• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

[Article] Culpeper shoots down gun ordinance

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I recognize a few names, bravo! I call this a win.
http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2008/092008/09102008/409469

Culpeper shoots down gun ordinance

BY DONNIE JOHNSTON
The Culpeper Town Council last night backed down on a proposed ordinance amendment that would have prohibited the discharge of any firearm within the town limits.

That amendment had been suggested by police Chief Scott Barlow and had been recommended for approval by the Public Safety Committee.

Barlow argued that the town of Culpeper had grown too much to allow safe shooting of any kind, even varmint hunting in less-populated areas.

The present town ordinance allows residents to shoot groundhogs, snakes and other pests by permit.

Barlow said last month that he had turned down the only two requests that had come before him since assuming his job two years ago.

As with all gun issues, the proposed amendment was a hot topic and about a dozen opponents--several from the Virginia Citizens Defense League--showed up to protest.
Several openly carried holstered pistols on their belts, which is legal under the United States Constitution, and wore stickers that read, "Guns Save Lives."

"The view of our organization is to let state law apply," said Phillip Van Cleave, the league's president.

Van Cleave contended that parts of the town are still rural and even more will be when and if large farms are brought into the corporate limits through a boundary adjustment now being considered.

Ed Levine of Sterling said that town citizens should have the right to shoot "rats and rattlesnakes" and to target shoot if safety permitted.

And David Schneider of Jeffersonton told the Council that "this seems like a solution looking for a problem."

He said that not only should the no-shooting amendment be voted down but that the present permit ordinance should be abolished because it contained no criteria for issuance, a point with which several Council members later agreed.

One speaker said that he had been one of the two applicants for permits and applied only after both animal control and the town police refused to destroy pests, saying it was not their job.

"We should allow citizens to exercise their freedom," he said.

After the meeting the speaker refused to give his name to the press, saying he might get fired from his government job if his name appeared in the papers on a gun-related issue.

Councilman Jim Risner, who along with Mayor Prania Remikis voted for the amendment, said that it was "humorous to see stickers that say 'Guns Save Lives'" after hearing the talk about shooting varmints.

Councilman Billy Yowell, however, said, "I don't have a problem with the ordinance the way it is now. You still have a lot of rural parts of the town and these are where the [permit] requests are coming from."

Rimeikis, whose home backs up to a semi-rural area, didn't agree.
"I still don't feel comfortable popping off rounds--and I'm pretty good at it," said the mayor, who is retired military.

The eventual vote was 6-2 against the amendment. Councilman Mike Olinger was not present.

Councilman Duke duFrane asked the Ordinance Committee to look at rewriting the town law and provide criteria which the chief should use when considering requests.
He said it was not fair to Barlow to make such decisions if there were not criteria by which safety issues were measured.

Donnie Johnston:
Email: djohnston@freelancestar.com

ed

Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

http://www.starexponent.com/cse/news/local/article/town_gun_law_change_shot_down/20980/

Town gun law change shot down
By Allison Brophy Champion

Published: September 9, 2008

More than a dozen members of the Virginia Citizen Defense League, a Fairfax County-based guns rights group, showed up at Tuesday’s Culpeper Town Council meeting packing pistols and rival opinions about the police chief’s proposal to do away with varmint shooting in town.

In the end, after about 30 minutes of civil public comment on the issue, Town Council voted 6-2 to not change the local gun ordinance, as recommended by Police Chief Scott Barlow, and to continue to allow people to obtain special permits to discharge guns within the corporate limits for the purpose of killing garden pests like groundhogs.

Mayor Pranas Rimeikis and Councilman Jim Risner voted with the minority and Councilman Mike Olinger was absent.

The Town Council Public Safety Committee will continue to look at the permit process to ensure that town citizens discharging firearms know how to do so properly and have enough land on which to safely shoot their gun.

But for now, the law stands.

One by one, members of the VCDL urged Town Council not to “add another layer of government” and to let state laws regarding wrongful discharge of firearms to address the issue.

The second amendment advocates wore bright orange stickers stating, “Guns save lives,” standing at the podium in the county boardroom with pistols on their hips and a circular carpet in front of them marked with Culpeper Minutemen wielding shotguns.

“I don’t like to see firearms laws created that don’t need to be created,” said VCDL member Ed Levine of why he drove from his home in Sterling to speak on the issue. Such laws inhibit the freedoms of law-abiding citizens, said Levine outside before the meeting, encouraging this reporter to get a gun.

Vice Mayor Billy Yowell said the town still has rural areas where guns can be safely discharged. He said he understood the chief’s safety concerns in more congested areas, but that there had been no problems through the years with the ordinance as written.

nitrovic

imported post

Good job guys!!! I wish I could have been there, I had to work. I hope the Mayor gets voted out, he is WAY to liberal for this area.

Glock27Bill

imported post

Way to go guys.

Sorry I couldn't get out of work to make the trek across the county tohelp out.

So, Ed, what was the reporter's response when you offered to help him learn to shoot?

I cracked up when I read that line.

ed

Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
So, Ed, what was the reporter's response when you offered to help him learn to shoot?

I basically told HER that she should have a gun too and she said she had bever shot one in her life.. and we JUST started talking and it was time to go in session.

Here is my AUDIO file about the Culpeper council meetingfrom the NRA Cam Edwards Show

http://www.flyboyed.com/cam/interview.wav

Harper1227

imported post

ed wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:

I basically told HER that she should have a gun too and she said she had bever shot one in her life.. and we JUST started talking and it was time to go in session.

Here is my AUDIO file about the Culpeper council meetingfrom the NRA Cam Edwards Show

http://www.flyboyed.com/cam/interview.wav
Well done as usual Ed. Intelligent and informative. Way to plug VCDL and OCDO!!!