• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone gonna OC at McCain/Palin Rally 9/10 in Fairfax?

nova

imported post

I had planned on going until I found out the time. I have class just around that time. :?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I may go, but I'm figuring that the SS won't let firearms in the secured perimeter, also the Catholic school and public school in the same block could present roadblocks to lawful OC as well.

possumboy

imported post

longwatch wrote:
I may go, but I'm figuring that the SS won't let firearms in the secured perimeter, also the Catholic school and public school in the same block could present roadblocks to lawful OC as well.

That is what I was thinking. If the Secret Service is involved, there is probably a security zone declared.

They should ask you to leave before granting access to the security zone. I do not see why they would treat a gun different than a knife. They are both prohibited in these zones. They do not arrest you for a knife - just tell you that you cannot enter with it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

longwatch wrote:
Outside of the secured perimeter and on the public sidewalk or street they wouldn't.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

longwatch wrote:
Unless for crowd control purposes they got routed through those places.
That's kind of like getting pushed off the sidewalk into the street by a LEO, then being arrested for jay walking isn't it?

Ya I know, I'm just being argumentative - but that's the way I am. :lol:

Yata hey

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HEY, FELLAS!

This isa little bit dangerous, isn't it? I mean the thread title, "OC at...Rally."

Somewhere in the Mt. Jack arrrest threads somebody cited afederal statute regarding weapons near a person being protected by the Secret Service. I couldn't find it in the current stickied threads; but I know I'm not imagining this.

We need to make it very, very plain for new OCers and people who may not have followed the Mt. Jack threads that it is not a good idea to OC at the rally. Near the rally, outside the secure area, maybe--depending on the statute.

This is not a situation where you want to screw up on your law. Norwould you want a new OCer to have a mistaken idea and try to OCat the rally.

Ed, please be careful with your thread titles/sub-titles.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Does anybody know the extent of the secret security zone?
Will it be 100 yd - 1000 yd - 1 mile or will the entire county/state be disarmed during the rally?
Go Sarah & that ol' guy too!

:cool: Ah oh, bet I'm on their watch list........again.:cool:

Yata hey

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

Citizen wrote:
HEY, FELLAS!

This isa little bit dangerous, isn't it? I mean the thread title, "OC at...Rally."

Somewhere in the Mt. Jack arrrest threads somebody cited afederal statute regarding weapons near a person being protected by the Secret Service. I couldn't find it in the current stickied threads; but I know I'm not imagining this.

We need to make it very, very plain for new OCers and people who may not have followed the Mt. Jack threads that it is not a good idea to OC at the rally. Near the rally, outside the secure area, maybe--depending on the statute.

This is not a situation where you want to screw up on your law. Norwould you want a new OCer to have a mistaken idea and try to OCat the rally.

I think the title should be changed, as it appears to ask whether or not anyone is planning on committing a crime. Who would you ask that? Why would anyone on this board do such a thing?

One of the reasons the open carry movement has been so successful is that we know the law so well - sometimes better than law enforcement. This has benefited us time and again. I follow the law and I expect others to do the same. Regardless of what you think of the law, it has been demonstrated on this board multiple times that federal law allows the Secret Service to maintain a gun free perimiter around a few specific people under very specific circumstances - and that certainly includes both John McCain and Sarah Palin at this particular time.If you disagree with the law, you should advocate for the law to be changed or start a philosophical argument as to whether or not current law is wise or productive (or not). As this site has grown, we have started attracting many new members. Let's be very clear about the state of federallaw - open carrytoo close toJohn McCain right now = get arrested.

As far as open carrying anywhere outside of the security perimter, that's up to you. Virginia (and especially Fairfax) now has so many open carriers, that any number of people could inadvertently open carry near a political rally, and there's no crime in that.

richarcm

imported post

Could you open-carry a FAKE gun in order to get the point across and make your 2nd Amendment statement at the rally? Obviously you will get some crap for it but can they refuse you for it or have you arrested for it at all?

hsmith

imported post

SicSemperTyrannis wrote:
Citizen wrote:
HEY, FELLAS!

I think the title should be changed, as it appears to ask whether or not anyone is planning on committing a crime. Who would you ask that? Why would anyone on this board do such a thing?

