulf". But I didn't quote his post and then you typed faster than me. My bad.

Ah No problem.

Eitherway I'm not able to even find an Upper chambered in anything but , 5.56, 9mm, 6.8, .308/7.62. :? What's this 6.5 ?