One of the reasons the open carry movement has been so successful is that we know the law so well - sometimes better than law enforcement. This has benefited us time and again. I follow the law and I expect others to do the same. Regardless of what you think of the law, it has been demonstrated on this board multiple times that federal law allows the Secret Service to maintain a gun free perimiter around a few specific people under very specific circumstances - and that certainly includes both John McCain and Sarah Palin at this particular time.If you disagree with the law, you should advocate for the law to be changed or start a philosophical argument as to whether or not current law is wise or productive (or not). As this site has grown, we have started attracting many new members. Let's be very clear about the state of federallaw - open carrytoo close toJohn McCain right now = get arrested.

As far as open carrying anywhere outside of the security perimter, that's up to you. Virginia (and especially Fairfax) now has so many open carriers, that any number of people could inadvertently open carry near a political rally, and there's no crime in that.
I don't think ed ever was talking about entering the secure perimeter - as that would be quite foolish, it just won't happen and you WILL be arrested (I would assume).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

richarcm wrote:
Could you open-carry a FAKE gun in order to get the point across and make your 2nd Amendment statement at the rally? Obviously you will get some crap for it but can they refuse you for it or have you arrested for it at all?
Most definitely arrest you and charge you. A fake gun is a "real" gun if it deceives the viewer.

Charge you with the same thing they charged Myn Jack with - disturbing the peace and maybe find more.

Yata hey

hirundo82

imported post

richarcm wrote:
I think this would be a perfect place to make your point by wearing an empty holster. Nobody could make a valid argument that an empty holster even creates the appearance of a security threat, and IMHO it would be protected free speech.

richarcm

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
richarcm wrote:
Most definitely arrest you and charge you. A fake gun is a "real" gun if it deceives the viewer.

Charge you with the same thing they charged Myn Jack with - disturbing the peace and maybe find more.

Yata hey
What if it looked "real" but had the orange tips on it to signify that it was a phony? Like perhaps you holstered a watergun. Is there a law that says that a watergun can not be sold with a carrying device such as some sort of holster? LOL

Perhaps my question is a bit out there but perhaps it isn't at the same time. It would be nice to be able to make such a bold statement at a rally such as this but at the same time be within the law and make it obvious that you mean no harm. And to do it without being QUITE as cheesy as carrying Super Soakers into the rally......

Just wondering.

Most people at a McCain/Palin rally would probably be at least FAIRLY moderate on the 2nd amendment as it is so it might be a waste of time anyways....

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

richarcm wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
richarcm wrote:

Yata hey
What if it looked "real" but had the orange tips on it to signify that it was a phony? Like perhaps you holstered a watergun. Is there a law that says that a watergun can not be sold with a carrying device such as some sort of holster? LOL

Perhaps my question is a bit out there but perhaps it isn't at the same time. It would be nice to be able to make such a bold statement at a rally such as this but at the same time be within the law and make it obvious that you mean no harm. And to do it without being QUITE as cheesy as carrying Super Soakers into the rally......

Just wondering.

Most people at a McCain/Palin rally would probably be at least FAIRLY moderate on the 2nd amendment as it is so it might be a waste of time anyways....
So its safe to say that there are those that would like to make a statement, w/o risking serious problems with LE. To make such a statement, it would seem to me that you would have to attract some level of attention (be noticed) otherwise you are making no statement (unnoticed.) Example: CCing 5 blocks beyond the secured perimeter does nothing.

Carrying any weapon or weapon look alike openly in close proximaty to a secured zone will attract attention and unless you are prepared to deal with the possibilities might be better avoided. Note this is not in any way criticism of Mtn Jack, whom I support 100%. Operative phrase here is "prepared to deal with the possibilities."

Orange tipped air soft/water guns - still look real enough when holstered. Might not be a good idea to try to set up LEOs with an it looks real but it ain't, ha ha, scene - unless you are a considerable safe distance away from the action.

Empty holster? Now there is an interesting idea! Says something about who you (we) are - pro 2nd Amend et al, that you are not an eminent threat and an obviously noticeable statement. Might even garner some press coverage so you should dress and act accordingly - did I have to say that - YES.

To those that would object on the grounds that even being disarmed to make a statement is a step backwards, I do not disagree; however, I am flexible enough to take one step sideways to advance through another opportunity. To borrow an old ad slogan: progress is our most important product.

Now if our new female VP candidate were to OC while campaigning that would be the "Impossible Dream" come true. Imagine the impact, the press, the MMM, the antis in congress, the UN, etc. etc. Then to have her elected and continue to OC - beyond the limits of comprehension. You have to admit that it is a beautiful dream.

Yat hey